ADVERTISEMENT

So Mitch goes all in on his pal Drew and that ends up making UK and him look silly

Why did Norlander come out saying that Drew had decided to stay at Baylor if there was “no offer”????

Just because the terms aren’t known doesn’t mean an offer wasn’’t extended and you SHOULD know that, but you want to defend Mitch.
You do understand that you can interview for a job, even travel for an in person interview, before any official offer is made, right?

• Wow
Reactions: catben
You DON’T allow it to go public with EVERY college basketball media member pumping it out if that coach has an inkling of saying NO!! It’s the public TURN DOWN that’s the problem here.

So are you saying this DOESN’T make Mitch and UK look bad???? That’s REAL “stupid”!!!!

Now it looks like we are going to have to settle for someone UNLESS Mitch can get Hurley or Donovan.

I won’t be holding my breath.
ffs.

Reactions: sefus12
Yard Breaker said three big names left. Pitino, Pope and Donovan. What if all three of these say no, who would be next if no big names left?
Pitino??!!!!

Pope???!!!!!!

Those 2 should be WAAAAAYYYYYY down the list!!

I would want Beard or Golden before those 2!!! Heck I'd take Pearl over those 2!!!

Donovan is the one if he wants it.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Drew has his convictions and reasons for not taking the job. Why is it embarrassing. Not everyone bows down to the UK gods.
Not embarrassing for Drew, but EXTREMELY embarrassing for Mitch!!!

Allowing UK Basketball to be turned down PUBLICLY is the problem.

Not embarrassing for Drew, but EXTREMELY embarrassing for Mitch!!!

Allowing UK Basketball to be turned down PUBLICLY is the problem.
Pitino was our 3rd or 4th choice. Lute Olsen was 1 and pJ carlisamo accepted the job and backed out. I think there was one more but I can’t remember who.

And I don’t think Cal was our 1st choice either.

• Wow
Reactions: UK90 and catben
There’s no “more than once.” I don’t believe the Twitter rumors that there was first an offer to Hurley. I think Drew was our first serious target.

But now maybe we can go balls out after Hurley. But it’s gonna take a crazy hefty offer.
But the OP said you don’t make an offer unless you know the answer will be Yes, yet most everyone wants to throw the kitchen sink at Hurley despite the likelihood of him still saying no. Zero logic in OP post.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Pitino was our 3rd or 4th choice. Lute Olsen was 1 and pJ carlisamo accepted the job and backed out. I think there was one more but I can’t remember who.

All of that didn't come out until AFTER Rick was hired. But that was a different time and era.

I realize it is much harder to keep these things under wraps no days, but Mitch should have known before he ALLOWED all of the leaks. It has just Made HIM and UK look bad.

That's my ONLY gripe. Now, if he can lure in Hurley or Donovan, I will eat ALL the crow you want!!!

But the OP said you don’t make an offer unless you know the answer will be Yes, yet most everyone wants to throw the kitchen sink at Hurley despite the likelihood of him still saying no. Zero logic in OP post.
ALLOWING it to become public to the point where a coach makes a FREAKIN statement that he is staying at his current school is the PROBLEM!!!

Not the negotiations!!! It's the PUBLIC TURN DOWN!!!

AND, getting turned down by the 2 time defending national champion coach is a WHOLE LOT different than being turned down by Baylor's coach!!!

That is the "logic".

Oh, definitely not. Billy Donovan was our clear first choice in both the 07 and 09 job searches. It was only after he rejected us both times that we turned our attention to other candidates.

Seems like we never get our first choice, but it usually works out OK anyways.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
You DON’T allow it to go public with EVERY college basketball media member pumping it out if that coach has an inkling of saying NO!! It’s the public TURN DOWN that’s the problem here.

So are you saying this DOESN’T make Mitch and UK look bad???? That’s REAL “stupid”!!!!

Now it looks like we are going to have to settle for someone UNLESS Mitch can get Hurley or Donovan.

I won’t be holding my breath.
Is Mitch the one that tracked planes and was calling a restaurant to badger Drew? I must have missed that one.

One thing's for sure. We need an azzhole with balls of steel....not a Bible study buddy for Mitch!!!!
Drew has no hard core initiative or he wouldn't have been in Waco for 22 years.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Is Mitch the one that tracked planes and was calling a restaurant to badger Drew? I must have missed that one.
No, but Mitch should have known the family didn't want to leave Waco. Before you ALLOW all of this to be public, you MUST KNOW the coach is coming here 100%.

Unless we get Hurley or Donovan, this is going to be a HUGE embarrassment for UK and specifically Mitch.

Reactions: BGCATFAN2012
No, but Mitch should have known the family didn't want to leave Waco. Before you ALLOW all of this to be public, you MUST KNOW the coach is coming here 100%.

Unless we get Hurley or Donovan, this is going to be a HUGE embarrassment for UK and specifically Mitch.
That’s the whole point. This was public in part because of our crazy fans, not because of Mitch. And if Drew were willing to send his family to Lexington to check it out, the interest was very real. And no, it’s not embarrassing if we don’t get any of those 3. Disappointing, but not embarrassing.

I’m not trying to be mean, but you really need to relax about this.

• Haha
This makes me so mad!!!

That’s why you don’t go after someone unless you KNOW they will take it!!!
No OP, only you and your goofy drama queen buddies who were posting garbage in every thread about how you'd rather have Calipari over Drew or hoping his plane would crash, are making UK and the fanbase look silly.
You don't know a damn thing but, post and comment like you've been sitting right beside Barnhart all through this process.
You and the rest of your ilk are idiots.

No, but Mitch should have known the family didn't want to leave Waco.
So Mitch should’ve already known how his wife, kids and (apparently) mother-in-law felt about it from the start of the search?

Methinks you might be drifting toward the unhinged unreasonable side here.

After a couple of minutes to think about it...this might be a positive thing.

Barhart wanted Drew
Crafts want Hurley

Now the Crafts have their guy up to the plate with full control over what is pitched.

No OP, only you and your goofy drama queen buddies who were posting garbage in every thread about how you'd rather have Calipari over Drew or hoping his plane would crash, are making UK and the fanbase look silly.
You don't know a damn thing but, post and comment like you've been sitting right beside Barnhart all through this process.
You and the rest of your ilk are idiots.
I NEVER said ANY of those things you have tried to link me to!!!

YOU are the "idiot" by lumping me in with ANY of the people "wanting Calipari over Drew" or his "Plane would crash", that shows just how in tune YOU are with this entire thread!!

I wanted Cal gone 2 years ago!!!

This thread is TOTALLY about Mitch being EMBARRASSED by allowing Scott Drew to PUBLICLY turn UK down!!! Even BEFORE we had the opportunity to EXHAUST every effort to bring in Hurley or Donovan!! NOTHING ELSE!!!

And "YOU don't know a _amn thing" either!!!

YOU are the "idiot" by lumping me in with ANY of the people "wanting Calipari over Drew" or his "Plane would crash", that shows just how in tune YOU are with this entire thread!!

This thread is TOTALLY about Mitch being EMBARRASSED by allowing Scott Drew to PUBLICLY turn UK down!!! Even BEFORE we had the opportunity to EXHAUST every effort to bring in Hurley or Donovan!! NOTHING ELSE!!!

I know you've been in numerous threads trashing Drew and his record at Baylor. And I do know that you've been a part of a very vocal minority who have been pushing Hurley and Donovan over anyone else for the last few days. I've seen posts that claim Drew wouldn't have been a good fit at UK because of his faith or because he isn't a extrovert or any of the things you guys think the coach should be.
I've got news for you...Hurley would be a terrible fit in Lexington/KY. He's a New Englander through and through. As badly as Pitino got along with Kentuckians, Hurley would be even worse! And even if you did get him to KY, he's not staying very long. His goal is a NBA job. Plus, there is no guarantee he would even be successful at UK. He only struck gold at UConn the last two years. His previous record there would have gotten him fired from UK!

And believe it or not, this isn't the first time a coach has turned down a offer. Barhart certainly didn't make a public statement about it so, why are you mad at him again?
Good grief! Just calm down and support whoever the choice is!

• Wow
fire MITCH. Nobody wants him as boss. John Calipari destroyed Barnhart yesterday.
Fire Mitch. Hire new AD. Then hire coach. We may lose a year but Mitch gone is Worth it

This makes me so mad!!!

That’s why you don’t go after someone unless you KNOW they will take it!!!
Yeah , I'm a Christian , but the religious explanation Coach Drew put out kinda makes UK look silly . I think the entire thing with Drew was bad timing .. he should have been down the list a few names . I wish him the best , just not a good fit for us .

Only thing Mitch did wrong with Drew for sure is offer him before offering Donovan. He may have put Drew before other guys he shouldn’t have too, but we can only speculate on that since only Donovan has made a clear enough statement.

Honestly don’t know how you function on a daily basis if you are this irrational about a coaching search. There is no embarrassment here. Maybe you should just check back in a few weeks and see who we end up with.

1) You have NO IDEA what discussions have been had behind the scenes by Mitch and his team. None. Nada.
2) How is this embarrassing? Drew was interested enough to fly his family to Lex at a moment’s notice to check the city out. If they had liked it, we are likely having a much different discussion right now.
3) Using caps lock and exclamation points (quite a bit in your case) doesn’t make your emotional opinions any more valid.
4) You should just come out and simply say you really don’t like Mitch.

Only thing Mitch did wrong with Drew for sure is offer him before offering Donovan. He may have put Drew before other guys he shouldn’t have too, but we can only speculate on that since only Donovan has made a clear enough statement.
I don't understand the attraction to Donovan. He has never had to deal with NIL or the Portal and would bring no players with him. It's too late to start recruiting for next season and the list of quality transfers will have disappeared before Barnhart could even offer the job to Donovan. I mean, I'd at least like to field a competitive team next year.

Reactions: mdlUK.1 and sefus12
I know you've been in numerous threads trashing Drew and his record at Baylor. And I do know that you've been a part of a very vocal minority who have been pushing Hurley and Donovan over anyone else for the last few days. I've seen posts that claim Drew wouldn't have been a good fit at UK because of his faith or because he isn't a extrovert or any of the things you guys think the coach should be.
I've got news for you...Hurley would be a terrible fit in Lexington/KY. He's a New Englander through and through. As badly as Pitino got along with Kentuckians, Hurley would be even worse! And even if you did get him to KY, he's not staying very long. His goal is a NBA job. Plus, there is no guarantee he would even be successful at UK. He only struck gold at UConn the last two years. His previous record there would have gotten him fired from UK!

And believe it or not, this isn't the first time a coach has turned down a offer. Barhart certainly didn't make a public statement about it so, why are you mad at him again?
Good grief! Just calm down and support whoever the choice is!
I have NEVER said one word about Coach Drew accept that I liked him, respected him and actually wanted him over Donovan!!!! So, once again you are placing me into a group that I have NOT been a part of!!

I am a Christian that would have LOVED having a devout man as our coach!!

The problem here is the way Mitch went about it!!

I have been a poster here for over 21 years!! So when you say something about ME, it needs to be the TRUTH!!

I want someone that will bring us back to the top that is all!!

I think folks need to pump the brakes on this type of stuff. We still are operating on very little verifiable information at this point. There aren't leaks this go round and there is very little indication that anyone has fresh info on where we stand. There are complicating factors with many/most of the top tier candidates that people have named, but it still doesn't mean we won't land the right coach.

I just don’t see the embarrassment. If it wasn’t public then all of you would cry they didn’t offer this guy or that guy. Not everyone is begging to coach here or anywhere else. Some people are happy with what they have. I respect Drew holding tight where he is. He’s a very religious guy that puts God and his family life first. Money or prestige is not a driver for everyone.

What bothered me is how this went down, I feel Mitch should've known he would accept the job before he offered it to him.

Last edited:
Good lord, you have no idea about anything going on or why Scott Drew decided to stay at Baylor. Get a grip.
It’s irrelevant why. All that is relevant here is that you don’t let the wooing of a new coach become such public knowledge unless you are confident he will say yes.

I have NEVER said one word about Coach Drew accept that I liked him, respected him and actually wanted him over Donovan!!!! So, once again you are placing me into a group that I have NOT been a part of!!

I am a Christian that would have LOVED having a devout man as our coach!!

The problem here is the way Mitch went about it!!

I have been a poster here for over 21 years!! So when you say something about ME, it needs to be the TRUTH!!

I want someone that will bring us back to the top that is all!!
Do YOU know all the CONVERSATIONS Mitch HAD behind the SCENES!!!!

Can YOU tell us WHAT was SAID between Mitch and OTHER COACHES?!!!

Then how do YOU know how MITCH WENT ABOUT THINGS!???!!!!

• Haha
So it’s OK to lie to people who haven’t been here as long?

Not quite following the logic there.

It’s irrelevant why. All that is relevant here is that you don’t let the wooing of a new coach become such public knowledge unless you are confident he will say yes.
What did Mitch do to make it public? Blame the fans for that, not Mitch. You can dislike the guy for several things, but being loud/vocal/public about what is going on with coaching searches isn’t one of them.

What bothers me about how this went down, I feel Mitch should've known he would accept the job before he offered it to him.
That’s pretty much the dumbest comment I’ve seen in years. Hell, I don’t even know what my wife thinks half the time. You can’t read peoples minds. I guess he should already know everyone elses answer before he asks too. He should just skip these people and only ask the one he knows wants it. lol. What a retard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT