ADVERTISEMENT

Shot Distribution: Shepherd

The offense we run gets Reed Sheppard open looks. Reed doesn't always shoot them. That's on Reed. Not Calipari.

Reed shot 5 3 point shots. He turned down 2 or 3 more open looks from 3. So 7 or 8 looks he would have had today. How many shots does Cal need to scheme for him?

For f$%k's sake.

The other thing some of you don't seem to understand--the more a player shoots, the less efficient they are. The reason Reed shoots such a high percentage is because he takes good shots. If he starts taking 15 3's a game, his percentages will go down. There's a balance there.

I actually think 5 is an ok amount. It should have been 7 or 8.

Some of you just want to bi+ch and whine about something to do with Reed no matter what.

What is Cal supposed to do when Reed gets open 3's and won't shoot them?

I saw that like 3 times yesterday?

Reed turns down shots he has to shoot.

But yeah, FAAAAR CAL.
He could tell Reed what he supposedly tells others, shoot the ball or I can't play you! But, be can't do that because he's so valuable in other areas. Just shoot the ball Reed!

Thinking back to Jodie Meeks. That dude was willing to die to get open. Now a lot of that was scheme and a different coaching staff. But I would like to see shep more aggressive without the ball. One of the problems is he plays point a lot. I like him better at the 2. He gets more shot opportunities.

I’d like to see more action run specifically for reed to spring him open. I’d like to see some high screen and curls.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Thinking back to Jodie Meeks. That dude was willing to die to get open. Now a lot of that was scheme and a different coaching staff. But I would like to see shep more aggressive without the ball. One of the problems is he plays point a lot. I like him better at the 2. He gets more shot opportunities.

I’d like to see more action run specifically for reed to spring him open. I’d like to see some high screen and curls.
Sadly, you probably have a better shot of winning the lottery.

Apparently Cal wants Reed to shoot more, but he took five shots again. In 30 minutes.

In this game, however, it wasn’t an issue as most guys were taking good shots all night long.

First, I get that defense, not offense, is our primary issue.

With that said, are Cal and these coaches even trying to get Reed more open looks and to attack the basket?

It seems Tre has a green light and Reeves, Dilly, and DJ are encouraged/allowed to be volume shooters, but Reed plays high minutes again, while only attempting five shots.

I’m just not understanding why the most efficient player in college basketball is 6th on our team in FGA.
Who is "Shepherd?"

The point of you thread is to blame coaching for Reed's lack of shooting when it's clear he's the one passing up open shots.
Would you please pinpoint the times in the game when Sheppard passed up open shots? I didn't see any unless it was from the logo or something.

Would you please pinpoint the times in the game when Sheppard passed up open shots? I didn't see any unless it was from the logo or something.
If there's a replay somewhere online and I find myself with 2 hours of free time, sure.

I watched the whole game. So tell me all these shots that Reed passed up that were "open" if you watched the game. Should be easy for you.
I really do appologize for not writing down the minutes and seconds of the game where he didn't shoot. I'll start writing it down in future games.

I honestly think if you've watched the games this year, there's now way you've missed Reed turning down shots. It's been a theme.

But, Mike-McD didn't see it, so it must be Cal's fault.

Reactions: ukcatz12
I really do appologize for not writing down the minutes and seconds of the game where he didn't shoot. I'll start writing it down in future games.

I honestly think if you've watched the games this year, there's now way you've missed Reed turning down shots. It's been a theme.

But, Mike-McD didn't see it, so it must be Cal's fault.
You made the claim that Reed passed up "open shots." So back it up, big boy. Prove your case or STFU.

You made the claim that Reed passed up "open shots." So back it up, big boy. Prove your case or STFU.
I get it man. You're not smart enough to watch a game yourself and see when your favorite player turns down a shot. Nothing to feel bad about.

You don't have to be so rude just because you're a dumbass

I get it man. You're not smart enough to watch a game yourself and see when your favorite player turns down a shot. Nothing to feel bad about.

You don't have to be so rude just because you're a dumbass
I get it man. You're not man enough to back up your words when you make a wild accusation against one of our players and then get called out for it. It's not your fault you are so weak that you have to name call like a small child.

I'm not watching the whole game, but these weren't hard to find.

Gets his man in the air and has an open shot and instead passes it to Tre.

Has a WIDE OPEN 3 and passes it to Tre.

Gets his guy in the air and drives for a mid range but instead passes it.
Uhhh...nope. The first and third weren't even close to open shots. The second one was marginal. He had a man running at him and he's only 6-3. He probably didn't think he was open.

Nice try, though. I understand the new "Defenders of Cal" narrative is to discredit Sheppard by accusing him of passing up so-called "open" shots, thereby relieving Cal of any responsibility for not utilizing him correctly. You're doing your job. You just suck at it.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
The second one was marginal.
If this is what you think I'm convinced you don't know what you're watching or you're just here to troll. That's about as wide open as you can possibly get. In what world is this a marginally open shot? My disabled grandmother could get that shot off.
Screenshot-2024-01-17-at-11-33-51-PM.png

I think Reed is making what he thinks is the best decision given what he observes, his skills, and how he has been coached. Reed passes up open shots because he thinks it’s a good choice. Players aren’t out there intentionally trying to fail.
And YES.............. someone gets it................

Thinking of Jamal Murray full sprinting side to side to get open.

Reactions: Rockfly78

With that said, are Cal and these coaches even trying to get Reed more open looks and to attack the basket?

It seems Tre has a green light and Reeves, Dilly, and DJ are encouraged/allowed to be volume shooters, but Reed plays high minutes again, while only attempting five shots.

I’m just not understanding why the most efficient player in college basketball is 6th on our team in FGA.
Sheppard is probably trying to show his teammates what team basketball looks like. Honestly, the kid is such a pleasure to watch how he's able to involve the other players. He doesn't have to take all the shots ... nor should he. His value to the team can't be quantified, IMO. Whatever ways he contributes will be a valuable part of the reason we win.

Sheppard is probably trying to show his teammates what team basketball looks like. Honestly, the kid is such a pleasure to watch how he's able to involve the other players. He doesn't have to take all the shots ... nor should he. His value to the team can't be quantified, IMO. Whatever ways he contributes will be a valuable part of the reason we win.
Absolutely. He had 6 assists. I remember Pitino saying an assist was as good as a score. Shep makes his teammates better when he's on the floor.

No one insists he take all the shots. Just wondering why he's only averaging 4.5 field goal attempts per game in SEC play, and 6.9 per game on the year? Given that he's the best three-point shooter in the nation and the most efficient offensive player in the nation, it seems like a good idea to get him more looks. And apparently Cal feels the same way now.

Reactions: KyLegacy
If this is what you think I'm convinced you don't know what you're watching or you're just here to troll. That's about as wide open as you can possibly get. In what world is this a marginally open shot? My disabled grandmother could get that shot off.
Screenshot-2024-01-17-at-11-33-51-PM.png
The still doesn't portray the same as the video. The white blur to his right is the MSU player flying at him. Granted he probably could have gotten the shot off, but maybe from his perspective it wasn't a clear opening. As I said, it's marginal. Nice try though. Your disabled grandmother is making you a sandwich, time to come upstairs from the basement.

No one insists he take all the shots. Just wondering why he's only averaging 4.5 field goal attempts per game in SEC play, and 6.9 per game on the year? Given that he's the best three-point shooter in the nation and the most efficient offensive player in the nation, it seems like a good idea to get him more looks. And apparently Cal feels the same way now.
A lot of it is on Reed himself. He has JJ reddick like skill but does not have JJ reddick like court personality. The table is set for all our guards to get up shots. But Reed doesn't choose to eat like the other guys. Dilly is starving.

of course he has the green light
it is up to Reed when he wants to shoot it

Several on the board have lamented that he doesn't look for his shot enough. That's probably true but he seems to be just as interested in getting his teammates quality looks when he can. That will make others around him better without him (or Cal) putting too much pressure on himself to take shots when he would rather look for his teammates. It's a great problem to have and should really pay dividends heading into March.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT