ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: BYU students made to remove shirts or be kicked out

Why is Texas so sensitive about the horns down thing? This is just one of several times over the years that I’ve seen them raise a stink over it.

It seems like such a mild harmless taunt to me. Am I missing something?
Nope. They whined and cried so people keep doing it. Just like we do to UofL.

What’s even more ironic is the creator of the “Hook ‘em” sign said he could care less and doesn’t mind the Horns Down.

SEC is going to be brutal to the other UT.

And this is a conference that counts John Higgins and Doug Sirmons among its officials. Maybe they should worry more about policing those incompetent hacks than some harmless college kids.
The problem was Texas was their major cash cow so they were protecting them. (like the SEC should do to us but whatever)

There will be no protection down here when they arrive. I hope every home fan base gives them hell.

Last edited:
Why is Texas so sensitive about the horns down thing? This is just one of several times over the years that I’ve seen them raise a stink over it.

I was wondering the same thing, “Am I missing something”? Frankly, I thought there some sort of sexual reference that I was too old and unhip to understand. 😂

I’ve lived in Texas now for 10 years. This isn’t that unusual. Folks are pretty sensitive about a lot of things.

BYU is a private school and can get away with controlling speech. Vandy is the only private school in the SEC. Texas is going to wish they never started this cowardly nonsense. If any other school in the SEC tries controlling speech I hope the people affected have spine enough to file suit. The school will lose.

No clue man. I can’t even come up with something funny to say about “horns down”, so no damned clue why they are so offended.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

I just heard about them whining about it earlier this year.

Edit: it was their games against UCF! Here is what the coach said.

Texas Head Coach Rodney Terry called UCF’s actions “classless” after the Knights upset the Longhorns in Austin and threw up the horns down as they walked through the handshake line when the game ended just a couple weeks ago. It made national news and was still a story heading into Saturday’s game.

Not even Little sister UofL gets that upset over L’s down.

BYU is a private school and can get away with controlling speech. Vandy is the only private school in the SEC. Texas is going to wish they never started this cowardly nonsense. If any other school in the SEC tries controlling speech I hope the people affected have spine enough to file suit. The school will lose.
Depends. Say this happened in Rupp and Rupp made students take them off. There would be NO case. Rupp is a private venue. There are rules of conduct, etc and with it being private property? You’re not going to win.

Now if the gym is owned by the university itself, that’s gets trickier. There’s probably still some rule in the university code of conduct that if you’re asked to behave a certain way, etc they could enforce it, blah blah blah. It would definitely go up the chain of courts though and face a legit legal chalkenge. Most would probably settle before it got that far.

That does bring up an interesting question. Is Rupm the only privately owned venue in the SEC? I know Vandy is a private school, but their arena is owned by Vandy. Is UK the inly SEC team that doesn’t own the arena it plays in?

Depends. Say this happened in Rupp and Rupp made students take them off. There would be NO case. Rupp is a private venue. There are rules of conduct, etc and with it being private property? You’re not going to win.

Now if the gym is owned by the university itself, that’s gets trickier. There’s probably still some rule in the university code of conduct that if you’re asked to behave a certain way, etc they could enforce it, blah blah blah. It would definitely go up the chain of courts though and face a legit legal chalkenge. Most would probably settle before it got that far.

That does bring up an interesting question. Is Rupm the only privately owned venue in the SEC? I know Vandy is a private school, but their arena is owned by Vandy. Is UK the inly SEC team that doesn’t own the arena it plays in?
True but in context with BYU, it would be UK telling them to remove the shirts. That's what BYU did.

UK rents Rupp so unless a very unlikely event happened, UK would be on the hook. It's a bit hard to believe the owners of Rupp would act ON THEIR OWN to protect the visiting team in that way.

It’s bizarre how uptight and pissy they get over this. If you make a big deal about a weird hand gesture being your thing, then you should know rival fans are eventually gonna start making fun of it. Common sense.

Why do they think they are above the sort of normal opposing fan ribbing everyone has to deal with?

The article mentioned the "handshake line." If players were doing it in the handshake line, yeah, I could see the opposing coach getting upset. That could lead to a fight and players getting suspended, etc. Other than that, it does seem like the coach is a sore loser.

I just heard about them whining about it earlier this year.

Edit: it was their games against UCF! Here is what the coach said.

Texas Head Coach Rodney Terry called UCF’s actions “classless” after the Knights upset the Longhorns in Austin and threw up the horns down as they walked through the handshake line when the game ended just a couple weeks ago. It made national news and was still a story heading into Saturday’s game.

Not even Little sister UofL gets that upset over L’s down.
UL has gotten used to it

Living in the San Antonio area for many years now...know and expect this: Texans are "bat shit crazy" over their sports teams. Mostly divided between A&M or Longhorns on the college level. Those with money around here have a bit of Baylor love. One has to get pretty close to the Houston area to see that program love. If there's a rule they can exploit...they will. "Horns Down" shirts are pretty damn comical to me and I fully support BYUs passion for their team and creativeness.

Texas will bring a solid program and following to the SEC. The fact that A&M is already here opens a plethora of entertainment and crazy fans. I'm not a fan of either program, but I might have to get tickets to that game...pure hatred. But Texas better get used to SEC sports fast and expect some "clean" offensive t-shirts in the upcoming future! Lol.

Telling the students to remove the shirts was BYU trying to "take a moral high road" after what happened the previous game between Texas - UCF.

As usual, its a meaningless gesture by a religious institution to show us what a high standard they live up to.

Now excuse me while I go reset the alarm on my hypocrisy meter.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Honestly I would argue that them using hookem horns is just as offensive to me as horns down is to them so how does their rights and sensitivity out weigh mine? But they are in for a rude awakening next year if n the SEC. That weak stuff ain’t going to play over here. Just wait until they have to go to Miss St and listen to those cow bells for 3’hours.

"DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS, Y'ALL! YEEEEEEEEEEAAAHAWWWWWWWW!

(Okay but seriously, please don't mess with Texas. I can't handle it. Pwease no steppy)."

– Texas when SEC fans bastardize their mascot next season

At Miss. St. - cow bell in one hand, horns down with the other. LOL
just remember Miss St from 1992....

Mississippi State University’s football coach had a bull castrated in front of his team before a big game this month because he thought it would be “motivational and educational.”

Jackie Sherrill, the head coach at Mississippi State, invited the bull’s owner to castrate the animal on the practice field in the week preceding the team’s victory over the University of Texas at Austin. The Texas mascot is a longhorn steer.

Reactions: UK90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT