ADVERTISEMENT

So how good is our incoming freshman?

Dreklie

Junior
Oct 6, 2014
Nicholasville
I have gotten to the point I don't even follow it anymore, I just wait until they show up on campus.

Anyone with some insight care to share if it's a dominant class or just a mid class?

Non of them are good outside shooters but typical Athletic Cal players who can dominate against inferior high school players. All are very slight of build and will get man handled by the brown ass men they will face in the SEC and other top competition UK plays pre-conference. Cal will go back to his typical excuse of not being very good. Rinse and repeat. Cal finally had 5 seniors and one junior playing major minutes this year but same flame 🔥 out as usual. Until we get rid of Cal and get a coach who understands modern college basketball offense nothing will change.

Step 1: Enter season highly ranked with Final 4 and National Championship aspirations
Step 2: Lose first highly ranked matchup of the season (Usually Duke, Michigan State, this season Gonzaga) and potentially get upset by a non-ranked team
Step 3: Continue to play lifeless basketball through November and early December
Step 4: Beat highly ranked opponent in December/January, team is starting to look decent
Step 5: Win some tough games against ranked SEC teams (rarely are the wins against Tennessee), lose some away SEC games to terrible teams, but overall team is looking decent to good for March
Step 6: Enter March Madness with legitimate Final 4 hopes
Step 7: Lose to a lower ranked seed in a game where the offense looks terrible
Step 8: Lose at least half the team to the NBA
Step 9: Repeat!

I have gotten to the point I don't even follow it anymore, I just wait until they show up on campus.

Anyone with some insight care to share if it's a dominant class or just a mid class?
You answered your own question. They are freshmen an not ready to play grown men. All of our decent players except Livingston will be gone.

Reactions: Kyhoward
Same shit guards for other teams will be in the layup line during game. we will have 10 losses they will play no defense, Cal will say they had fun it’s ok

Reactions: KyCatFan
On a scale of 1-10 of Cal’s recruiting classes I would give them a solid 4. Unless we get Oscar, Livingston and Reeves back and a couple key portal transfers we will be the same inconsistence team we have been the last few years. TRUTH

All are suspect shooters

Dillingham - Thinks he is Allen Iverson Jr, crazy good handle, but erratic
Wagner - Gets where he wants on floor, but not an elite athlete
Edwards-Lefty wing, legit 3 man with a handle (RJ Barrett type)
Bradshaw-7'0" with great hands and skill, needs to get stronger, but super upside (Young KAT)
Sheppard-Solid 4 year UK player

Who comes back?

Reeves and Livingston are needed, not sure about status
Ugo and Theiro get a chance

Not a legit 4 on roster

They’ll most likely be some of the best freshmen in the country. How much that’s worth remains to be seen. The initial scouting reports make it seem unlikely that anybody in this class is in the same category as guys like John Wall, Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, etc. who came in on day one and dominated the college game. We may very well struggle against experienced teams with more polished players in their system.

Most likely they will be good on offense and bad on defense, now the reality is this was by far the worst defensive team Cal has ever had. We SHOULD be much quicker at guard and much better and shot blocking. The problem as always will prob come down to a bad shooting night in March.

All are suspect shooters

Bradshaw-7'0" with great hands and skill, needs to get stronger, but super upside (Young KAT)

Who comes back?

Not a legit 4 on roster
UK hasn't had a legit power forward since PJ Washington.

Not all 5 stars are created equal. From everything I have read, next years class is a down year. So those thinking just because it’s a number 1 recruiting they will manhandle the rest of the league is going to be in for a rude awakening. I hope I’m wrong but it seems to be another team that looks good on paper but has holes in it.

it is a down class, you’re not getting Cousins and Wall, it will be another 10 loss season, another 2nd round loss at best, but keep on dreaming Calipari still has it nuthuggers

I think we have to pursue a solid power forward in the portal. I’d take a Sestina/Willis type as long as he can make an open shot, rebound and play decent defense. I do not want to see Lance Ware ever play another meaningful basketball minute at UK.

All are suspect shooters

Who comes back?

Not a legit 4 on roster
Bradshaw has a higher upside than any of the recruits

But it will be nice to have the quickest PG in country in Dillingham

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
We need a 6’8 forward that’s 240 pounds and can be an anchor next to Bradshaw and Ugonna when we need it. Also need guards who can shoot and handle. They don’t have to be stars just be willing to be backups and have some skill. We’ll see if we can hit the portal for these players.

Reactions: Fadhi
I think we have to pursue a solid power forward in the portal. I’d take a Sestina/Willis type as long as he can make an open shot, rebound and play decent defense. I do not want to see Lance Ware ever play another meaningful basketball minute at UK.
Agree except I’m fine with Lance playing a little.

Some dude on the board keeps saying that historically, none of these guys would be elite players.

We need a 6’8 forward that’s 240 pounds and can be an anchor next to Bradshaw and Ugonna when we need it. Also need guards who can shoot and handle. They don’t have to be stars just be willing to be backups and have some skill. We’ll see if we can hit the portal for these players.
How about we just put Livingston, a player already on our roster at PF next year and play modern basketball!

Reactions: Titpwhami2014

Just food for thought, the BJ Boston class had BJ and Clarke who were thought to be can't miss lottery picks, BJ was projected in some mock drafts as number one preseason. Askew was the top PG in the junior class and reclassed and of course Jackson was prob the lowest rated recruit but ended up the best. On paper that is a hell of a class. One of Dillingham or Wagner MUST be a star to even be close to getting back to Cal's glory years.

Non of them are good outside shooters but typical Athletic Cal players who can dominate against inferior high school players. All are very slight of build and will get man handled by the brown ass men they will face in the SEC and other top competition UK plays pre-conference. Cal will go back to his typical excuse of not being very good. Rinse and repeat. Cal finally had 5 seniors and one junior playing major minutes this year but same flame 🔥 out as usual. Until we get rid of Cal and get a coach who understands modern college basketball offense nothing will change.
So what exactly IS modern college basketball offense? Not being sarcastic. Serious question.

So what exactly IS modern college basketball offense? Not being sarcastic. Serious question.
As Matt Jones and others have stated many times, don't clog the paint, only shoot layups and threes (NEVER EVER PLAY LANCE WARE, especially Oscar, Ugo or Collins. The 4 should be basically be a SF and in theory the 5 should be able to shoot the three.

Reactions: John_dromo1
Wagner- tough, physical guard who can get the rim and can finish. pretty good defender when he is locked in. not a great outside shooter but he can hit them.

Dillingham- shot creator and shot maker but he is wild at times and will probably scream at your TV for better and for worse with his shot selection. Will need to get stronger because he has a leaner build. Defense is okay, nothing great but he's quick so he could play passing lanes.

Edwards- My personal favorite of the incoming class. lefty who is money from mid-range and can also shoot outside and a great defender. Long and athletic build who will shine next to the other freshman. If Livingston returns, opponents are going to have their hands full with both of them.

Bradshaw- Will bring back the elite rim protection that UK hasn't had in a long time. Can shoot outside the paint but not an exceptional shooter. Familiarity with playing with DJ will help ease the freshman growing pains for him. overall a solid player.

Sheppard- elite shooter with a high IQ and is a great passer. Will be the best 3 point shooter on next years squad unless Reeves comes back. Can create his own shot and will provide minutes off the bench. Can handle the ball well too.

Overall is a good class coming in, but I agree some of these players wouldn't be top 10 in the early 2010's classes but that's just how these high schoolers are nowadays. Kentucky got the best of the class and hopefully can round out the rest with returnees and in the transfer portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT