ADVERTISEMENT

Goal Should be a 3 seed in NCAA Tourney

backinky2018

Freshman
Sep 14, 2021
We do not want to play Uconn or Purdue prior to the Elite 8. A 3 seed should be the goal, as none of the 2 seeds are too scary.

Lunardi moved us up to a 5 seed after last night's win. Winning two of the next 3 should be enough to keep us as 5 seed or move us up to 4.

Hold serve against Vandy and ARky. Carnage is already happening elsewhere (Wisco and Aubie lost. Florida Atlanta getting killed today, etc).

At that point, you have a toughie in Knoxville and the SEC tourney to try and lock down a top 12 spot in the big dance.

3-seed would be hard and require winning most, if not all, of our remaining games. That would def be the ceiling for this team. Would love to see it happen. Winning the tourney is usually about who hot at the right time.

Reactions: fatguy87
Wow - went from a 9 to a 3 by beating a cold shooting team on the road.

Should not have lost that Florida game. Will be hard to get a 3 seed probably would need to only lose 1 more game rest of regular season then make the SEC Semi-finals to have any chance and then it still isn't a lock.

Losing the Florida, Gonzaga and UNCW games are holding this team back but that Florida one was a game locked up for a win couldn't have lost that shouldn't have lost that will haunt all year.

They already released the top four seeds and UK wasn’t in it. Five is now our ceiling.
Well, there are 6 games left and the SEC tournament. You know those were just as of yesterday right and will change?

I don’t believe we can lose to both Bama and UT and be a 4.

Bama is in similar shape to us. They only have 2 Q1 wins to our 3. They just have a much better SOS. We have to beat them at a Rupp. We can pass them and should have every intention of doing so.

Purdue isn’t scary. UCONN, Houston, and Arizona are all better, imo. Tennessee probably is too, but we most likely wouldn’t see them again before the FF, and it would be unprecedented for them to make it that far.

Kansas, if healthy, is the next biggest threat to us outside of UCONN, Houston, Zona, imo. Iowa St is also very good, but I doubt they have the offense for a deep run.

Well, there are 6 games left and the SEC tournament. You know those were just as of yesterday right and will change?

Kentucky has only made 1 appearance in this new format and that was two years ago when we were gifted a 2 seed. It’s because we were a 2 seed in this top 16 thing, despite limping to the finish. It really has not changed all that much since they debuted it. If Kentucky wasn’t a top four seed yesterday, they won’t be in four weeks.

Kentucky has only made 1 appearance in this new format and that was two years ago when we were gifted a 2 seed. It’s because we were a 2 seed in this top 16 thing, despite limping to the finish. It really has not changed all that much since they debuted it. If Kentucky wasn’t a top four seed yesterday, they won’t be in four weeks.
That absolutely is not how it works. If we won out the rest of the way, we would probably get a 2 seed.

That absolutely is not how it works. If we won out the rest of the way, we would probably get a 2 seed.

Instead of resting your argument on If, why don’t you show me the data? Show me the team that wasn’t in their top four seeds since they started this, but wound up a 2 seed.

Instead of resting your argument on If, why don’t you show me the data? Show me the team that wasn’t in their top four seeds since they started this, but wound up a 2 seed.
We were number 12 in 2017 and ended up number 5. So clearly teams move up and down.

Also, every year is different. Some are more locked in than others.

We beat a 4 yesterday. We know we play a 3 and 2, possibly multiple times. We already beat the very thin number 5 overall.

I’m not saying we will be a 2. I’m saying we probably will be if we win out because our resume would support it.

It’s not a new format. They just are letting us know the top 16 a month out from the tournament. It absolutely will change 4 weeks from now. 3 is UK’s ceiling. Now they may slip up and lose some games they shouldn’t, but to act like a 5 is the ceiling and that these top 16 are somehow locked in is 100% incorrect. Too many good opportunities left to move up a couple seed lines.

I mean I am personally not going to go look that up, but that wasn't YOUR argument. You said that because we weren't in the top 16 reveal yesterday, that our ceiling is now a 5 seed.

That is wildly incorrect.

Why don't YOU show the data proving that no team outside of the top 16 in the very first reveal has NEVER cracked the top 16 by selection Sunday. Please, please, PLEASE, show me that data to backup YOUR argument?

I mean I am personally not going to go look that up, but that wasn't YOUR argument. You said that because we weren't in the top 16 reveal yesterday, that our ceiling is now a 5 seed.

That is wildly incorrect.

Why don't YOU show the data proving that no team outside of the top 16 in the very first reveal has NEVER cracked the top 16 by selection Sunday. Please, please, PLEASE, show me that data to backup YOUR argument?

Since I didn’t ask you and Aike already conceded, I’ll decline your petulant demands.

Top-16 NCAA reveal for end of regular season (2/18/24):
(My wild-azz-guess, based on remaining schedules)

(In Order)
#1 Seeds
1. UCONN (27-4)
2. Purdue (27-4)
3. Houston (26-5)
4. Arizona (26-5)

#2 Seeds
5. Duke (26-5)
6. Marquette (24-7)
7. Iowa St. (25-6)
8. N. Carolina (23-8)

#3 Seeds
9. Baylor (25-6)
10. Tennessee (24-7)
11. Kansas (23-8)
12. Alabama (22-9)

#4 Seeds
13. Creighton (24-7)
14. Virginia (24-7)
15. Illinois (24-7)
16. Auburn (24-7)

I think UK's best shot could be a #4. They would have to finish the next six games at 5-1, (23-8/ 13-5) and finish (3-3) against the above sixteen teams, probably dropping Auburn down, due to their same league record and UK winning the head-to-head.

UK HAS TO WIN and some of these other teams have to have a number of OMG losses.

It could play out that way. Hard to see how we could win out without passing Bama and probably Tennessee, but there are always some head scratchers.
No doubt, there are alway 2-3 teams that get the benefit of the doubt because of the schedule and This year bama is one of them, I could be wrong but I think their only good win is Auburn at home

No doubt, there are alway 2-3 teams that get the benefit of the doubt because of the schedule and This year bama is one of them, I could be wrong but I think their only good win is Auburn at home
They have only 2 Q1 wins. They have been a great front runner this year, but we kind of have to knock them off at home to get some separation.

Keeping them from winning the league would help too. Championships matter.

You didn't concede anything- he just realized that the data actually doesn't support HIS argument, so he never should have asked for data in the first place, so now he is running away from it altogether. @CELTICAT

It’s just 6 years of comparison, you can look it up. Here’s a spoiler though, no team outside the 16 ended up a 1, 2, or 3 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT