ADVERTISEMENT

Slugger's Cats v Tigers (SEC Tournament Edition)

Potential for 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 tomorrow….In the LOSERS bracket!

Depends on what A&M does in this last game.

• Love
Reactions: vhcat70
Damn our staff outside of Poozer is leaking oil
There was no doubt Arkansas was going to score that inning

Luckily, the bats showed up today. Dugout much more lively today, too. Just need the pitching staff to hang on.

Glad to see the NOmaHogs decided to take the Cal approach to the SEC Tournament! I am sure their fans are all touting the benefits of having the weekend off.

Great win by the BatCats!

LSU/SC thoughts:
- Score isn't high enough at 10-9. Need to use more pitchers. 17-16 in 12 innings would be OK.
- We're 1-3 against them combined.
- Strange that they still keep projecting UK as the #1 national seed.

I'd rather play USC, we owe them one. Good win today by the cats. The SEC tourney is a mixed bag when it comes to motivation, but glad the cats didn't go 0-2. Also, This should ensure that UK is above A&M and Arkansas in the national seeding pecking order.

Reactions: Jeff12wb
Definitely happy to draw USC. A loss isn't a killer, but I think we owe these guys after the debacle(s) In Columbia this year. Not sure if we start Mason or Niman today?

Reactions: K86
We are starting to show a lot of flaws. We are being carried by about 3/4 bats also.

Cats are gonna need a very favorable draw and maybe get some momentum back in the regional.

We are starting to show a lot of flaws. We are being carried by about 3/4 bats also.

Cats are gonna need a very favorable draw and maybe get some momentum back in the regional.
This team got to where it's at by being solid 1-9 with everyone chipping in. Right now a couple guys are really struggling.

Reactions: backinky2018
We are not playing well at all today. Mason stunk, seemed to get behind every batter.

Terrible situational hitting, as we have left a lot of men on base, despite USC Jr. doing everything they can to help us score. And McCoy, Devon Burkes, and Grant Smith continue to be automatic outs at the plate.

Giving up the go ahead run by walking 3 batters and hitting TWO others is the very reason I have little hope of this team reaching Omaha. The overall pitching is struggling so bad right at the most critical time of the year.

This team has accomplished so much, but has a GLARING weakness with their pitching right now. and it all boils down to NOT being able to throw strikes.

SAD

The staff is definitely trending in the wrong direction. Hard to feel very confident.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
Giving up the go ahead run by walking 3 batters and hitting another is the very reason I have little hope of this team reaching Omaha. The overall pitching is struggling so bad right at the most critical time of the year.

This team has accomplished so much, but has a GLARING weakness with their pitching right now. and it all boils down to NOT being able to throw strikes.

SAD
This combined with most of the lineup getting exposed late in the season.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
We are not playing well at all today. Mason stunk, seemed to get behind every batter.

Terrible situational hitting, as we have left a lot of men on base, despite USC Jr. doing everything they can to help us score. And McCoy, Devon Burkes, and Grant Smith continue to be automatic outs at the plate.
Why he continues to bat Burkes third is beyond me

Reactions: Jeff12wb
Right now, have three automatic outs: McCoy, Smith, and Burkes. IT's doubly painful b/c it means that no one is on base when Waldy comes up b/c Grant and McCoy constantly strike out or hit into DP.

The pitching staff is in meltdown mode.

Losing this game is not the end of the world, but the way in which it's happening is not giving us warm and fuzzies.

They give up too many runs. Started watching a month ago and am not impressed at all. Paper Tiger.
And the worst part about those runs is most of the time they are due to walks, hit batsmen or groove pitch HR's. Our pitching staff gives up too many easy runs.

I really question the focus of this team. I have been pretty vocal that I’m not a fan of the softball level chanting. But I will say that I have never seen a team eating in the dugout like these guys. Several times the camera panned and they were eating entire sandwiches ???? I mean I understand energy bars / fruit etc… but the guys were eating the pre-game spread in the dugout during the game ???? WTH

The cream appears to be rising to the top and I don’t think a CNM led team is trending in the right direction. I will get off my rant , one positive we sure do not need or deserve the #1 overall seed. It’s the kiss of death and we sure don’t need that target.

If we don’t turn this around somebody not expecting to host a super is gonna host ours when we lose in the regional.

I have said many times that I support all UK sports. I’ll pull for them till the end but they’re trending the wrong way and it’s hard to feel good about them when they stink it up and there’s been a lot of that here of late. Oh well …. not much else to say. I sure hope they step it up.

We have to play Smith and Burkes for defensive purposes but there is no reason McCoy should be playing everyday.
I completely agree with this. Herrera is a tougher out at the plate and is good enough on defense to merit the change.

I disagree with the sky is falling people here. The SEC tournament is not meaningful for a team like UK that is locked into a top 4 national seed. History shows that teams have done well or done poorly in hoover and there is no correlation with NCAA tourney performance.

With that said, our momentum is not super positive. It's a terrible time for 1/3 of our lineup to be absolutely auto outs at the plate and it's a terrible time for our pitching staff to crater.

Reactions: CHAMPCAT11
We have to play Smith and Burkes for defensive purposes but there is no reason McCoy should be playing everyday.
Smith I certainly agree with.
Burkes, defensively, is probably the worst in the SEC. He can throw runners out, but he is an abomination when it comes to blocking or fielding popups. Average at framing/receiving. He is in every day simply because he is a Leader and has been since last year.
McCoy should never see the field. Ironically, he has been a much better RELIEF PITCHER than anything.

Reactions: K86 and Basil Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT