ADVERTISEMENT

SMITH gets healthy

Jan 5, 2017
You just go ahead and play a 2 QB system rest of way out. Have a 20-25 play package for Lynn force teams to prepare to different styles of offense. Spreading it out creating running lanes, with short passes, tosses, and pitchs was a nice spread running attack that would be hard to deal with ontop of preparing for a healthy Smith and passing attack. Could steal back a couple wins being more creative now you see what you have with Lynn @ QB.

2 QB system rarely works. If Smith is healthy he's the QB. But you can get Bowden a few snaps just to get the ball in your best players hands more.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Each week you add a couple more pass plays to Lynn's offensive game. Love to see them put in a slant pass to one of the big tight ends or Wagner out of the slot.
I agree with this. I think we have offensive players who haven’t been fully utilized. Add n plays for Bowden to them, and we might have sumthin. At least enuff to keep defenses honest anyway.

Smith was a backup at TROY for gawds sake. Not TAMU. Not at Florida. At TROY. What the heck are some of you smoking.

You keep saying this like he was lucky to even be allowed to dress for games. He played in every game last season, started 7 (5-2); and threw more completions, yards, and TD's than the starter ... And QB'd them to a bowl win.

I'm not saying I'm sold on him. It's not his arm I'm worried about, if he's healthy, it's his head; but I think that's fixable. I loved what Bowden did tonight, but I want to see him do it against a decent defense.

Smith was a backup at TROY for gawds sake. Not TAMU. Not at Florida. At TROY. What the heck are some of you smoking.

And Bowden was last a QB in high school for God's sake. Just saying.Don't let beating Arky cloud your judgement. Loved what Bowden did but now that there is game film of him playing QB the next team will be more prepared to take him away. Remember a healthy Smith had us leading UF until he hurt his wrist and he hasn't been the same since.

The second most important thing about a win on October 12th is that there are 7 more days until the next game.

No one outside of the football offices really knows the state of Smith’s health. And they will keep it that way.

But in 7 more days Smith’s health will likely be better. And then, in 14 days, better, still.

Bowden showed well, tonight, but to be our best, we need him receiving some throws, too!

I was really surprised how well he read the pass coverage and even looked off safeties using Wagner as bait.

Didn't make a bad decision all night
Also, his ball handling in the RPO was terrific...maybe a couple reads he'd like to have back, overall he was outstanding. Pretty amazing given the lack of reps at that position.

Nothing against Smith. He's the #2, and he should stay #2 right now. No need to take the ball out of your TOP OFFENSIVE PLAYER, lol............If you are going to change anything, you change the play calling to include a bit more pass, a little less UP THE MIDDLE, and some more dynamic plays to keep the defense OFF-BalAnCe......the more "OFF" the D is, the better this O will do. If they (opposing D) have to respect the pass...........we'll RUN WILD on them. Our running backs can run!!

Bowden at QB was first time we see how much of a game changer he is.We have been mis using him all along.He should have been touching the ball way more than he had been.I say roll with him a qb if not he still needs 20 or more touvhes a game.

You just go ahead and play a 2 QB system rest of way out. Have a 20-25 play package for Lynn force teams to prepare to different styles of offense. Spreading it out creating running lanes, with short passes, tosses, and pitchs was a nice spread running attack that would be hard to deal with ontop of preparing for a healthy Smith and passing attack. Could steal back a couple wins being more creative now you see what you have with Lynn @ QB.

At this point this makes the most sense ... We're not in a great position with our injured 2nd string QB and #1 wide receiver playing QB (stating the obvious), and any more SEC wins will be hard to come by (yes, even Vandy will play us tough).

Go CATS!

p.s. it's quite incredible to think with Clarke & Hoak's transfer, Walker Woods' surgeries, Scalazo's two surgeries, TW and SS out, that we were playing a 7th string QB that really is a wide receiver...!

Last edited:
No.

If Smith was healthy, we would have seen him on the field for some first-half snaps last night to take advantage of Arky's awful secondary. He isn't healthy.

Stoops just won his first game in a month. Next week, we play a ranked team on their own field. Our coaches will keep working this week in practice and then try to spread out GA and have some more success next week with Bowden. It would take a perfect storm to win that game. GA lost yesterday, but the Bulldogs beat the socks off SC in just about every statistical metric. I think we have to be clear about that before we get carried away with predictions.

1. All those clamoring Lynn for sure over Sawyer....how about we wait how the offense rolls vs. a good UGA team as opposed to a hapless Arkansas team that got man handled by San Jose St a few weeks back (and not won a SEC game in 3 seasons now). 3rd and 7 run plays won't win vs. good teams IMO.
2. A few good vibes though that I think can get us to a 6-7 win season:
- I like some Lynn packages at times during games with Sawyer getting 75% of series.
- I love seeing the speed options being utilized vs. always running our option plays inside the tackle box. Seeing Rose get some runs to get to corner for even 3 yard gains was great to see...I think it helps open up teams to inside option runs.
- I still stand that Wagner is our 2nd best offensive threat...you go Lynn Bowden he's basically out of the playbook. Wagner alone is a reason to get Sawyer healthy and let's have a passing threat. He's way to good to just throw him 1-2 balls a game.

The biggest think I like is we're a physical running team and we need to stay back to hammering teams on the ground. That is our identity and I hope we find it. Also, no turnovers or even close turnovers (which is the main thing Sawyer has to figure out). If we can run the ball, limit TOs....I think we're good enough to win 3-4 more games this year.

I asked a 4-yo what he thought about just putting LB in the wildcat several times during the game. I said what do you think he will do when that happens. The 4-yo said...."duh, any idiot knows he is going to pull it and run the ball."

That is the main fallacy with that idea. LB taking all the snaps clearly made ALL our backs have a better day. You cannot spy on the back when you have LB who can pull it and run too. Plus he is an effective passer.

Keep LB's hands on the ball and it will make the running game overall much better and he can pass well enough to keep the defense honest.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I think ideally Smith gets healthy and cuts down on TOs. You run a lot more Wildcat/QB packages with LB as well in key situations if called for. We definitely need to get LB more touches on offense regardless.

I think now we truly have a change of pace offense for Bowden at Wildcat.

The reason Cobb became so dominant out of the Wildcat was we actually made him take reps and start games at QB as a freshman. He had the confidence of the coaches and his team to make those plays...we didn't need him to do it for 4 quarters...but it was scary once he got under center.

Same with Lynn now. I don't think they really took the Wildcat for him seriously this week, but now he actually has plays he can run and change the pace. Maybe a full game behind center give him an actual read on where he needs to run.

I asked a 4-yo what he thought about just putting LB in the wildcat several times during the game. I said what do you think he will do when that happens. The 4-yo said...."duh, any idiot knows he is going to pull it and run the ball."

That is the main fallacy with that idea. LB taking all the snaps clearly made ALL our backs have a better day. You cannot spy on the back when you have LB who can pull it and run too. Plus he is an effective passer.

Keep LB's hands on the ball and it will make the running game overall much better and he can pass well enough to keep the defense honest.
He can be effective. People forget Pat White type qb's . LB is not as good, but he has skills to make some similar plays. Coaches just need to give him the package.

He can be effective. People forget Pat White type qb's . LB is not as good, but he has skills to make some similar plays. Coaches just need to give him the package.
Pat White was awesome, no doubt. But he was playing mostly against Big East defenses that did not have the speed to contain him. That won't be the case playing SEC defenses outside of maybe Vandy.

Against bad teams, LB may be the safest bet...but I don't think we win against talented teams without a true passing threat and that comes with a healthy Smith. If Smith cannot or will not get healthy, then no use throwing him out there. LB is more of a passing threat than injured Smith.

You just said what I have been thinking and hoping for.. I hope the coaches do this

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
Against bad teams, LB may be the safest bet...but I don't think we win against talented teams without a true passing threat and that comes with a healthy Smith. If Smith cannot or will not get healthy, then no use throwing him out there. LB is more of a passing threat than injured Smith.

The good news is after UGA and Missouri we don't play any talented teams.

What d

What did the 4 year old think about the back shoulder throw to Thonas Timor the toucgdiwn

True-ish...problem is UL seems to be talented on offense, so we may need to score some points. Not sure what UT is anymore. Vandy is BAD.

Vandy is atrocious. I'm shocked that Mason still has a job today but again, it is Vandy.

Vandy is atrocious. I'm shocked that Mason still has a job today but again, it is Vandy.

I have pulled for Mason as he seems like a really good guy. I also tend to pull for Vandy against everybody but us.. just because they are perennial doormats ..

Bowden will be your starter from here on out until he lays a huge egg. Who was it told you guys first of last week to bet your house Bowden was the starter? Thank you. Trust in what I tell you. If its not gospel I wont post it.

ADVERTISEMENT