ADVERTISEMENT

Shepherd

Jan 29, 2020
Was he exposed? Will his draft stock take a hit? He’s a freshman so I understand he had a bad game. A lot of people had him going top 5 in the draft. Another year at UK or is he still gone?

Was he exposed? Will his draft stock take a hit? He’s a freshman so I understand he had a bad game. A lot of people had him going top 5 in the draft. Another year at UK or is he still gone?
Whether Sheppard is gone depends on Sheppard's perspective on life. If he goes, he would still be a high first rounder. Everyone knows Sheppard was misused. Most of our players are misused. The excuses have worn so thin. No, Sheppard was not exposed. Cal was exposed. Again. Cal's irrational use of his personnel, his failure to study the opponent seriously, his failure to prepare his team, his failure to make sound in game decisions are recurring signs of an aging, idiosyncratic coach who lost his focus. Cal was stubbornly determined to make a lottery pick out of DJ Wagner and he never recognized Wagner's limitations. Cal scouts players the same way a lot of our fans do.

I'm not drafting him as a team that's trying to rebuild in the top10 or so. He's just not a #1 or #2 piece at the moment. Speaking purely as an NBA fan whose team (Houston) has routinely drafted in this range. Sheps not ready for the NBA.

Fire cal and bring back RP for a 5 year run. He ll teach reed some defense. Don’t you think if Cals gone reed stays and Jeff has input on the next coach???
"We have the best coach in the world. We have the best coaching staff in the world. "

That's an exact quote from Reed Sheppard. I don't think he or his family have the same problems with Coach Cal as the fanbase does.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and UKgal82
I’m sorry but legit top 10 picks don’t just disappear with your season on the line like he did last night. It’s understandable: he’s a freshman and probably had the weight of the world on his shoulders but if he can’t handle that, he’s not ready to be a lottery pick. Maybe he’ll grow into it over the first year or two in the pros but if you ignore the money side (which is ridiculous and wouldn’t happen), coming back would be better for his development IMO

Shep would be insane to comeback. this is as high as his draft stock will ever be.

Eh I don't agree with this.

Shep showed that he is still far too inexperienced to handle the big stage.

Maybe this is my Homer take.. but I think Shep might be the perfect type of player to come back. All he needs, really, is confidence and reps. The skill is there, but the NBA will eat him alive right now.

Historically weak draft will cause him to go pro. He’s not ready but a bunch aren’t and they still leave.

Love him, and I've said it well before last night's performance, but Reed simply isn't ready. However, money talks and it will likely supersede any other factors.

I can’t imagine the pressure these kids go through to do this. Once the post season started I think the weight of it all crushed Reed. He didn’t suddenly become less talented afterall. The mental side of this just as important as the physical. He will go down as one of my favorite cats. I really wanted more for him this season.

I don’t think Reed has a high ceiling. He may have outperformed expectations but how much better can he get? Can a 20yo get quicker? After the postseason there is certainly room for growth in the maturity area, but physically I don’t see much more he can gain. He’s an average athlete with exceptional hand-eye coordination, who has the markings of being coached well his entire life, trained in the weight room, and most likely close to maxed out on his physical attributes.

Whether Sheppard is gone depends on Sheppard's perspective on life. If he goes, he would still be a high first rounder. Everyone knows Sheppard was misused. Most of our players are misused. The excuses have worn so thin. No, Sheppard was not exposed. Cal was exposed. Again. Cal's irrational use of his personnel, his failure to study the opponent seriously, his failure to prepare his team, his failure to make sound in game decisions are recurring signs of an aging, idiosyncratic coach who lost his focus. Cal was stubbornly determined to make a lottery pick out of DJ Wagner and he never recognized Wagner's limitations. Cal scouts players the same way a lot of our fans do.
Great post, so true

Frankly, I don't want him to play another minute under this coach. Recall early in the season during a post game press conference, this genius coach of ours referring to him as "that player you all like". Reed wouldn't be here now if it were completely up to JVC. I think it burned JVC's ass that he excelled and couldn't be buried on the bench like the kid from Pendleton Co.. I'd love to know what went on behind the scenes to even get him here.

As much as Cal needs to be gone, RP is certainly not the answer.
RP is the ONE coach named on the board that I would keep Cal over. And I’m now ready to ditch Cal and take Pearl! I really don’t have many positive things to say about Cal, but RP ran a prostitution ring at UofL dealing minors to minors. He didn’t just pay recruits to go there, it was a lot worse.

The man literally fled the country to coach in Greece because the FBI were on his tail.

Reactions: KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT