ADVERTISEMENT

Sheppard's Defense

I don’t understand, if Reed played so bad why didn’t the MFWIC, the head mucky, muck, the big cheese let him play 45 minutes, he’s the only one who did. If he doesn’t play, or at most 10 minutes, we probably win going away.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Before we go on talking about Reed Shepherd's defense, is there really even a white guy on this earth that can play defense really? Lol there's not too many white guys true white guys playing in the NBA guarding
Point guards.
Is there anyone, regardless of race, that can stay in front of their man with the way offensive players are allowed to carry the ball, double dribble with the so called “hesitation” dribble, movement of the feet that was called for traveling in the past. There are very, very few. The issue is UK is just terrible at rotations and positioning. That is coaching.

Going back to Marcus Camby, Cal has relied on funneling his man to the shot blocker. Look at his great teams at UK. He had that. I think one year, maybe 16-17, he didn’t have that. The issue is UK still appears to funnel and has poor rotations.

Reed is given so much credit for his off the ball defense. He is guilty of ball watching and sagging so much his close outs are late resulting in the Hail Mary jumping at the shooter. I can only assume he still hasn’t adjusted to how quickly D1 guards can get their shot off.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Damn yall turning on Laurel County cuz he didnt play great defense. he is white! What the hell? Yall really thought he would be Tyler Ulis?
He does ok lots of times imo. Makes plays. Scores. Probably a great zone player I bet.
Well I aint turning on Laurel county!!!!

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Shepard is a freshman that leads the team in steals with almost 2 1/2 a game the next guy? DJ wagner at 1.1

And we are creating a thread about his defense? Most players cant defend one on one consistently.

Until Kentucky learns how to help, rotate, and recover it won't matter if we had Jordan.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Reeds D was pretty awful. I kept screaming at the tv he’s going left and before he could hear me the guy was gone left. Very poor time recoognition on that last play before they made the three. You cover the lines up and give them the layup if they want it. Don’t help off anyone.

Before we go on talking about Reed Shepherd's defense, is there really even a white guy on this earth that can play defense really? Lol there's not too many white guys true white guys playing in the NBA guarding
Point guards.
Don't see any black guys on this team that can play defense. This is not a b/w thing. Sheppard and Reeves are the best players on the team. Color has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: KFuqua and crestcat
Reeds D was pretty awful. I kept screaming at the tv he’s going left and before he could hear me the guy was gone left. Very poor time recoognition on that last play before they made the three. You cover the lines up and give them the layup if they want it. Don’t help off anyone.
It's COACHING!!! People need to lay the blame where it belongs.

Calling it "some defensive shortcomings" is being very generous. I like him but let's call it what it is because he gave up at least 5-6 wide open 3's by leaving his man and he does it every game. This many games into the season he either isn't being coached to stay with his man or just not listening.
Defense is clearly a weakness.

It's COACHING!!! People need to lay the blame where it belongs.
You would think ccc would have learned from giving away a ncaa title at Memphis because he let Kansas tie the game with a 3 point shot. You would think that would haunt him, but I guess he is too ignorant

Reactions: crestcat
If uk had a coach with a brain and had shep receive the inbounds pass instead of making the inbounds pass uk wins. If uk had a coach that called time after Dillingham made the 1st free throw and told them what to do uk wins
That's a nice hope, but it's no way guaranteed Shep makes them. He just as likely misses, turns it over or can't get open to get the pass.

Wait, so you're saying Reed is dumb enough that he needs his coach to call a TO and remind him to guard a 3pt shooter late in the game when they are down 3? 🤣

That's a nice hope, but it's no way guaranteed Shep makes them. He just as likely misses, turns it over or can't get open to get the pass.

Wait, so you're saying Reed is dumb enough that he needs his coach to call a TO and remind him to guard a 3pt shooter late in the game when they are down 3? 🤣
"He just as likely misses" you morons are so precious. 87% and he likely misses, right.

• Haha
Reactions: Ron Swanson
"He just as likely misses" you morons are so precious. 87% and he likely misses, right.
In what world is Sheppard an 87% FT shooter? Try 80%, Rob is 76%. However, in conference play, those numbers are reversed.

But yes, tell the people that actually know how to read that they are the morons, that will really help you! 🤣

Reed was 6/6 at Florida in the final minute and we needed every one of them
Reed was 2/2 with less than 1 second left at A&M down 2

You guys are nuts we want Reed at the line (or Reeves) they are not taking bunny hops on their FT's.

Reed missed 1 FT on purpose as well last night when we were down 3 with 2 seconds left I guess he should made that so his % could been higher...........

Reactions: KFuqua
Reed is 82.2% on the year from the line (37/45) if you take away his on purpose miss.
Also has been extra clutch in crunch time. What is his % in the final minute ?

Go back and watch Mitchell’s D. Didn’t even try on many plays. It’s an issue.
I have noticed this the last few games.

I will admit though there was 1 play where I had literally just commented about his lack of effort and he then sealed off the baseline drive and forced a Florida turnover. I laughed and said I guess I need to bitch about him more if that’s all it takes.

Clayton said the two keys for his success against us is Pulin attracting a lot of attention because we have nobody that can stay in front of him and second our guards always go for their shot fakes.

First of all on that last play, a coach worth a dime, wouldve called the timeout after Dillinghams first free throw to set up a play. Fouling obviously was the right play to make, but if your not going to foul, why wouldnt you make it clear to all 5 guys to play outside the 3 point line and faceguard their man so he couldnt get the pass or get a wide open three. We had guys guarding guys down low in the paint?? Why? Let them back door you from up top or have an uncontested 2 obviously; then game over! That again falls to coaching!!!!

Reactions: crestcat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT