ADVERTISEMENT

Shannon "The Dude" asks Mitch about the Checkerboard Uniforms

Why is Mitch so damn defensive about this?
Because he knows they suck, it was his idea, and it is yet another example of mediocre thinking. That's best case scenario.

Worst case: he took a kick-back from somebody associated with the Chenery family to beat the dead horse Secretariat by the endless reminders that these are the racing silk colors of Meadow Stables -- which is in Virginia, by the way.

Last edited:
Secretariat was born at Meadow Stables in Caroline County, Virginia. The blue-and-white checkerboard silks that is at the heart of the argument belong to Meadow Stables. So we are paying tribute to a Virginia born horse with a Virginia stable's colors. So he won a race in Kentucky. How does this justify our uniform tribute? This still doesn't make sense to me.

Worst case: he took a kick-back from somebody associated with the Chenery family to beat the dead horse Secretariat by the endless reminders that these are the racing silk colors of Meadow Stable -- which is in Virginia, by the way.

I'm usually not a conspiracy theorist but this isn't an awful speculation.

Why is Mitch so damn defensive about this?

Because, as I understand, the whole checkerboard theme was Mitch's baby from the beginning. Problem is he didn't bother to ask the fans for their opinion, and as it turns out, the fans hate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Blue in 502
What is Mitch's email
We all need to email him and tell him the Checker uniforms suck
Half of us don't give two craps about what the uniforms look like. If they're uncomfortable then the players might have something. If they're just worried about how they look they need to shut the hell up and work on their defense. Some of you people that cry about the uniforms are probably the same ones that say we don't hang banners for draft picks. Yet all of a sudden what the uniforms look like is all important because a couple freshmen bitched about them. Freshman by the way that probably had the dumbest looking hair I've seen on any Kentucky players since the 70s

Half of us don't give two craps about what the uniforms look like. If they're uncomfortable then the players might have something. If they're just worried about how they look they need to shut the hell up and work on their defense. Some of you people that cry about the uniforms are probably the same ones that say we don't hang banners for draft picks. Yet all of a sudden what the uniforms look like is all important because a couple freshmen bitched about them. Freshman by the way that probably had the dumbest looking hair I've seen on any Kentucky players since the 70s

I think your passion towards the haters of the jerseys exceeds those that actually hate the jerseys

I can't believe there are so many fashion divas constantly worked about about the uniforms. I never would have noticed the checkerboard if people weren't always yammering on about it.
I don't care even a little about the uniform nuances, but it is funny how much Mitch hates this topic.

I think Mitch and I may be the only UK fans on Earth who thinks the checkerboard are the best uniforms we've had since Rondo was here.

It got really uncomfortable a while back on a show where MJ was asking MB about the uniforms.

Thanks you for your most civil response yet regarding this matter Mitch, although the players would be disappointed to hear your perspective on their hair.

Are we really paying tribute to Secretariat per se? I always assumed it was a combination of two things. Horse racing in general, not specifically Secretariat, and the fact that we used the checkerboard in our end zones in the 1930s, before anyone else was using it. In other words, it brings us back to an old tradition that we were the first to use and at the same time it also reflected the state's horse racing tradition. People clamor for UK to honor what little football tradition it has. The checkerboard does that because it was something that originated with us.

Are we really paying tribute to Secretariat per se? I always assumed it was a combination of two things. Horse racing in general, not specifically Secretariat, and the fact that we used the checkerboard in our end zones in the 1930s, before anyone else was using it. In other words, it brings us back to an old tradition that we were the first to use and at the same time it also reflected the state's horse racing tradition. People clamor for UK to honor what little football tradition it has. The checkerboard does that because it was something that originated with us.

I think the biggest issue is that we went away from it so the only ones remembered for it is UT because they still use it and now we look like the copycats.

Secretariat was born at Meadow Stables in Caroline County, Virginia. The blue-and-white checkerboard silks that is at the heart of the argument belong to Meadow Stables. So we are paying tribute to a Virginia born horse with a Virginia stable's colors. So he won a race in Kentucky. How does this justify our uniform tribute? This still doesn't make sense to me.
Thank you. I've always been one of the fence riders on the checkerboard. But now knowing the history of it I'm out.
That's a lot better argument to me than "I just don't like them" because to be honest I've never watch a game and noticed them much to where I couldn't watch it haha

Reactions: awf and Bigblueduck
I think the biggest issue is that we went away from it so the only ones remembered for it is UT because they still use it and now we look like the copycats.
I guess I just don't care what other fan bases think about it. I know we started the checkerboard design and the current uniforms and end zone design are a tribute to UK's football heritage and horse racing so what other fan bases think are not important to me. If we let other fans dictate what we can and cannot do, then we will not have any traditions of our own. It's why we don't have a statue of the greatest football coach we have ever had. I'm not fond of letting other people dictate what we can and cannot do.

UK usually changes uniforms every 2-3 years anyways so it is about time for some new ones. I like the ‘78 or ‘92 classic look myself. Bama and Georgia never change their football uniforms so maybe UK should consider that in basketball with a more classic style.

Like it or not, UK is a brand and it's goal is to attract people and players to that brand. While I'm not stupid enough to believe any player hasn't come to UK because of the uniforms, enough have spoken out that you would think Mitch would change it. There's an old saying "You look good, you feel good, you play good." It's a simple change so you would think Mitch would just change it. I'm not the Mitch hater like so many on here but things like this is where his lack of PR really shines through. No matter the cause, from uniforms, or Commonwealth's remodel, he always plays the hand of it's Mitch's way or the Highway. No matter what the decision is, someone will be upset, I'll agree with him there but listen to the majority of the players and the fans.

Also freshmen who wore pink and orange shoes with said uniform.

It's clear the Mitch has dug his heels in on this one. And it's a shame he has. The uniforms look clownish and nobody gets the Secretariat reference but Mitch. I wish we would do away with the silliness but I'll settle for a compromise. Keep the checkerboard but deemphasize by making them alternate shades of the same color. Blue on Blue checkerboard and white on white which is how the sidelines on the court and the endzones are done anyway. If he would at least make it look like the end zones on the field look I believe this would go away.

Did he say anything about bringing back the Power K?

I don't have too much problem with the checkerboard pattern (would prefer it to be a little less prominent). My issue with the current uniform is that they simply look cheap and dated. The traditional tank top shoulder instead of the wider cap sleeved shoulder makes the uniform look like something ordered out of a throwback 1970's Nike high school stock uniform catalog. The women's team uniforms look 1000x better than the men's uniforms, IMO...

UKwomenMeetCats

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT