ADVERTISEMENT

So, Antonio Reeves anyone?

It's really strange.

How do our "insiders" and "beat writers/reporters" not have so much as an update in 2 weeks?

It's wild to me actually.

For a program that Matt Jones "claims" is in disarray, they sure do have a tight lid on information. Those 2 things don't usually go hand-in-hand.
I could see them have a tight lid not wanting the disarray to get out even more than it has.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and STL_Cat
I’m just assuming he won’t be on the team next year, and is doing what he can to be a grad transfer. If he comes back ill be pleasantly surprised.

We should have some type of answer with the Canada trip soon, I guess.
Well he still has a locker, so if he don’t come back that shows that Cal has no control over anything in the program IMO. He lets the players do whatever they want, doesn’t actively try to fill their spot, and goes into the season with no replacements if they leave.

The only thing I have seen is the Michigan guy saying he thinks reeves graduates in 2 weeks and announces he is going to enter the portal
I tend to believe that as our own insiders have said he told the staff he was back with an announcement coming on Tuesday, then ghosted them since. Now he’s taking classes. It all adds up to him being gone.

I don't want him. Why would anyone want a guy on this young team that obviously doesn't want to be here? That's a huge risk to a likely fragile team chemistry. IMO, Reeves return would be more of a risk than his absence.
I think we had some major locker room issues last year and even the year before, I have no idea if Reeves had anything to do with it but the full house cleaning may end up a blessing.

Matt Jones never knows anything. We don't need Reeves. Reeves needs UK. But he obviously doesn't want to be a practice player. UK has moved on from Reeves but left the door open if he wants to remain on the team. It's completely up to Reeves. We are no better or worse no matter what he decides. He's a non factor.

I mean - did he ever say he was in the portal?
Seems to me that a writer or two may have posted some “news” and we just all ran with it and assumed he was transferring?

Maybe I missed his/his camp’s official statement?

I mean - did he ever say he was in the portal?
Seems to me that a writer or two may have posted some “news” and we just all ran with it and assumed he was transferring?

Maybe I missed his/his camp’s official statement?
He must graduate before entering the portal, I would think.

Well he still has a locker, so if he don’t come back that shows that Cal has no control over anything in the program IMO. He lets the players do whatever they want, doesn’t actively try to fill their spot, and goes into the season with no replacements if they leave.
In other words, disarray.

If he is trying this hard to leave and ends up coming back only because he can’t go anywhere else, I gotta think it’s gonna cause chemistry issues. Having a guy around the team that’s miserable to be there isn’t healthy for the rest of them. He has shown his hand, he’s out first chance he gets, so cut him loose. I have never seen it drawn out this long when a guy is happy to play for the name on the front of the jersey.
who cares..........send him packing, if he doesn't graduate, that is his problem
he a grown business man now, he must suffer the consequences of his decisions just like any one else

There’s no way that he would decide anything before August. If something happens and he does not graduate, UK is his only D-1 option since he’s been in the portal previously. If he graduates, he can choose UK or anyone else. There’s just no reason for him to burn a bridge with UK right now and say he isn’t coming

Reactions: Dead Cat Bounce
who cares..........send him packing, if he doesn't graduate, that is his problem
he a grown business man now, he must suffer the consequences of his decisions just like any one else

Exactly. Any other profession you either accept the counter offer or take the new job elsewhere.

Of course Reeves went fishing for a new employer before knowing if he can pass the CPA exam for a CPA required accounting job...to put a comparison to my field. Very dumb on his part but fortunately calipari is dumber.

Fans don't want Reeves gone.
Reeves wants Reeves gone.
In no way is he being "run off"
Exploring his draft stock should have ended the minute he didn't get invited to the combine.
At that point he should have returned to UK and assumed the leadership role on next year's team.
If having the #1 recruiting class coming in turned him off it just proves he is selfish and has no confidence in his own game.
His play on the court would have determined his minutes even if Cal wanted him to start the season as 6th man.
Better players than him have been the 6th man at UK.

Guess you don’t read the board much 😂😂😂 heck even in this thread there are several that say 1-15 good riddance.

Reeves absolutely should come back I agree with you on that one. I understand that if he knows he sat on the bench because of wheeler there is no way he is going to start over 5 star freshman in Cal’s system.

He would get plenty of time as the 6th man,
I think his only shot at the nba is to become a point guard and that’s not in play at Kentucky. Realistically unless he improves ball handling a ton over the summer That’s not in play anywhere though.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
If he hasn't fully committed to returning, I'd tell him he has until Friday to publicly announce his intentions and if he's not willing to do so his locker will be emptied, his nameplate removed, and he can consider himself off the team.

This is Kentucky basketball FFS.

Without knowing what has been said between the staff and the Reeves camp, I can't hate on the kid for doing what's best for him.

I really hope he comes back. You have to have elite shooters in todays game, the teams that get to final 4's and win titles, use the 3 point shot as a serious weapon.

Yeah, AR went 1-15 against KSU, but he was only doing what he was told to do, when a shooter is that cold, you don’t keep encouraging him to shoot. Cal should have kept posting Wallace and Oscar and he probably shouldn't have tried trapping the fastest guard in the country with2 bigs at half court… . TWICE.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
It just feels like there is a huge disconnect between Cal, the staff and the players. There just seems to be so much confusion, discontent and players pouting.

We all get it, Cal sticks with certain players far too long sometimes and he did so with Wheeler last season. But I understand why. He really didn't want to move Wallace to point, that’s a bold move and one he can’t revert from very easily. But in these situations, he needs to talk to these players early and often so everyone is on the same page.

I feel like he dropped the ball with AR, Oscar, CL and possibly Lance Ware. This has been a thing the last few years. Player retention needs to become a bigger deal than it is.

It's really strange.

How do our "insiders" and "beat writers/reporters" not have so much as an update in 2 weeks?

It's wild to me actually.

For a program that Matt Jones "claims" is in disarray, they sure do have a tight lid on information. Those 2 things don't usually go hand-in-hand.
I would argue it isn’t the program that’s keeping a lid on this information, it is Reeves so much so that Cal and staff don’t even know. That’s the way it seems anyway.

Without knowing what has been said between the staff and the Reeves camp, I can't hate on the kid for doing what's best for him.

I really hope he comes back. You have to have elite shooters in todays game, the teams that get to final 4's and win titles, use the 3 point shot as a serious weapon.

Yeah, AR went 1-15 against KSU, but he was only doing what he was told to do, when a shooter is that cold, you don’t keep encouraging him to shoot. Cal should have kept posting Wallace and Oscar and he probably shouldn't have tried trapping the fastest guard in the country with2 bigs at half court… . TWICE.

Hey Jeff, hope you've been well.

Surprised to read you don't think he should have kept shooting. Polar opposite IMHO. A lot of his misses were just off. I think when you are a 40%+ shooter at the volume he makes them you have to shoot through a slump. I mean when do you cut it off? He was 1/10 from three. I don't have the half splits but have to assume they were roughly 50/50.

My issue with that game was Livingston. If you look at the +/- he was the killer. -12 and took 14 shots. He was awful. We also had 10 turnovers between Cason and Oscar.

JMHO

He does not wnt to be in lexington. and to be honest his 1-15 performance says pressure is not his friend. Give me a no fear freshman.

Hey Jeff, hope you've been well.

Surprised to read you don't think he should have kept shooting. Polar opposite IMHO. A lot of his misses were just off. I think when you are a 40%+ shooter at the volume he makes them you have to shoot through a slump. I mean when do you cut it off? He was 1/10 from three. I don't have the half splits but have to assume they were roughly 50/50.

My issue with that game was Livingston. If you look at the +/- he was the killer. -12 and took 14 shots. He was awful. We also had 10 turnovers between Cason and Oscar.

JMHO
Yeah, I just think given the single elimination situation we were in, you can't settle for outside shots when a guy isn't hitting. Feed the hot hands, which, at the time, was Oscar and Wallace.
1-15 is careless, you can't just hope he catches fire in that situation, you have to go to the guys that are getting it done, maybe it'll be AR in the next game, but you have to win to get there.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
He obviously does not want to be a Wildcat next year. So as much as we need someone like him (I think he is a good scorer and shooter), I'm not sure I'm interested. I mean how much can his heart be in it. It's one thing to put your name in the portal and decide to return (maybe you realize you'll miss Lexington or your teammates or you see the grass isn't greener on the other side), but it's entirely different to return simply because you have no other choice (if you want to play basketball).
Now if he graduates, and becomes eligible to transfer, and still decides to return to UK, then I would take him back. But still be a bit pissed that he strung this out so long.

So to me, the only thing that puts him slightly above Wheeler is that Wheeler quit mid-season.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
But Dillingham can drive, and plays awesome D. Reeves, not so much.
Dillingham is 6’0 150 pounds, and is a wildcard. He is gonna be good sometimes and he is going to be terrible soemtimes and people on here will hate on him when he is and and wish reeves was back. Dillingham does not play awesome defense, nobody in that OTE league does. I don’t get why a group on here don’t want a 14 ppg, 40 percent 3 point shooter back who has scored over 1000 points in college because he shot bad in one game

Reactions: kyjeff1 and MWes11
I tend to believe that as our own insiders have said he told the staff he was back with an announcement coming on Tuesday, then ghosted them since. Now he’s taking classes. It all adds up to him being gone.
It was out that he was at ISU before then thought, I look at the ISU think like him keeping all his options open to get the most money. Kentucky leaving his locker open and ordering his jerseys atlewst shows that they feel decent about his coming back

Dillingham is 6’0 150 pounds, and is a wildcard. He is gonna be good sometimes and he is going to be terrible soemtimes and people on here will hate on him when he is and and wish reeves was back. Dillingham does not play awesome defense, nobody in that OTE league does. I don’t get why a group on here don’t want a 14 ppg, 40 percent 3 point shooter back who has scored over 1000 points in college because he shot bad in one game
He’s not 6’0 and he’s not 150 pounds….just stop

Reactions: CatPatrick13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT