ADVERTISEMENT

Goal Should be a 3 seed in NCAA Tourney

It’s just 6 years of comparison, you can look it up. Here’s a spoiler though, no team outside the 16 ended up a 1, 2, or 3 seed.

I mean, I don't really care to look it up, but that wasn't your argument. You said our absolute ceiling is a 5 seed because we weren't in the reveal yesterday. Now you are pivoting to a 3 seed because you realize you were wrong.

You're also incorrect, literally just picked a random year (2021) and pulled it up, neither Arkansas NOR Kansas were in the initial 16 seed reveal and BOTH ended up being a 3 seed. Literally the first one I chose to look at I saw you were wrong with not one but TWO different teams.

You need to just log off at this point I think.

2021 Top-16 seed reveal

Do not forget that winning the SEC tournament will NOT HELP YOU but making it to the SEC Semi-Finals and Finals will help.

Crazy a week ago at this time we all were talking 8 seed and now talking 2/3 seed ?

Let's beat LSU first before we start this kind of talk. That will be a TOUGH GAME because it is on the road. Though we are better on the road this year then at home.

Crazy a week ago at this time we all were talking 8 seed and now talking 2/3 seed ?

Let's beat LSU first before we start this kind of talk. That will be a TOUGH GAME because it is on the road. Though we are better on the road this year then at home.

Yeah its one game at a time for this bunch. Long way to go.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29

WE are going to go ahead and talk about it. I mean, if that’s ok with you? Don’t have a ton of other stuff going on this afternoon.

Should not have lost that Florida game. Will be hard to get a 3 seed probably would need to only lose 1 more game rest of regular season then make the SEC Semi-finals to have any chance and then it still isn't a lock.

Losing the Florida, Gonzaga and UNCW games are holding this team back but that Florida one was a game locked up for a win couldn't have lost that shouldn't have lost that will haunt all year.
The A&M game was worse, IMO. That team stinks. Florida is on a roll.

I'd like to have losses back in the following order:

1 - Tennessee
2 - Kansas
3 - Wilmington
4 - Aggies
5 - Zags
6 - Florida
7 - South Carolina

Reactions: Atrain7732

I don't have to worry about LSU; the players and coaches do. I can just get a buzz. And I will(am).

I don't think winning the SEC tournament championship game has ever helped us (or losing has hurt us) because it seems like the decision about where UK goes is made on Saturday

Reactions: ukfan1622
I think win out and win at least 1 SEC Tournament game, and a 2 is possible.

If we lose @ UT and win the rest of our games--a 3 is possible.

Lose to Bama and UT--probably not gonna get better than a 4. Maybe a 5.

Lose to UT/Bama/Someone else, probably squarely a 6.

I don't think winning the SEC tournament championship game has ever helped us (or losing has hurt us) because it seems like the decision about where UK goes is made on Saturday
They have counted it in some years and not others.

It seems like if the two teams in the finals are similarly seeded, then they'll make 2 bracket to factor it in.

And if a 1 seed is in play for either team, they'll count it.

It seems like if the two teams in the finals are similarly seeded, then they'll make 2 bracket to factor it in.

I’ve heard them claim they had backup plans in years where losing could have hurt us.

They could have easily had 2 scenarios in 2016. They didn’t, and we got sent cross country to play Big 10 champ IU.

One of the arguments they started making was that teams had to make travel plans, so they needed things wrapped up on Saturday so they could privately alert teams where they were going.

I don't care what our seed is. I rather lose to UCONN in 2nd rd than some perceived scrub lol

I feel we can beat anyone in the country or lose to anyone. Hard to imagine us winning 6 in a row for tourny but all other teams can say the same thing.

Thanks for the update Aike!

We do not want to play Uconn or Purdue prior to the Elite 8. A 3 seed should be the goal, as none of the 2 seeds are too scary.

Lunardi moved us up to a 5 seed after last night's win. Winning two of the next 3 should be enough to keep us as 5 seed or move us up to 4.

Hold serve against Vandy and ARky. Carnage is already happening elsewhere (Wisco and Aubie lost. Florida Atlanta getting killed today, etc).

At that point, you have a toughie in Knoxville and the SEC tourney to try and lock down a top 12 spot in the big dance.
That idiot has or at least yesterday had WIS as a 4 whos lost 5 of their last 6 including to 8-18 Michigan, Dook as a 4 with 2 worse losses than us to 2 teams with losing records and they play nobody in a horrible ACC. We should as of today be a 4 if those 2 are. A 3 should be very doable.

Injuries can be a major seeding factor also. If Duke loses Filipowski or UNC loses Davis or UT loses Knecht, the seedings will be significantly affected.

Kentucky better not take LSU lightly despite their poor ratings.

LSU has wins AT Texas A&M by 15 and AT South Carolina

Umm we lost at both those places they did not.

The players better not be feeling themselves after that great Auburn win.

A slow start could spell Doom

So when teams shoot well against us, our defense sucks. When they shoot bad against us, they are a cold shooting team. I get it.
Did they shoot badly against us, though? If so, would that not fit the definition of cold shooting?

Dude is so upset Kentucky won yesterday lol.
Not at all. I love it when the team wins. You can keep saying that I get mad when we win, but that doesn't make it true. I'm mad at our coach. I love the program. I know that's difficult for some people to grasp because it's not black and white enough.

My post was making fun of fans who switch immediately from the sky is falling to everything is sunshine and roses. It's comical.

Not sure I see us even being a 3-seed in the SEC tournament.
A 2 or 3 seed is still possible in Nashville. Lots of basketball to be played yet. The teams at the top have some tough games left. @UT is the toughest game we have left on our schedule.

This team seems to thrive on the road when no one gives them a shot to win.

Wow - went from a 9 to a 3 by beating a cold shooting team on the road.
And there it is. The "crowd" that will bitch even in a win, find a excuse when they WON, but you let a team beat us by 1 and shot lights out, and it is fire Cal, the kids can't play defense, etc. Your TYPE always has some BS excuse when we win, blame Cal and the players when we lose. We just went to AUBURN, toughest place to win in the SEC (currently), after they ran SC off the SAME court by 40, and pretty much handled them. Game was never in jeopardy of losing, won by DD's. Get a life. UK took it to them, played great defense (two games in a row now), and scored enough (we actually had a off night shooting) to win by 11, ON THE ROAD.

Reactions: ukfan1622
Go 5-1, win a game in the SEC tournament, we are WORST a 4 seed, win 2 games and a likely 3. In order to do that, we will get a couple more good quad wins, losing @ UT wouldn't hurt us. Remember, ALL of the SEC teams will lose more game, it is a fact. But yeah, 6 seed locked in. LOL. Some of you let your hate for Cal get in the way of facts. Keep in mid, UK did not play their A game and still won on the road by 11, cold shooting or not. But the fact of the matter is, Auburn got rattled, even intimidated by what UK was doing.
A week ago, MOST of you naysayers was saying 1-6 finish, NIT, 8th in the SEC, Ole Miss and Auburn was sure losses, especially at Auburn. You all had us losing by 20, now because we took it to Auburn and took them out of their comfort zone and soundly beat them, "they beat a team who had a bad shooting night". So did UK, we shot it below average, let me hit you with some facts ;
UK was 24/54 (44%) and 4/13 3Fg (30%), both WELL below our averages. Scored 70 points, nearly 20 below average.
Reeves was 8/20 (3/5 free throws)
Wagner was 1/6 (0/3 from 3fg)
Dillingam 4/9, only 1 3fg. (2/5 free throws) Only scored 11 points (all in the 1st half)
Sheppard 2/5 . NO 3fg, and only scored 4 points
We outrebounded Auburn 36-34
UK had 12 turnovers to Auburn's 11
UK was called for 23 fouls to 17 for Auburn, they shot 30 ft's to UK's 24. (Can't say the refs helped us !!)
So UK was not hitting on all cylinders so the "Auburn had a bad shooting night" just doesn't fly. We guarded and got after them, was the tougher team, hit shots at crucial times, and outplayed them just enough to win,,, by 11. Save that BS Auburn lost, UK did not win. UK TOOK IT from them, in their own gym, the same place they had just beat SC by 40 and Alabama by 18.

Last edited:
Look at the numbers from Alabama / Auburn game :
Shooting : Bama 22/59 37% Auburn 27/64 42% ( not a huge difference)
3 FG shooting : Bama 9/26 35% Auburn 5/19 26% (Bama made 4 more 3s than Auburn) (UK only shot 4/13, not great)
Free throws : Bama 28/35 80% Auburn 40/50 80% (50 free throws) UK only shot 24 FT's Bama shot 35.
Auburn outrebounded Bama 36/34 (same number UK outrebounded Auburn) Toughness.
Alabama had 15 turnovers, Auburn ONLY had 5. (UK turned it over les than Bama, but forced Auburn into 6 more turnovers than Bama did.
Auburn shot 42% to Bama's 37% from 2FG's, Bama shot 35% to 26% for Auburn on 3FG's (but lost)
Bama still scored 81 points, and LOST by 18. Simply put, UK played better DEFENSE than Alabama did against Auburn, that was the difference in winning by 11 and losing by 18. Auburn did not have a GREAT shooting night against Alabama neither. The difference was UK played better defense and slightly out rebounded them.
Against Auburn Bama made 11 more FT's than UK (11 point difference), made 5 more 3's (15 point difference). The difference is UK won by 11, Bama LOST by 18.

As for the "bad shooting night" ? OK, what about SC having a bad shooting night and losing by 40 at Auburn ? Did they just have a "bad shooting night"? or did Auburn just take it to them and cause it ? You know, the same thing UK did to Auburn, ON THE ROAD.

They already released the top four seeds and UK wasn’t in it. Five is now our ceiling.
You can't be that dumb!

So if the 17th team won-out, they couldn't move up. If the 16th team didn't win another game, they wouldn't drop. That is essentially what you are saying.

I agree with this.

I think 1 and 2 seeds are a bit out of reach.
3 seed I feel is still in reach and you don't want to fall on the 4/5 line for several reasons.

1) It puts you having to face a 1 seed earlier which isn't ideal.
2) Being a 4 seed gets you an unfavorable location for your first two games. 4 seeds basically get the locations left over.
3) Being a 5 seed, well you know how 5/12s go sometimes.

I hesitate to say 6 tho. Obviously bracketing rules would help us avoid some SEC teams (especially if say we play them again in the SEC tournament). But I have this feeling it's likely some of Auburn, UT or Bama end up on that 3 line. And I don't think those are teams you want to be facing in the second rd of the NCAA tournament.

Well if we can continue our one game hot streak, we should move up some, for sure. I could see a 4 at this point and maybe a 3.

I can't remember a single instance where it did. I'm open to changing my mind if given some examples (there may be some in this thread after I typed my original post)

I can't remember a single instance where it did. I'm open to changing my mind if given some examples (there may be some in this thread after I typed my original post)
I remember being outraged a few years back.

We won the SEC tournament against A&M IIRC, and the committee said it didn’t count.

Then a year or two later, someone else won and they said it was the deciding factor for moving them up.

Doesn’t help if it’s us, but does for others. Then they decided to say it was a contiengency bracket I think because a 1 seed was in play.

I remember being outraged a few years back.

We won the SEC tournament against A&M IIRC, and the committee said it didn’t count.

Then a year or two later, someone else won and they said it was the deciding factor for moving them up.

Doesn’t help if it’s us, but does for others. Then they decided to say it was a contiengency bracket I think because a 1 seed was in play.
seems like its always a moving goal post. I remember last 10 games meant something at one time too.

But I can't ever remember a time when winning the SEC championship moved us up from what we were projected to be at the start of the SEC tournament. I can remember a handful of times where winning it did nothing for us.

If we can close super strong a 2 seed is in play. It's been a bloodbath for ranked teams this year. There will be some more losses in the latter half of the top 10. Will take some luck and help though.

3 seed is very attainable if we finish strong. Get that SEC bye and a 3 seed. That's a damn good outcome considering the last few weeks.

Just want to avoid the 1 seeds until the E8 and we have as good a shot as any.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT