ADVERTISEMENT

Chaz Lanier

I will hold my judgement on Pope ability to recruit and produce results after 2-3 years. This year does not count. He was not here to recruit players out of high school and we are on April 24 and he doesn’t have his full coaching team finalized. This year is going to be patching job, building with whatever we can get from portal.

If we would have kept Reed would have speed up the process. Great players attract other great and good players.

Next year, Pope and his assistants team will be able to recruit in full mode. Let’s see what they can bring. If they can land some big names and have good results next year in the tournament , more money will flow in, and more recruits will follow.

Also next year he will be able to address the scheduling and start building the program. It will take time…

What’s funny is I have a couple posters in this thread on ignore for literally like 3 or more years (track 42 is one of them) and I can’t see their posts but I see people arguing with them which makes me realize they actually are trolls. People that are overly negative right now are trolls (he just finished putting together a staff THIS MORNING 😂) so you’re better off putting them on ignore. Trust me.

That doesn't even make sense.He was talking big and needs to back it up which applies to any coach.He has to win.
He wasn't "talking big". You're projecting. What he says is exactly how he feels, and what he knows UK is capable of. That said, he also knows that is a COMPLETE REBUILD, meaning that it will take time. Money is an issue now in college basketball, and UK isn't going to throw inifinte dollars out there nor should they. Pope wasn't going to tell everyone at the press conference "this is going to take time", because then you'd like go off on a tangent about how he sucks, is just lazy and shouldn't have been coach. Be realistic, and show some gratitude, instead of this "better back it up".

Could be regarding Mahaney. Don't write him off-he's taking his OV's quickly which usually means a decision won't be far behind and he did pick UK as a program to visit after being in "others considered" a few days ago.

UConn had a massive head start on McNeely (he was literally the only HS guy they were recruiting after signing Nowell/Abraham in Fall) and Brea they have relationship with since HS-so they aren't just talking to him because they liked what he did at Dayton.

All I'm asking for is as much info and being prepared as possible and the staff is doing a great job right now. They just hired 2 great recruiters to go with a guy we all are excited is coming with Pope from BYU in Fueger. Once you have staff in place, you have more voices/connections who can contact different people and sell the program in a unified vision.
Abraham same position and only a sophomore. Why is McNeeley so hyped? We have 0 at the three position.

It’s looking like Kentucky will try with Lanier, so that’s good news. If I were pope I would be getting on the phone with Jalen Blackmon and telling him he is one of the guards this year

The people who are having so many issues are people that have no idea how a process like this works, and definitely do not understand business
Negotiations. They’re outing themselves big time.

Our NIL is top, our staff is top, our brand is top…

We’ve already landed extremely good pieces but we aren’t going to throw insane money away for no reason. We want players that want to play for the brand and we will get them, and they will make great money, and they will actually be paid, and the agents won’t dictate it.

If you cannot handle how this is going quit making a fool of yourself and back off. It appears over zealous gas station employees are forming opinions again, and it makes everyone look bad. Definitely not trying to come off mean but they couldn’t be more obvious that they’re clueless how real business operates.

Abraham same position and only a sophomore. Why is McNeeley so hyped? We have 0 at the three position.
Abraham is an incoming FR who played at Paul VI this past year. He and former UK PG target Ahmad Nowell are their only 2 signees right now. Abraham is vastly underrated from my POV and loved what I saw of him at Chipotle Nationals on a very good team with Duke's Darren Harris/Patrick Ngongba, along with Ben Hammond who just asked out of his LOI with Rhode Island and is very good prospect and 6'4 power guard/wing Jordan Smith who is a Sophomore. Found myself loving Abraham watching him play.

McNeely is seen as a well rounded guy who is an elite shooter. He was on a great team as well as you know at Montverde and was fine with his role. My guess and it's only a guess is they see him as a taller version of Cam Spencer.

UConn also has a big team-they like interchangeable/positionless guys and their advantage IMO is when you switch defensively--each guy they have handle the ball is capable of attacking/creating/finishing/shooting. They kill you on switches. Each guy can attack the glass/invert as well as they posted a lot with Castle/Newton/Spencer and Jackson the year before.

So big perimeter players around skilled big men--and they load up on them. But I'd be lying if I told you I know what they are thinking regarding their recruits other than buy in because you can't function in a winning environment without demanding buy in to team goals/concepts so I'm going to guess and this is only a guess-they evaluate mindset of the recruit and that means more to them in evaluations then numbers.

Could be regarding Mahaney. Don't write him off-he's taking his OV's quickly which usually means a decision won't be far behind and he did pick UK as a program to visit after being in "others considered" a few days ago.

UConn had a massive head start on McNeely (he was literally the only HS guy they were recruiting after signing Nowell/Abraham in Fall) and Brea they have relationship with since HS-so they aren't just talking to him because they liked what he did at Dayton.

All I'm asking for is as much info and being prepared as possible and the staff is doing a great job right now. They just hired 2 great recruiters to go with a guy we all are excited is coming with Pope from BYU in Fueger. Once you have staff in place, you have more voices/connections who can contact different people and sell the program in a unified vision.
First you build the foundation before building the house. If you get anxious quickly and construct an in adequate foundation, because you are in a hurry to get the house built, it will come back to haunt you. I think that translates perfectly to what the Pope is doing and I like it myself.

Abraham is an incoming FR who played at Paul VI this past year. He and former UK PG target Ahmad Nowell are their only 2 signees right now. Abraham is vastly underrated from my POV and loved what I saw of him at Chipotle Nationals on a very good team with Duke's Darren Harris/Patrick Ngongba, along with Ben Hammond who just asked out of his LOI with Rhode Island and is very good prospect and 6'4 power guard/wing Jordan Smith who is a Sophomore. Found myself loving Abraham watching him play.

McNeely is seen as a well rounded guy who is an elite shooter. He was on a great team as well as you know at Montverde and was fine with his role. My guess and it's only a guess is they see him as a taller version of Cam Spencer.

UConn also has a big team-they like interchangeable/positionless guys and their advantage IMO is when you switch defensively--each guy they have handle the ball is capable of attacking/creating/finishing/shooting. They kill you on switches. Each guy can attack the glass/invert as well as they posted a lot with Castle/Newton/Spencer and Jackson the year before.

So big perimeter players around skilled big men--and they load up on them. But I'd be lying if I told you I know what they are thinking regarding their recruits other than buy in because you can't function in a winning environment without demanding buy in to team goals/concepts so I'm going to guess and this is only a guess-they evaluate mindset of the recruit and that means more to them in evaluations then numbers.
UConn fans seem convinced they are getting Mahaney and brea. That’s kinda of scary because they become the co-favorites to win it all again. I still think brea is whoever drops the biggest bag, and Mahaney on popes offense would be really good. I also really like the Lanier guy, I know Tennessee is the perceived favorite but Kentucky should try, as should they with Jalen Blackmon

Better to hear the truth, be prepared for a scenario than to hope/wish and then get suckered in by numerous inaccurate media guys right now.

I'm biased by I am a huge fan of Collin Chandler and reading what Pope said--I get that 100%. Amari Williams is fantastic get by the program. Keeping Perry--love it. If they add other BYU kid soon who was happy in his role and contributed--nice core to start. Now.....you need to stack up more and they are setting up OV's and working on it-but several names are very good players and would make this a damn good team.

The part we have to channel our thinking away from Cal era is "team building". Not stacking roster with best players......stacking roster with best FIT of players. Kentucky never settles for a roster of bad players. No school at their level does-but it's about FIT. So you have a Big....some talented shooting around him--now you need a PG, more firepower and some size/skill upfront. Obosor is visiting....great player. They are in deep for the WF kid Carr-who is talented. Still hearing great things about Jaxson Robinson who was Big XII 6th man of the YR. There will be more announcements in the next week to add/finalize the pool of Portal guys-and Grad Transfers.

Within some roster movement/additions for programs-some others will ask out of their situation and you add a few more options.

Think the staff UK has--make sure you have 7/8 guys set going into that NBA Combine time-where you can fly to watch/evaluate/recruit the last big fish in the Portal who will return to CBB. This staff has deep connections and can get things done and who better to have great access to the NBA/G-League then Jason Hart?
Well said Ralph. People just need to be patient. The portal has plenty of quality. We will be fine and our roster will be full.
We don't know who else may enter the portal before the deadline so no use in overspending for one player today when a better fit becomes available tomorrow.
If a player fits what Pope wants and it's a decent price on NIL then we will contact and give our sales pitch.
We are going to be fine, patience is a must right now

That KSR guy said Kentucky is still in contact with pop Issac’s
Understand that his people are connected deep in the West Coast but stay the **** away from that circus. Again, I never pinned my take on the civil case and what was allegedly to have happened. There's numerous other reasons to not want anything to do with Pop Isaacs.

We re dropping off the map. We have a wide open roster and can’t land anyone.
No doubt, the UK program is over. But I urge you to avoid self-harm. Don't exacerbate your trauma by hanging around message boards. Celebrate the end of the world in front of the TV. And as far as those 2 recruiters, Brooks and Hart, are concerned, we need to fire them. They had their chance. And who was the idiot that wasted valuable recruiting time recruiting them? Fire that guy, too.

No he is most likely going to Tennessee and he has a no contact tag. This has been rumored since halfway through last season.
I just posted that above your reply to this, Lanier would have been a good get, but Kentucky is gonna have to eventually get some guards in here

Better to hear the truth, be prepared for a scenario than to hope/wish and then get suckered in by numerous inaccurate media guys right now.

I'm biased by I am a huge fan of Collin Chandler and reading what Pope said--I get that 100%. Amari Williams is fantastic get by the program. Keeping Perry--love it. If they add other BYU kid soon who was happy in his role and contributed--nice core to start. Now.....you need to stack up more and they are setting up OV's and working on it-but several names are very good players and would make this a damn good team.

The part we have to channel our thinking away from Cal era is "team building". Not stacking roster with best players......stacking roster with best FIT of players. Kentucky never settles for a roster of bad players. No school at their level does-but it's about FIT. So you have a Big....some talented shooting around him--now you need a PG, more firepower and some size/skill upfront. Obosor is visiting....great player. They are in deep for the WF kid Carr-who is talented. Still hearing great things about Jaxson Robinson who was Big XII 6th man of the YR. There will be more announcements in the next week to add/finalize the pool of Portal guys-and Grad Transfers.

Within some roster movement/additions for programs-some others will ask out of their situation and you add a few more options.

Think the staff UK has--make sure you have 7/8 guys set going into that NBA Combine time-where you can fly to watch/evaluate/recruit the last big fish in the Portal who will return to CBB. This staff has deep connections and can get things done and who better to have great access to the NBA/G-League then Jason Hart?
Chess moves!!!

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Well said Ralph. People just need to be patient. The portal has plenty of quality. We will be fine and our roster will be full.
We don't know who else may enter the portal before the deadline so no use in overspending for one player today when a better fit becomes available tomorrow.
If a player fits what Pope wants and it's a decent price on NIL then we will contact and give our sales pitch.
We are going to be fine, patience is a must right now
I like what you said, as well as what @ralphdaltonfan said. UK fans are obviously not known for their ability to be PATIENT. I for one, am really excited for the new UK Men's Basketball Team, coaches, players, etc. I just think the lack of patience comes from all that we have had to endure the past several years. We lost a little bit each year and it grew year by year. Deep down, I think most of us realize it will take time to build the program back up to where it should be. That is where the CONFLICT is...between our HEART (loving what the program represents and wanting the greatness back), and our HEAD (knowing it may take some time to get it done). I know we can do it!!

GO BIG BLUE, AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙

It's worse than you think. UK won't win 3 games this year. Spare yourself and avoid all contact with anything related to UK, including message boards and TV broadcasts.
Here is another troll. Are u a Cal family member? Please leave this board.

I like what you said, as well as what @ralphdaltonfan said. UK fans are obviously not known for their ability to be PATIENT. I for one, am really excited for the new UK Men's Basketball Team, coaches, players, etc. I just think the lack of patience comes from all that we have had to endure the past several years. We lost a little bit each year and it grew year by year. Deep down, I think most of us realize it will take time to build the program back up to where it should be. That is where the CONFLICT is...between our HEART (loving what the program represents and wanting the greatness back), and our HEAD (knowing it may take some time to get it done). I know we can do it!!

GO BIG BLUE, AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙
I agree 100 percent. I'm guilty of not being patient enough at times but right now Pope and the staff are working their ass off to find the right fits.
I think when it's all said and done BBN is going to feel good about the roster and the upcoming season.
We are going to be fine.

GO BIG BLUE, AND
COACH POPE, TOO!!!💙💙💙
Susan I feel the same way but I’m trying to look at the potential bumps along the road early on as UK’s “Rocky” moment. We might get knocked around but even in defeat we’re going to be getting back to what UK basketball is about. I’m more excited than I’ve been in 9 years about UK basketball.

But it wouldn’t surprise me if next year’s team is shockingly good. A lot of different possibilities but the future is bright.

• Love
Reactions: susan2361
Outstanding player.
I would fully expect he lands at UT w a BIG NIL.
As others have alluded too, this was going that way before Pope was even a candidate.

Last edited:
If that’s true, then it’s a clear tampering violation. It’s illegal to even talk to other school’s players who haven’t entered the portal.

But, hey, who cares about rules nowadays…
There are no rules and if don't think schools are tampering through different channels then I have some beach front property to sell you in Kansas.

Susan I feel the same way but I’m trying to look at the potential bumps along the road early on as UK’s “Rocky” moment. We might get knocked around but even in defeat we’re going to be getting back to what UK basketball is about. I’m more excited than I’ve been in 9 years about UK basketball.

But it wouldn’t surprise me if next year’s team is shockingly good. A lot of different possibilities but the future is bright.
I like the way you think!!💙😁

I agree 100 percent. I'm guilty of not being patient enough at times but right now Pope and the staff are working their ass off to find the right fits.
I think when it's all said and done BBN is going to feel good about the roster and the upcoming season.
We are going to be fine.
I agree. I think he hasn't got more than a few hours sleep since he's been here!!😀 I haven't been used to that for a while!🤣 I'm already getting pumped for the start of the season.💙💙💙

Reactions: Catfan2226
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT