ADVERTISEMENT

So whats our weakness this year?

L.O.D.

Blue Chip Prospect
Feb 4, 2024
Seriously can't think of a weakness.

One of if not the oldest most experienced in NCAA.

10 players shoot over 30% from 3

Best defensive gaurd
A top 3 defensive big
2 other Defensive dogs in Garrison and Oweh
FF experience pg
Great attitudes
Deep everywhere so deep it's likely platoons.

What is it we will struggle with? Penetration ? I would think all the shooters leaves a open lane making that easier. Superstar? Talent isn't always skilled and in college looking like skill is trumping talent anyway. Pope's got the players to run whatever he wants.

Not saying we go 40 0 but at same time I can't think of 5 teams better. Maybe just bias on my part but this year looks better than most even without a megastar.

Almost impossible to tell without at least seeing them play a few games. Easy to see the positive and potential in the summer.

I don't see much weakness now either, but I'm sure something will arise.

If I HAD to say now, I'd say ball handling and more so turnovers. Especially if we play the pace I'm seeing mentioned. I'd bet Krisa will have games he has as many assists to the other team as ours. He'll be a damn killer others, though.

Best defensive gaurd
A top 3 defensive big
FF experience pg
Great attitudes

What is it we will struggle with? Penetration ? I would think all the shooters leaves a open lane making that easier. Superstar? Talent isn't always skilled and in college looking like skill is trumping talent anyway. Pope's got the players to run whatever he wants.

Not saying we go 40 0 but at same time I can't think of 5 teams better. Maybe just bias on my part but this year looks better than most even without a megastar.
1. A coach that has been coaching 9 years, but is 0-2 in the tournament.
2. A STAR player. Maybe Jaxson Robinson is that guy though.

I'm not complaining, but these are weaknesses.

#1 doesn't bother me. That is most coaches at smaller schools early in their career. Understandable concern though.

#2 is my thought as well. We may have that guy, or a few of them, but we don't know that yet.

Think Butler and Amari are the 2 anchors and the teams success flows through them.. they might not be the Star but I think they are 2 most important

Superstar.
Somehow, Cal losing in first round has morphed in to Superstars aren't needed.
Having one doesn't guarantee success.
But not having one practically guarantees little success.
3 Of 4 Final Four had All Americans.
Robinson needs to make big leap if we want special regular season and/or deep run.

Also, need a good Robin on offense. Like 3rd team all conference good.
Lot of candidates, one has to step up. But fourth leading scorer at Wake Forest or 3rd leading scorer at Dayton aren't pencilled in at that level yet.

Almost impossible to tell without at least seeing them play a few games. Easy to see the positive and potential in the summer.

I don't see much weakness now either, but I'm sure something will arise.

If I HAD to say now, I'd say ball handling and more so turnovers. Especially if we play the pace I'm seeing mentioned. I'd bet Krisa will have games he has as many assists to the other team as ours. He'll be a damn killer others, though.
I’m with you, I’m not 100% sold on our point guard situation. Butler is more of a combo guard. Krisa is a pure point, but has choked in the tournament. We don’t need them to be All-Americans but we do need them to be good to make any noise in March.

Turnovers, rebounding, and who is where and in what position on the court (not what position they play). You can have superstar players like the NBA Olympic team almost get beat because they have not played together. I can see passes to the wrong area or person, timing, etc. as likely weaknesses.

I see players being confident and calm because the Coach has prepaired then for the season and for specific opponents, their tendencies, strengths and weaknesses.
It seems we will now scout what the other team does.
A novel approach.
We will also be fast paste.

Never see it talked about, but Pope won games in the CBI at Utah Valley (4-3 in 3 years) and made it to the NIT Quarterfinals at BYU.

Nothing staggering, but I think his lack of NCAA success in limited opportunities is painted as lack of tournament success.

I don’t think they are the same thing, and I’d expect him to do fine in the big tournament with all the resources at play here.

Pope's head coaching experience has been at a religious school. A strict religious school. Making the NCAA at all is surprising.

Weakness isn't an issue, Basketball teams put only 5 players on the court at a time so it's susceptible to being dominated by a single clearly superior talent. To put it into math terms, we have 3.5 standard deviation players. (Around 1 in 4000) Extraordinary players are around 4.5 standard deviation. (1 in 100,000) To me, just going by reputations, we appear to be a very good team. What we don't have is a Marcus Camby/Larry Bird type who can haul good journeymen into post-season success. I hate to say it, but [player who must not be named] on [team that must not be named] appears to be that kind of good.

Best defensive gaurd
A top 3 defensive big
FF experience pg
Great attitudes

Superstar
Scoring
I could see ball handling be an issue
Coaching is still questionable

You can't see 5 teams better? Take off the blue-tinted glasses for a minute.

Reactions: Zissou87
Superstar
Scoring
I could see ball handling be an issue
Coaching is still questionable

You can't see 5 teams better? Take off the blue-tinted glasses for a minute.

These are all valid concerns.

UK doesn't win national titles or make final fours without at least one high level future nba player.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Superstar.
Somehow, Cal losing in first round has morphed in to Superstars aren't needed.
Having one doesn't guarantee success.
But not having one practically guarantees little success.
3 Of 4 Final Four had All Americans.
Robinson needs to make big leap if we want special regular season and/or deep run.

Also, need a good Robin on offense. Like 3rd team all conference good.
Lot of candidates, one has to step up. But fourth leading scorer at Wake Forest or 3rd leading scorer at Dayton aren't pencilled in at that level yet.
Don't flame me for not following other teams' rosters, but has UConn had a superstar in either of the last 2 seasons?

BTW I actually agree with you. Having a 'go-to' guy would be nice.

I’m with you, I’m not 100% sold on our point guard situation. Butler is more of a combo guard. Krisa is a pure point, but has choked in the tournament. We don’t need them to be All-Americans but we do need them to be good to make any noise in March.
Butler is on an All-Conference team at the end of the season. The Butler/Oweh backcourt is one of the best in the SEC.

Don't flame me for not following other teams' rosters, but has UConn had a superstar in either of the last 2 seasons?

BTW I actually agree with you. Having a 'go-to' guy would be nice.
Yes. Clingan who went 7th this year. And the year before they had Sanogo who averaged 17 and 7. Final four MOP.

I don't think defense will be. I think our biggest weakness will be who gets points when shots aren't falling?

We have good to great shooters, but do we have a DUDE that can just go get his?

Reactions: NociHTTP
Butler is on an All-Conference team at the end of the season. The Butler/Oweh backcourt is one of the best in the SEC.
Yes, but I don’t see him as a pure point guard on offense. I attended both Aztec games in Louisville last year against Alabama and Creighton. Butler brought the ball up the court a lot but wasn’t really a playmaker on offense. Which likely is fine in Pope’s ball sharing attack. But I wouldn’t expect more than 7 points/3 assists a game from him. Great defender though.

Yes, but I don’t see him as a pure point guard on offense. I attended both Aztec games in Louisville last year against Alabama and Creighton. Butler brought the ball up the court a lot but wasn’t really a playmaker on offense. Which likely is fine in Pope’s ball sharing attack. But I wouldn’t expect more than 7 points/3 assists a game from him. Great defender though.
I get what you’re saying. I cannot wait to see how Pope uses this roster.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
This team has one guy who has played in this system. None of these guys have ever played together in a game.

Most games we will be going up against teams that have guys that have multiple guys that have played in their system for multiple years.

Experience is a strength, but experience playing together in Pope’s system is a weakness.

This team has one guy who has played in this system. None of these guys have ever played together in a game.

Most games we will be going up against teams that have guys that have multiple guys that have played in their system for multiple years.

Experience is a strength, but experience playing together in Pope’s system is a weakness.
Maybe they'll have enough time over the summer and early fall? They seem like a bunch of cerebral players.

I don't think defense will be. I think our biggest weakness will be who gets points when shots aren't falling?

We have good to great shooters, but do we have a DUDE that can just go get his?
Nobody can "just go get his". Everybody misses shots from time to time. Mighty Casey, after all, struck out. That amazing Duke team with Zion Williamson #1 and Reddish #3 and Barret #10 crapped the bed in the tournament. The idea that there are magic players is a weird one.

Nobody can "just go get his". Everybody misses shots from time to time. Mighty Casey, after all, struck out. That amazing Duke team with Zion Williamson #1 and Reddish #3 and Barret #10 crapped the bed in the tournament. The idea that there are magic players is a weird one.
I had to look up those draft rankings. What a draft. It included the immortals Sekou Doumbouya, Chuma Okeke, Luka Samanic, Goga Bitadze, and Dylan Windler in the 1st round. There were other names I didn't recognize in the 1st but I suspected they might have had more of a career than I suspected. The 2nd round included almost no name I recognized.

What I took from that is confirmation that not even the pros can predict player development and successful college teams aren't always stuffed to the gills with draft picks.

Maybe they'll have enough time over the summer and early fall? They seem like a bunch of cerebral players.
I’m guessing every other team is practicing this summer and fall just as much as our guys. And many of them have been on the same team together through multiple years.

If we are talking weaknesses, that is one. We are playing catch-up compared to most other teams.

No it really isn't. Fox was a player that could get his. So was Ulis. So were guys like Quickley and Wall.

What's weird is you think that there aren't players that can take control of a game.

Yeah, that's really the only other thing I'm concerned about. I hope people let Pope build and work this year.
Outside of a Kenny Payne like run at UofL every coach should get a fair shot their first couple of seasons.

No it really isn't. Fox was a player that could get his. So was Ulis. So were guys like Quickley and Wall.

What's weird is you think that there aren't players that can take control of a game.
Probably not the best example. Wall was definitely the man when he was here but look at his last UK performance. Superstars or not that loaded team crap the bed. If superstars ensured success Cal would have had 8 titles here.

Reactions: IbnSaran
One true star player (go to guy) and an entirely new group having to learn to play together for the first time. I'm confident in the coaching though.

Reactions: CrimsonCats

They missed shots like everyone else.

Mashburn could

Yeah, that's really the only other thing I'm concerned about. I hope people let Pope build and work this year.
Outside of a Kenny Payne like run at UofL every coach should get a fair shot their first couple of seasons.
It will certainly not affect this year’s team and I look forward to seeing how well we do in Pope’s first year, but having seven (7) Senior players leave after your first season, along with the scary possibility of others transferring out, does not seem like a way to “build” a program … a team, yes, but a year-to-year sustaining program, perhaps not. Having said that, it may well be that Pope will have to substantially do this every year, because of NIL$$$ and ease of transfer … just like seemingly most every other program has to now. It might be so hard to build a "program" with year-to-year roster continuity now that Pope will recruit multiple veterans every season. If so, no reflection on him or the Kentucky brand, of course … just the way it is. It’s Wild Wild West every year now, it seems to me. Sadly so …

Last edited:
Reactions: Zissou87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT