ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP Keion Brooks says he outgrew Kentucky?

I kind of agree with him. What he really is expressing, and I don’t expect him to be vulnerable enough to say it publicly (I wouldn’t be either), is that his time at Kentucky kind of reached a natural conclusion. The cracks started to show late in the season and nagging injuries certainly didn’t help, but I constantly voiced my frustration (at my television) that Keion seems like the only player that hadn’t bought into the team. Just seemed to be about himself all year. A lot of good things happened when they played through him, the Kansas game being the obvious standout. When they didn’t run through him, he would get the ball and take bad shots anyway.

I can see Keion having a bit of a sour taste though. Stuff just didn’t go great here in his 3 years. Covid played a big factor, but I don’t think he ever expected he’d play 3 years here and not win a tournament game. I don’t blame him at all for transferring and I really haven’t seen many fans sour about it. It just kind of looks like the rare amicable divorce.
This is a very good post I agree whole heartedly! It's not like he is going to come out and say that he wasn't good enough and was going to get passed up in the rotation. I think it was a rather classy way to put it and not down himself in the process.

Reactions: BigKari
I saw an article from one of this site's competition about an interview with Keion Brooks. He was asked about why he decided to transfer and this is what he said...

"Sometimes you grow out of your environment,” Brooks said at Pac-12 Media Day. “Kentucky was great to me. I have a lot lifelong friends there, loved Coach (John Calipari) and the staff he had while I was there, but I just thought it was time for me to challenge myself and do something new.”

Ok, let me just say, I'm glad he was positive toward Kentucky and the coaching staff and players, which is nice. And Calipari was positive about the entire situation as well.

But seriously? He left because he "outgrew" Kentucky? What do you guys think about that spin?

I'll tell you why I think he left...
#1 He knew Toppin was set to have a breakout season and that starting job was likely gone.

#2 In addition to Toppin, he knew UK had Collins returning who was also likely to make a big leap in the off-season.

#3 He also knew UK was bringing a guy like Chris Livingston who is more athletic, stronger, and another candidate to take minutes from Brooks.

Ok Brooks, you outgrew UK. Sure. 😀
I think it’s just his way of making it sound like it was his decision. I’d say during the off-season, especially after Cal not playing Toppin the 2nd half of the St. Peter’s game that he was nudged gently out the door. Basically he struggled that game and had all the time he needed last year but that Toppin was getting better and proving more effective. Good luck to him and I’m happy he has good memories and things to say.

Last edited:
I think it’s just his way of making it sound like it was his decision. I’d say during the off-season, especially after Cal not playing Toppin the 2nd half of the St. Peter’s game that he was nugged gently out the door. Basically he struggled that game and had all the time he needed last year but that Toppin was getting better and proving more effective. Good luck to him and I’m happy he has good memories and things to say.
For some reason this typo struck me as funny?

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk
He should have never played another minute after he got that rebound taken from him at Arkansas like he was a little girl. The way he ran down the court after playing stupid was annoying. He had a knack for coming up with the worst-timed boneheaded plays.

I saw an article from one of this site's competition about an interview with Keion Brooks. He was asked about why he decided to transfer and this is what he said...

"Sometimes you grow out of your environment,” Brooks said at Pac-12 Media Day. “Kentucky was great to me. I have a lot lifelong friends there, loved Coach (John Calipari) and the staff he had while I was there, but I just thought it was time for me to challenge myself and do something new.”

Ok, let me just say, I'm glad he was positive toward Kentucky and the coaching staff and players, which is nice. And Calipari was positive about the entire situation as well.

But seriously? He left because he "outgrew" Kentucky? What do you guys think about that spin?

#1 He knew Toppin was set to have a breakout season and that starting job was likely gone.

#2 In addition to Toppin, he knew UK had Collins returning who was also likely to make a big leap in the off-season.

#3 He also knew UK was bringing a guy like Chris Livingston who is more athletic, stronger, and another candidate to take minutes from Brooks.

Glad he is gone. No hustle, resisted coaching, and choked under pressure.

Some of you guys may think I have something against Brooks or have something personal against him. I definitely do not. I hope he does well at Washington, unless and until they play against UK. I just found this way of saying his reason for leaving to be funny. No, I don't expect him to say he left because he knew the competition was going to be too much, but to say he outgrew UK is an odd way of saying it, and I think he may not mean what he said in the way it sounds. I do agree that it was a mutual parting of the ways and I believe it could be good for all parties.

But just to be clear... I have no ill will toward Brooks. I supported him and defended him while he was here many times.

And I will always remember his game against Kansas. It was a thing of beauty!

To me, Brooks didn’t excel at UK because he didn’t have the body to be a 4 and didn’t have the skills to be a 3. Cal tried hide both of those facts but they were usually exposed against top tier opponents.

It's sad to see that some adults on here act like jilted lovers with Keion leaving. Shake hands, say "Nice knowing you and good luck." Instead we have guys acting like brats.

Reactions: Zissou87
He should have never played another minute after he got that rebound taken from him at Arkansas like he was a little girl. The way he ran down the court after playing stupid was annoying. He had a knack for coming up with the worst-timed boneheaded plays.
That was true, it’s not that he played that bad but when he made a bad play it was really bad at the wrong times.

He should've transferred to Wright State and played like his father did. Ewww... gosh gives me cold chills!! It would've had every Wright State fan fired up and excited, like myself complete with cold chills and goose pimples until the night he goes cold and laid goose eggs!

Except for TO column. He was capable of being in the 1,000 to club. I wonder if they'd stop the game and give him that ball that he he scores his 1,000 turnover on??

I think that's why he struggled so much cause he was playing in a Arena that had Adolph Hitlers Rupp name on it. Change it to say oh let's use Pitino Areno and the kid would've went straight boom.. goes to 🧨 dynamite.

That was true, it’s not that he played that bad but when he made a bad play it was really bad at the wrong times.
But then when he made one bad play he'd hang his head and then make a ton more. A ton is 1000 isn't it? Well he wasn't bad until he made that first dumb mistake each game. Then he should've just took him out and let him go back to the dorm to study or do homework. 😂. But seriously tho I agree with ya he didn't play that bad at times but it was costly times when he did.

But then when he made one bad play he'd hang his head and then make a ton more. A ton is 1000 isn't it? Well he wasn't bad until he made that first dumb mistake each game. Then he should've just took him out and let him go back to the dorm to study or do homework. 😂. But seriously tho I agree with ya he didn't play that bad at times but it was costly times when he did.
2000 pounds in a ton, double the mistakes you thought 😂

Last edited:
Now that he left, maybe you guys that defended this clown for suggesting we change the name of Rupp Arena will realize some of the stuff he says is just dumb and out of line. I’m glad he left.

I think what Keion was simply confirming what we already knew. The top tier players that come to UK only plan to be here for 1 or 2 years on their way to the NBA. After 3 years, it became obvious even to him that was not going to be his path. He decided to continue his story somewhere else.

Keion Brooks may be one of the most inconsistent players that I can remember at Kentucky. Alex Poythress comes to mind but I don’t think he was as inconsistent as Keion. He’d look like a lottery pick 1 game and a game during that same week would look like a player that would go undrafted.

Reactions: chroix
Keion Brooks may be one of the most inconsistent players that I can remember at Kentucky. Alex Poythress comes to mind but I don’t think he was as inconsistent as Keion. He’d look like a lottery pick 1 game and a game during that same week would look like a player that would go undrafted.
I sure don’t remember many of those “lottery pick “ games . Just 1. Most games he didn’t even look like he should be starting. But I have nothing against what he said. He could have outgrown his environment for a lot of reasons other than basketball. If it was for social justice reasons, he absolutely went the right direction.

I think what Keion was simply confirming what we already knew. The top tier players that come to UK only plan to be here for 1 or 2 years on their way to the NBA. After 3 years, it became obvious even to him that was not going to be his path. He decided to continue his story somewhere else.
Or we could act like children, call him names, be bitter, and repeat some nonsense word in an attempt to impress a lady who posts on rafters.

• Haha
Reactions: Zissou87
I think it’s just his way of making it sound like it was his decision. I’d say during the off-season, especially after Cal not playing Toppin the 2nd half of the St. Peter’s game that he was nudged gently out the door. Basically he struggled that game and had all the time he needed last year but that Toppin was getting better and proving more effective. Good luck to him and I’m happy he has good memories and things to say.
Which would make Cal not playing Toppin the second half even more puzzling. I think I’ll stick with “Cal just crapped the bed again “

Some of you guys may think I have something against Brooks or have something personal against him. I definitely do not. I hope he does well at Washington, unless and until they play against UK. I just found this way of saying his reason for leaving to be funny. No, I don't expect him to say he left because he knew the competition was going to be too much, but to say he outgrew UK is an odd way of saying it, and I think he may not mean what he said in the way it sounds. I do agree that it was a mutual parting of the ways and I believe it could be good for all parties.

But just to be clear... I have no ill will toward Brooks. I supported him and defended him while he was here many times.

And I will always remember his game against Kansas. It was a thing of beauty!

I have a lot against brooks and until he apologizes about attacking our history and slandering the Rupp family I wish him zero good will.

My least favorite player in UK history.

I sure don’t remember many of those “lottery pick “ games . Just 1. Most games he didn’t even look like he should be starting. But I have nothing against what he said. He could have outgrown his environment for a lot of reasons other than basketball. If it was for social justice reasons, he absolutely went the right direction.
I think you’re right. I overly compared his games. The Kansas game he looked like a lottery but some games he looked serviceable but some games he looked like he shouldn’t see the floor.

I mean it’s a fine answer, we all know it’s a bland non-answer, but who cares? What’s he supposed to say “I didn’t develop as much as I wanted to, and now I probably won’t play as much, there’s no real point doing that in my senior season?”

I wish good luck to him

I kind of agree with him. What he really is expressing, and I don’t expect him to be vulnerable enough to say it publicly (I wouldn’t be either), is that his time at Kentucky kind of reached a natural conclusion. The cracks started to show late in the season and nagging injuries certainly didn’t help, but I constantly voiced my frustration (at my television) that Keion seems like the only player that hadn’t bought into the team. Just seemed to be about himself all year. A lot of good things happened when they played through him, the Kansas game being the obvious standout. When they didn’t run through him, he would get the ball and take bad shots anyway.

I can see Keion having a bit of a sour taste though. Stuff just didn’t go great here in his 3 years. Covid played a big factor, but I don’t think he ever expected he’d play 3 years here and not win a tournament game. I don’t blame him at all for transferring and I really haven’t seen many fans sour about it. It just kind of looks like the rare amicable divorce.
Good post - makes a ton of sense.

I think he was TRYING to make it about him and not Kentucky. And instead he made it about Kentucky.

The reality is--if you're an NBA talent--you want to be at Kentucky competing against other NBA talent. The idea that you're going to go get more minutes because the players around you are less talented--and that's somehow better for your NBA chances--well that's insane. Iron sharpens iron. NBA scouts are going to think it's great and all that he's getting 35 minutes a game at Washington--but why couldn't he hack it in the SEC?

When he's hot, he can take over a game. The problem is he got hot once last year. And he was able to get as many open looks as he wanted because of the talent around him and the defense willing to give him those looks.

I think he's a good kid. I think he's got talent. But the 20 foot jumpers 10 seconds into the shot clock will not be missed. He was going to be in an absolute dog fight for minutes. He saw the writing on the wall. So he took his ball and went home.

Yeah. Someone should bookmark this thread. We will revisit around mid season. It’ll be glorious.
I’m going to hold off on singing victory. Toppin has not done anything against real competition that is in his face. Not wanting to eat crow come four games into conference play. Hoping for the best.

He knew Toppin was better and would get the starting nod.I wish him the best and it was a good decision for both sides.
Better at getting beat by his man going to the basket? No Brooks stays in front of his man in defense. Better rebounding to. Its the only spot we'll lack this year unless Collins can take the starting spot and keep it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT