ADVERTISEMENT

So does Barion Brown stay with UK?

maysvilleky

All-American
Aug 13, 2003
BB was excellent other than the fumble. I’m wondering if his NIL asking price went up after this game and if UK can’t meet that price if he will enter the portal looking for a bidding war?

What sort of NIL work has BB already been doing? I don’t know that I’ve seen him in any ads, commercials, or promotional events anywhere.

As to your question, I have no idea if he stays or goes. Seems like he gets plenty of opportunities as a feature in the offense here. Will he necessarily be the same sort of feature somewhere else?

I wouldn’t label him a top SEC WR by any means but today certainly showed his all around game. Route running is sloppy much of the time, drops too many passes and is fumble prone but hoping he builds off the last couple of games and blows up in 2024. A lot will depend on an unproven QB.

Not sure. Stoops seemed odd to me when discussing Brown during the post game presser. But, maybe I am just reading too much into it. He seemed a bit distracted only most subjects in the presser.

Brown has been dynamic the past two games. A game changer. When he gets the ball it’s electric. If he stays, his name will be remembered for years. Wan’Dale, Bowden, CRod, Snell. Brown is a player people turn in to see and he seems to be becoming more confident. Next year could be huge.

Huge talent , small appreciation in his mindset for all the God given talent . Loses focus , Fumbles a bunch , runs poor routes , but still has dynamic ability . Will his mental game catch up with the physical ? If so hes all SEC and a producer on Sundays , if he doesnt he just slips away .

What sort of NIL work has BB already been doing? I don’t know that I’ve seen him in any ads, commercials, or promotional events anywhere.

Most of these guys work, especially if what they do is geared towards the younger generation, is done via social media. A quick glance looks like he works with a clothing line.

I know he’s done other things through the collective. Here are a couple of them:

They all are very talented and need to be COACHED
Exactly. JMO, but as a group I thought they all played well yesterday, apart from Brown’s fumble and Robinson not catching a catchable ball. I look forward to seeing how the new WR coach will work to improve their overall game; not just them but the rest of the WR group as well.

I appreciated the effort in yesterday’s game. Hate that BB lost the fumble, but he came back and kept us in the game.
Hate that we can score so fast because the defense takes the brunt in the latter stages of our games.
Thoroughly enjoyed being at the game yesterday, my first bowl since the Joker disaster. Great atmosphere and Clemson fans were great as I sat on their sideline.

ATL radio brought this up this am like they thought BB would want to test the portal. I didn’t know there was a May portal as well so you can never be comfortable with the players you have in your program.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Congratulations…. It’s day 364 of 2023, and you’ve just made it under the wire as a finalist for the worst take of the year.
OK. Debate me on it, then.

What did they do besides a handful of TDs and big kick off returns. The negative of poor routes, uninspired blocking and dropped balls galore more than negated the positives.

Any average bunch of receivers could have netted out the same.

Mediocre wr. Needs a ton of technical work.

Elite kick returner though. Probably the best in the nation. When he returns kicks, it's literally like he's a different player.

OK. Debate me on it, then.

What did they do besides a handful of TDs and big kick off returns. The negative of poor routes, uninspired blocking and dropped balls galore more than negated the positives.

Any average bunch of receivers could have netted out the same.
Ok…. I’m pretty sure Robinson is out of eligibility, so he’s not coming back anyway. (I will stand corrected if I’m wrong on this.) He was our most consistent WR all season.

I will grant you that Brown and Key played poorly for significant stretches of the season, but I consider this a coaching issue, not an inherent talent issue. I’m hopeful the new WR coach will really improve their play in 2024.

Reactions: UKat1
Ok…. I’m pretty sure Robinson is out of eligibility, so he’s not coming back anyway. (I will stand corrected if I’m wrong on this.) He was our most consistent WR all season.

I will grant you that Brown and Key played poorly for significant stretches of the season, but I consider this a coaching issue, not an inherent talent issue. I’m hopeful the new WR coach will really improve their play in 2024.
Robinson might be out of eligibility. I knew that when I posted.

Interesting that it's the dumbest post of the year yet you agree they played poorly for significant portions of the season.

I'll agree that some is attributable to coaching, but when you watch the games and see them going 80% speed, dropping lots of catchable balls, giving no effort to their blocking, not bothering to jump to catch a ball that's a little high, that to me is an effort issue. Maybe the coach should have benched them.

Robinson might be out of eligibility. I knew that when I posted.

Interesting that it's the dumbest post of the year yet you agree they played poorly for significant portions of the season.

I'll agree that some is attributable to coaching, but when you watch the games and see them going 80% speed, dropping lots of catchable balls, giving no effort to their blocking, not bothering to jump to catch a ball that's a little high, that to me is an effort issue. Maybe the coach should have benched them.
Ok so maybe my first reply to you was a bit snarky. I’ll offer my apologies, and we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Don’t know if you noticed, but on that long completion to Dingle prior to our final TD, he got an extra 20-25 yards thanks to some outstanding downfield blocking by Brown, That said, Brown still a lot of room for improvement. I’m hopeful the new WR coach will help him and the other WRs get better.

Reactions: know1
Brown needs to be coached in how to have some class. If he were as good of a WR as he is jacking his jaw, he would be all SEC. He is immature and nedds some life coaching. He is an embarrassment to BBN.
That’s rather harsh although I will say there is some truth there.

Brown and Key need to improve for sure....and mature as far as behavior to boot. But you guys stating we don't need them are silly.

They both combined for over 200 yards of offense plus the speical teams return over 100 yards and 4 of the 5 TDs we scored in the game. If you want to go back to the Allen Dailey, Clevan Thomas days of dudes who had no shot to make a play....but did execute their assignments properly...you're welcome to. But we're better with talented kids and not forcing plays to them when they are not open (which we did a ton).

Brown and Key both were way too concerned with what elaborate celebration they were going to do after catching a 7 yard pass for a first down all year. Personally think this over the top showboat mentality lead to both of them being in the top 10 of drops in CFB. It’s a lack of focus and a sign of an entitled WR room. Celebrate all you want after touchdowns.

Brown looked more like freshman Brown in the last 2 games. I’ll give him that. But he wasn’t the explosive “can’t lose this guy” dude for 8-10 of the games

100 yards on 3 catches is mediocre? Give me MORE mediocre!!!

Production doesn't equal skill. Most of those yards came on a broken coverage wide open TD where he almost fell somehow.

He doesn't catch the ball with his hands at all. Thats why he drops so many balls. He has zero ball tracking or high pointing ability. He doesn't fight for balls. Plus his releases are awful, evidenced again yesterday when he casually let the defender ride him out and he stopped. Also he needs to really improve his extremely poor ball security. Any tap on the ball and he loses it.

Part of the problem is he's inexplicably used by coen in a way that highlights all these deficiencies. After the nice catch and run on the over route (where he excelled last year) I hoped we were finally getting back to correctly using his abilities. Then we proceeded to target him deep a few times and our offense went off tracks like it did every season.

Reactions: catben
Production doesn't equal skill. Most of those yards came on a broken coverage wide open TD where he almost fell somehow.

He doesn't catch the ball with his hands at all. Thats why he drops so many balls. He has zero ball tracking or high pointing ability. He doesn't fight for balls. Plus his releases are awful, evidenced again yesterday when he casually let the defender ride him out and he stopped. Also he needs to really improve his extremely poor ball security. Any tap on the ball and he loses it.

Part of the problem is he's inexplicably used by coen in a way that highlights all these deficiencies. After the nice catch and run on the over route (where he excelled last year) I hoped we were finally getting back to correctly using his abilities. Then we proceeded to target him deep a few times and our offense went off tracks like it did every season.
He is not a great technical receiver or route runner as a soph, but even as a WR, he is not mediocre. Those gifts have let him be less than technically and still be a real threat.

Let’s hope he comes back and fixes his weaknesses, because that could make him one of the best in the country.

Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT