ADVERTISEMENT

SMITH gets healthy

I’m not a football guru, never played, never coached, but seems to me LB is the ultimate football player. Talent in so many ways, and willing to do whatever he is asked for the sake of the team. A coaches dream type player. They are rare these days.

I think it's all Bowden against Georgia, which gives Smith another week of rest.

Then we bust out a healthy Smith, while still having some sets for Bowden at QB, and try to win every game left on the schedule after Georgia.

Unless Smith is more injured than we know...

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
I think it's all Bowden against Georgia, which gives Smith another week of rest.

Then we bust out a healthy Smith, while still having some sets for Bowden at QB, and try to win every game left on the schedule after Georgia.

Unless Smith is more injured than we know...

Ahh, and this “healthy” Smith is suddenly not going to be an erratic turnover machine that puts us in predictable run/pass situations? Did his injury cause him to go 11 of 32 for 90 yards against South Carolina? That seems more like a decision making issue to me, maybe I’m nuts. Injured or not, I’ve never heard of or seen a stat line that bad.

Ahh, and this “healthy” Smith is suddenly not going to be an erratic turnover machine that puts us in predictable run/pass situations? Did his injury cause him to go 11 of 32 for 90 yards against South Carolina? That seems more like a decision making issue to me, maybe I’m nuts. Injured or not, I’ve never heard of or seen a stat line that bad.

He injured his wrist in the 3rd quarter of the Florida game and had played very well up to that point. He had made a couple of really bad decisions as well, but was also a big reason we were ahead. So I definitely think the injury had a lot to do with his 11-32 day. He and our team have been awful since that particular injury, yet dominated a top 10 team prior to it.

In the "Old Days" that was true. However, in the last few years, that has not been true. If a QB isn't doing the job, a lot of coaches, they will bring in another QB.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

In the “new days” can you point to a few instances off the top of your head where that’s worked? I watch quite a bit of football but I have to think pretty hard just to think of one situation this year where that has worked well. Maybe you can point to a bunch of situations where that works quite a bit.

He was physically unable to perform and should not have played. He is still wearing a wrist brace since his Florida injury,,.he was also in a sling after the MSU game from a 2nd quarter injury...he also injured his leg on a horse collar tackle vs SC.

Before wrist injury he was a 70% passer with 1 int. After he has been a 39% passer with 4 INTs...I’d say wrist and shoulder injury to throwing arm may hurt a QBs performance, jmo though.

I do think when he is healthy, he will still have questionable decision making, but sometimes can overcome with arm strength or placement...when hurt, you can’t do that. He doesn’t need to be near the field until 100.

Reactions: UKUGA and WildcatDJ
I like having a healthy Smith as an option.

I saw him play well with my very eyes.

I don’t trust that he can hold up physically. But I’m not upset at the idea that he gets some snaps, especially if we need to change things up (I.e. our offense is sputtering).

But again, get him healthy.

I still think we blew it by having him take the majority of snaps in a winnable game at SC.

Reactions: WildcatDJ
You play the QB that your team would run through a wall for. That's Bowden.
I get what you are saying and I'm not trying to be an ass, but it's the coaching staff that the players should be willing to run through a wall for. If that's not the case, then we have a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT