ADVERTISEMENT

Shohei Ohtani

Never happen.

Pete Rose's value to the league had been used up by the time his charges came around.

Ohtani is just scratching the surface. Plenty of dough to be squeezed out yet. (don't take this as an argument for or against the merits of the case)

😂 at anyone believing a “bookie” or even the mafia is likely taking a 10 million dollar parlay with +2500 odds 😂.

How many people you think have $250,000,000 lying around to cash that bet out? Especially knowing the guy placing the bet has control over the game?

Lord, the gullibility the internet creates is astounding.

Never happen.

Pete Rose's value to the league had been used up by the time his charges came around.

Ohtani is just scratching the surface. Plenty of dough to be squeezed out yet. (don't take this as an argument for or against the merits of the case)

I was with a few baseball buddies who played various levels of D1-D3 baseball. And that was their take. This is very bad, like Pete Rose levels of bad, but they don't think they will do anything because he's such a star that they will let it slide.

That Twitter thread is pretty nonsensical. Ohtani pitched 6 shutout innings that day before getting beat up in the 7th inning.

It seems to me one of three things happened.

1. Ohtani was placing bets through an illegal bookie through his interpreter Ippei.

2. Ippei racked up a huge debt and Ohtani covered it for him by wiring the illegal bookie millions of dollars.

3. Ippei somehow (through a power of attorney or something) accessed Ohtani's bank accounts and managed to make at least nine $500K payments without him noticing.

For me, scenario 1 seems the most likely and scenario 3 (the current official narrative) is way too far fetched for me to believe. If the first scenario is true, I've seen zero evidence thus far that he bet on baseball. If he bet on baseball, then obviously he should be banned.

However, if he didn't bet on baseball, then the only problem here is that he was using an illegal bookie. That carries a minimum of a one year suspension under the CBA. With regards to the legal system, it's illegal to be a bookie, but not illegal to use one (although I'm not If he would still be guilty of wire fraud).

If it's scenario 2, he's 1.) incredibly naive and 2.) still guilty of violating the CBA and should be suspended.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneDougan
That thread is pretty nonsensical. Ohtani pitched 6 shutout innings that day before getting beat up in the 7th inning.

It seems to me one of three things happened.

1. Ohtani was placing bets through an illegal bookie through his interpreter Ippei.

2. Ippei racked up a huge debt and Ohtani covered it for him by wiring the illegal bookie millions of dollars.

3. Ippei somehow (through a power of attorney or something) accessed Ohtani's bank accounts and managed to make at least nine $500K payments without him noticing.

For me, scenario 1 seems the most likely and scenario 3 (the current official narrative) is way too far fetched for me to believe. If the first scenario is true, I've seen zero evidence thus far that he bet on baseball. If he bet on baseball, then obviously he should be banned.

However, if he didn't bet on baseball, then the only problem here is that he was using an illegal bookie. That carries a minimum of a one year suspension under the CBA. With regards to the legal system, it's illegal to be a bookie, but not illegal to use one (although I'm not If he would still be guilty of wire fraud).

If it's scenario 2, he's 1.) incredibly naive and 2.) still guilty of violating the CBA and should be suspended.
“This thread is nonsensical…” proceeds to come to the same conclusions this thread did days ago… 🤦‍♂️.

No matter which conclusion you pick, Ohtani is only guilty of helping a friend and will not be suspended any games as far as MLB is concerned.

Reactions: KY_Kid
“This thread is nonsensical…” proceeds to come to the same conclusions this thread did days ago… 🤦‍♂️.

No matter which conclusion you pick, Ohtani is only guilty of helping a friend and will not be suspended any games as far as MLB is concerned.
Sorry. I meant the Twitter thread which said he was throwing games, not this CatPaw one. I did say "that" thread not "this" thread. But I get the confusion. I'll edit for clarity.

I seldom mention what I do or who I am, but I'm pretty highly connected with one Major League organization (not the Dodgers though). That said, I text almost daily with the GM who is 100% plugged into what is going on. What is going to happen tomorrow is this... Ohtani - on his own - is going to step away for the game for at least a season and play basketball. It was his first love growing up as a kid, and his dad was always bummed he didn't go in that direction. He's going to sign with the Clippers, and he'll start out in the G-League. I would expect him to be back right before the playoffs the following year.

I seldom mention what I do or who I am, but I'm pretty highly connected with one Major League organization (not the Dodgers though). That said, I text almost daily with the GM who is 100% plugged into what is going on. What is going to happen tomorrow is this... Ohtani - on his own - is going to step away for the game for at least a season and play basketball. It was his first love growing up as a kid, and his dad was always bummed he didn't go in that direction. He's going to sign with the Clippers, and he'll start out in the G-League. I would expect him to be back right before the playoffs the following year.

Friends Tv GIF

Friends, how is it that bookies take millions (40 million!) in bets from a nobody interpreter? That anybody, even a millionaire, doesn’t have an accountant who would notice many millions (40 million!) going missing? And worst of all to me, that those in power could look you in the eye and tell you that everything is on the level?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT