ADVERTISEMENT

Should Sawyer be the QB for Bowl to prep Offense for next season?

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
With a month to prepare and our Receiving Corp being virtually extra blockers for most of the season, wouldn't it be more beneficial to run the offense that we will use next season in the Bowl game?

I think so.

No. The only benefit for next year would be if Terry was able to practice. The bowl prep will be great for the freshmen and red shirts though.

Reactions: rockout1
Hmm .. Those that know my posting know I HAD BEEN hollering for SS loudly up until about 3 weeks ago .. now that the opportunity to give SS a month of games has passed I think we just ride out the Lynn Bowden train. That rain is rolling . Cant see the value in giving SS 1 game .. you give him 3-4 games thats different . Just ride Lynn. Unless Lynn says he would like to be a slot guy for the bowl . He has earned that right .

What about our WR's and TE's? Do we really need to just disregard them in the offense?

If not Sawyer, then the only way our offense can get them involved is for Lynn to practice throwing passes again for the entire month. This will mean that he won't get any work as a WR, which will hamper his future as well as next years offense.

Personally, I want to see Lynn at QB because it gives us the best chance to win, but I also see the benefit of working an entire month toward making next season's team better.

If I had to bet, I see Coach Stoops sticking with Lynn.

Last edited:
With a month to prepare and our Receiving Corp being virtually extra blockers for most of the season, wouldn't it be more beneficial to run the offense that we will use next season in the Bowl game?

I think so.

mmm no.

Reactions: Ridgecat
Very interesting choice , I wonder if Lynn might want to go back to wide out by his own choice for the bowl . He has kinda proved he can run on anybody . But he's gonna get $$$$$$$$$. to catch the ball , not run it .

As I said in another thread, I would let Lynn decide that. Does he want to be a WR or a QB. I know many disagree with me. That is fine. For me, it does not matter.

Now, watching Lynn hang 300 yards rushing on a team is a blast! So, I am good with that.

Exactly. Let him choose

Reactions: mattrudd
Very interesting choice , I wonder if Lynn might want to go back to wide out by his own choice for the bowl . He has kinda proved he can run on anybody . But he's gonna get $$$$$$$$$. to catch the ball , not run it .

This is EXACTLY my point. It really benefits both Lynn and our offense for next season to have Sawyer at QB. However, it probably makes winning the Bowl game less likely.

Like @Caveman Catfan said above, it should be ALL Lynn's decision.

One game isn't going to improve our passing attack with 2 guys that barely/haven't played their positions the last half of the year. Just do what got you here and either show what you can do at your normal positions next year or in the NFL.

I think so.
Ah no.... go with what got you here..

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
One game isn't going to improve our passing attack with 2 guys that barely/haven't played their positions the last half of the year. Just do what got you here and either show what you can do at your normal positions next year or in the NFL.
Well the month of practice will improve the passing attack for the long term. And you are right...Lynn's normal position is Wide-out...so that's where he needs to play!

Reactions: catben
Why would we use a sub optimal strategy in the bowl game?

College football is so strange.......it's as if so much effort is placed on getting to the bowl game, but less on actually winning the game lol.

I'd like to win the game and finish the season with 8 wins.

What about our WR's and TE's? Do we really need to just disregard them in the offense?

If not Sawyer, then he only way our offense can get them involved is for Lynn to practice throwing passes again for the entire month. This will mean that he won't get any work as a WR, which will hamper his future as well as next years offense.

Personally, I want to see Lynn at QB because it gives us the best chance to win, but I also see the benefit of working an entire month toward making next season's team better.

If I recall Stoops contract, it has $$ incentives for games won, including bowls. But, I think he'll respect Bowden's wishes should he prefer to play WR, or not play at all.

If I recall Stoops contract, it has $$ incentives for games won, including bowls. But, I think he'll respect Bowden's wishes should he prefer to play WR, or not play at all.

He might get a bonus for winning the bowl as well but don't remember. He already got a $100k for getting to a bowl and also another year on the contract for 7 wins. Hopefully everyone does what's best for the team.

Reactions: kywildcat41086

If not Sawyer, then he only way our offense can get them involved is for Lynn to practice throwing passes again for the entire month. This will mean that he won't get any work as a WR, which will hamper his future as well as next years offense.

LB was 8-10 passing vs Vandy, could be Bowl game plan !

If not Sawyer, then the only way our offense can get them involved is for Lynn to practice throwing passes again for the entire month. This will mean that he won't get any work as a WR, which will hamper his future as well as next years offense.

I would too. Re: the receivers ... I would suspect they don't have as much of a problem not piling stats when we're winning by 30 and setting records. In fairness, they could help their cause by getting the 50/50 balls at least 10% of the time.

I think so.
Another comment: I recall Bill McCartney doing this with CU back in the early 90s. They had been an option team, but made a commitment to go pass-oriented the next year. So, during bowl prep, they installed the new offense. Didn't fit their personnel (Darian Hagans was a really good option QB, but just not a drop-back guy IIRC), but he stuck to it. I think they won a nat'l title a couple of years later.

So, I say all that to say this may not be a bad idea. I couldn't fault CMS for going either way. I'm glad I'm not in his spot! I bet he'll stick with LBJr for the game, but wouldn't be surprised to see SS running a series or two.

Edit: looks like my memory was reversed. CU won the title (shared) in 90 with Hagan as Jr QB. Then the next year they changed the offense prior to bowl game. They lost to the Tide.

Last edited:
No. Lynn Bowden has earned the start and has earned the right to show his skills on national TV by being the only game on or one of a few. Let him shine and just turn him loose. He is once in a generation star of stars for our Cats.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Bowden will have to decide if he wants to play in the bowl, period.
I think that decision was made when the Cats became bowl eligible. He is from Youngstown and tough. He loves to play football and I see no way in the world he skips out. Unless he gets injured during practice.

IMO Lynn Bowden will not pass on an opportunity to play on a national stage wearing the Blue and White with pride. He has more to prove

I think that decision was made when the Cats became bowl eligible. He is from Youngstown and tough. He loves to play football and I see no way in the world he skips out. Unless he gets injured during practice.

IMO Lynn Bowden will not pass on an opportunity to play on a national stage wearing the Blue and White with pride. He has more to prove

I agree.

He doesn't strike me as the person that would sit this one out.

No. This is Lynn’s team to run for his last game. We have months to prepare for TERRY next year. Win or lose with one of the greatest to wear the jersey.

This. Also, were averaging like 450 yards on the ground the last 3 games. People know it's coming and STILL cant stop it. Ride the train. Keep Smith ready to shake things up from time to time, but stick with Bowden to close out his career (as sad as that is to say).

Reactions: Canned Heat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT