ADVERTISEMENT

Should have known after Shaedon Sharpe…

Mdnerd

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2022
Either Cal got played, or much more likely, he was in on that scam, and it should have been all people needed to see to conclude Cal is done.

If he got played, that’s downright embarrassing and shows his level of apathy. That crap doesn’t happen to other elite coaches.

The more likely scenario of him being in on it shows he’s agenda driven, and UK winning doesn’t make it anywhere on that agenda. Lots of other not so subtle clues that Cal is 100% agenda driven and winning means squat. Get his a$$ out!

Either Cal got played, or much more likely, he was in on that scam, and it should have been all people needed to see to conclude Cal is done.

If he got played, that’s downright embarrassing and shows his level of apathy. That crap doesn’t happen to other elite coaches.

The more likely scenario of him being in on it shows he’s agenda driven, and UK winning doesn’t make it anywhere on that agenda. Lots of other not so subtle clues that Cal is 100% agenda driven and winning means squat. Get his a$$ out!
I am assuming he is getting lots of big money from agents to use Ky as a g league and as soon as they are drafted he gets a hunk of a bonus. Sharpe and Vanderbilt didn’t want to even play but just train at KY.

I honestly cannot recall any player at UK not wanting to play like we saw with SS.

Nor can I recall any other program that would have tolerated that.

I am assuming he is getting lots of big money from agents to use Ky as a g league and as soon as they are drafted he gets a hunk of a bonus. Sharpe and Vanderbilt didn’t want to even play but just train at KY.
Vanderbilt was on the bench hurt. He was hurt half the following season as a pro. Idk why half the fans don't see this fact.
Sharpe stands alone in this category.

I don’t think he got tricked into it. I think there’s two possibilities:

1) as you suggested, he’s in on the scam and getting a kick back. If this is true than that would absolutely be cause to fire and avoid the buyout so I do think that is less likely than…

2) he wasn’t in on it to begin with and doesn’t get kick backs from ex players or their agents but he is just softer now. I think Stephen A. (As much as I dislike him) hit the nail on the head with his assessment of Cal. This isn’t the hungry, go after the opponent’s throat, win at all costs, John Calipari from UMASS, Memphis, and first half UK Cal. That Cal was more like your dad, give you the tough love and discipline you need and didn’t play favorites at the expense of the team’s success.

The Cal we got now is more like a grandfather who wants to spoil his grandchildren and let the parents discipline them. If we had the old Cal he would’ve called one or both Wagner and Dillingham a selfish mfer on national television at some point this season. If we had the old Cal he would’ve had DJ as the sixth man, Edwards as the seventh, with Rob and Reed starting.

If the new version of Cal was what we had to begin with he would’ve never told Demarcus Cousins that if he didn’t want to finish conditioning that he wouldn’t start. He would start Cousins regardless.

I’m not like most on here. I don’t think Cal is bad coach much like I didn’t think Tubby was a bad recruiter. I think Cal is now an unwilling coach just like I thought Tubby was an unwilling recruiter. Tubby proved he was capable of recruiting big names at UK with the Rondo class (those guys were huge names in high school even if they didn’t quite pan out). And Cal proved to be a capable coach while at UMASS and Memphis where he was getting elite freshmen but also had developed lower ranked talent over the years as well. He did not have freshmen dominated line ups as I remember, but rather, had key freshman plug-ins like Rose, Evans, and Camby.

Whatever the case is I am in the camp that the old Cal isn’t coming back. I’ve been waiting for over a half a decade for that old Cal and it becomes ever more apparent each year that he isn’t walking through that door.

I honestly cannot recall any player at UK not wanting to play like we saw with SS.

Nor can I recall any other program that would have tolerated that.

Vanderbilt was on the bench hurt. He was hurt half the following season as a pro. Idk why half the fans don't see this fact.
Tbf, Diallo tried to do the exact same thing but wasn’t projected anywhere near as high as Sharpe and only came back to try to play his way to where he thought he should’ve been. If Diallo had been projected, solidly, in the top 20 of the draft he would’ve left after never playing a second for UK.

They don’t see it because they think they are smarter than everyone else. Heaven forbid they pay attention to the actual facts like you presented. Instead they run with wild speculation at every turn and have half the recruits and half the country thinking we have the most ridiculous fans around. And those people are likely correct. It’s embarrassing.

Cal’s #1 priority is to get kids to the NBA. If it means bringing a kid on, work out, practice, no games, so be it as long as he got to the league. Goal accomplished

... you're right when you say that "this crap doesn't happen to other elite coaches". It happened to Cal ... b/c he's not elite. He may be simply corrupt.

Last edited:
none-done.png

Cal perpetuated the Sharpe scam.

You have to believe there is some sort of monetary incentive from either the NBA or these player's agents for Cal to continue with this charade while abusing the UK basketball program and the BBN fans.

Last edited:
Cal perpetuated the Sharpe scam.

You have to believe there is some sort of monetary incentive from either the NBA or these player's agents for Cal to continue with this charade while abusing the UK basketball program and the BBN fans.
Exactly and this should be cause for termination with cause and make his contract null and void… He’s coaching for the school and not for this stupid charade….

Jarred Vanderbilt took his fake injury to the NBA too and missed half of his rookie year. LOL at wanting to train, what kind of sense does that even make.

SS wasn’t confident enough in his abilities to play when he had the choice! I was beginning to think the same was going to happen with Bradshaw (fake it until you make it), but he manned up and eventually got out onto the court!

It killed his draft stock, but at least he didn’t puss out! Tons of respect for AB because of it💯

Certainly one of the most bizarre and infuriating situations in the history of our program, quite unnecessary and a gross miscalculation on his part. A perfect time to assert that the "inmates are not in charge nor are they running the asylum." Kids (and subordinates) are supposed to do what they're told and led to do, or they're going to accept the consequences of their poor decisions. In that case, play or leave, no in between.

Reactions: bIhawk
Glad that is behind us. Players first though is the mantra and the UK fanbase gets held hostage to it.

Reactions: bIhawk
I'm all for blaming Cal for his lack of production, but blaming him for players being hurt or choosing not to play is just dumb.

There are more than enough criticisms that can be made based on fact, we don't need conspiracy theories without evidence to back them up to make the case.

I'm all for blaming Cal for his lack of production, but blaming him for players being hurt or choosing not to play is just dumb.
Ummmm….we sure as hell can blame him! What exactly is dumb about it?

Cal could’ve told Sharpe to hit the road any time after he refused to play. Instead….he let him suit up and lounge on the UK sideline all year long.

Ummmm….we sure as hell can blame him! What exactly is dumb about it?

Cal could’ve told Sharpe to hit the road any time after he refused to play. Instead….he let him suit up and lounge on the UK sideline all year long.
Sure I guess you CAN blame him for other people getting hurt or for decisions others made. It's just stupid to do so.

Also, how would kicking him off the team anytime in January-March have helped anything? There are tons of things you can rightfully blame Cal for, not sure why anyone even brings this up.

I’m not like most on here. I don’t think Cal is bad coach much like I didn’t think Tubby was a bad recruiter. I think Cal is now an unwilling coach just like I thought Tubby was an unwilling recruiter. Tubby proved he was capable of recruiting big names at UK with the Rondo class (those guys were huge names in high school even if they didn’t quite pan out). And Cal proved to be a capable coach while at UMASS and Memphis where he was getting elite freshmen but also had developed lower ranked talent over the years as well. He did not have freshmen dominated line ups as I remember, but rather, had key freshman plug-ins like Rose, Evans, and Camby.

Whatever the case is I am in the camp that the old Cal isn’t coming back. I’ve been waiting for over a half a decade for that old Cal and it becomes ever more apparent each year that he isn’t walking through that door.
That's about the best take on both coaches I've seen on here.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT