ADVERTISEMENT

Shannon "The Dude" asks Mitch about the Checkerboard Uniforms

Only issue I have ever had with uniforms was the thread that was unraveling on Julius Randles uni few years back. What, we can't fix that for the guy? I mean, it was there game after game after game. I believe it was messing with his game. Geez.

Reactions: UKGrad93
I wish Adolph Rupp was alive today so he could answer the questions about uniforms. I bet he would have had an interesting answer.
If you go back through his career you see very little change in the Kentucky basketball uniform. They were plain Kentucky blue and white with a belt on the shorts. KENTUCKY was curved across the chest and not straight lined. They were uniform and even every player wore the same shoes. They were like Penn State and Alabama football in that the uniform reflected respect and a winning tradition. They did not change with the fads of the times. In short they were beautiful and players were proud to wear them. Now everybody wants to do their own thing and each player has his own flashy shoes. I can see the day some player refuses to wear his jersey and comes out with his own thing.

Dug his heels in on this one! When doesn't he dig in his heels. On the other hand they beat the hell outta the denims. What Barney should have said was, "I really don't give a rats ass how the uniforms look as long as we win. Next question."

I wish we would go back to the jerseys we switched to in the middle of Cal's first year through the 2012 season. Loved those.

The uniforms aren't that bad, I'm sure in time they will get new ones. They do represent winning and champions, you can't please everybody. I know the players are the ones wearing them but if you are only going to be here for one year, maybe you shouldn't complain about the uniforms because you won't be here the next and it doesn't matter anyway.

Mitch just needs to tweak his design a little; make the checkers 6-8 inches front and back and they'll look just like the ones the jockeys wear at the Kentucky Derby!

I wonder if other fanbases whine and cry about uniforms and football fields with corporate sponsors name on them? It seems as though we crave reasons to whine and cry.
That's kind of where I am. Who cares, really? Nothing could be worse than those denim eyesores from the 90s. We survived.....That said, Barnhart needs to be more mindful of what his fan base wants - although this is pretty clearly not about that, it's about something between he and KSR.

Also freshmen who wore pink and orange shoes with said uniform.
Get your head out of the sand ! You do understand that Mitch is getting kickbacks from the Willy Wonka candy company, which isn't even based in Kentucky. And who owns Willy Wonka? Nestle of course, who also produces bottled water. Ever notice how much bottled water Mitch drinks ? He's probably getting it free by the case in some back alley meetings.

Shannon: “A lot of people have expressed concerns not liking the checkerboard uniforms. So, are the checkerboards here to stay or are they here for another year? What’s the future?”

Barnhart: “I really find it fascinating that people get fired up about uniforms. We were just talking about this off air. It’s so interesting to me. As we talk to our players — if I asked our football team what uniforms they want to wear, they want to wear the platinum ones and the black ones, and the minute we put those on, I get 84,000 emails about, ‘Don’t wear black and platinum.’ I got one guy that writes me an email — when we go on the road, we wear white uniforms, which is by rule, we have to wear the white uniform. He says, ‘You’ve worn white. You’re already surrendering before you’ve ever taken the field.’ I said, ‘That’s great, buddy. I really appreciate you understanding the rules of college football.’ That’s the mindset of what I deal with.”

Shannon: “Is it a deal with Nike, Mitch?”

Barnhart: “Hey Shannon, are you going to talk over the top of me and keep going or do I get to answer what I want to? How about you be quiet and I’ll talk?”

Shannon: “I’m just asking you a question. All I’m asking –”

Barnhart: “If you stop long enough, I’ll answer it.”

Shannon: “Okay, go. You’ve got 30 seconds.”

Barnhart: “Oh, I’m on the clock?”

Shannon: “Well, the show’s over now.”

Barnhart: “I’m going to run out of time and can’t answer it the way I want to. I like our kids. We have a lot of our kids that like it. Frankly, we do have a deal with Nike and they came to us with some stuff from the silks of Secretariat. When we first started this, it wasn’t a checkerboard thing, it was the silks of Secretariat and that’s how we’ve honored it. A lot of our kids like it and we give each sport the opportunity to design their own uniforms, so that’s where we are. Thanks, Shannon, for the time.”

:joy:

I assume that is exaggerated? It is hilarious.

The fact Mitch wasn't fired when we canned Billy is unbelievable. He can't even handle uniforms. He paid many thousands of dollars for someone to design a new H/K. The man has got to go.

I had a couple minutes at lunch, so to amuse myself I actually sent Mitch an email. Here's the gist:

"I don’t normally send emails to college administrators on somewhat trivial matters, but I’m making an exception in the hopes that my tiny voice will add to the avalanche of opposition to the hideous Kentucky basketball “checkerboard” uniforms and help provoke you to make a change in November.

Many in my circle of family and friends are Kentucky graduates. They are unanimous in finding the checkerboard uniforms the worst since the 1994 Cat Scratch abominations, and among the worst ever. And please stop defending them on the basis that they remind people of the horse racing heritage of Kentucky. The blue-and-white checkerboard is the racing silk colors of Meadow Stables –in Virginia. Every serious horse racing fan and most Kentuckians know this.

What virtually every fan I have ever talked with prefers is the simple, elegant look seen several times in recent memory – 1998, 2003, and especially the 2005 throwbacks are good examples. The Kentucky basketball uniform is one of the most iconic brands in college sports. Please restore it to the dignified status it deserves. "

Get your head out of the sand ! You do understand that Mitch is getting kickbacks from the Willy Wonka candy company, which isn't even based in Kentucky. And who owns Willy Wonka? Nestle of course, who also produces bottled water. Ever notice how much bottled water Mitch drinks ? He's probably getting it free by the case in some back alley meetings.
Ha!

Shannon: “A lot of people have expressed concerns not liking the checkerboard uniforms. So, are the checkerboards here to stay or are they here for another year? What’s the future?”

Barnhart: “I really find it fascinating that people get fired up about uniforms. We were just talking about this off air. It’s so interesting to me. As we talk to our players — if I asked our football team what uniforms they want to wear, they want to wear the platinum ones and the black ones, and the minute we put those on, I get 84,000 emails about, ‘Don’t wear black and platinum.’ I got one guy that writes me an email — when we go on the road, we wear white uniforms, which is by rule, we have to wear the white uniform. He says, ‘You’ve worn white. You’re already surrendering before you’ve ever taken the field.’ I said, ‘That’s great, buddy. I really appreciate you understanding the rules of college football.’ That’s the mindset of what I deal with.”

Shannon: “Is it a deal with Nike, Mitch?”

Barnhart: “Hey Shannon, are you going to talk over the top of me and keep going or do I get to answer what I want to? How about you be quiet and I’ll talk?”

Shannon: “I’m just asking you a question. All I’m asking –”

Barnhart: “If you stop long enough, I’ll answer it.”

Shannon: “Okay, go. You’ve got 30 seconds.”

Barnhart: “Oh, I’m on the clock?”

Shannon: “Well, the show’s over now.”

Barnhart: “I’m going to run out of time and can’t answer it the way I want to. I like our kids. We have a lot of our kids that like it. Frankly, we do have a deal with Nike and they came to us with some stuff from the silks of Secretariat. When we first started this, it wasn’t a checkerboard thing, it was the silks of Secretariat and that’s how we’ve honored it. A lot of our kids like it and we give each sport the opportunity to design their own uniforms, so that’s where we are. Thanks, Shannon, for the time.”

:joy:

I assume that is exaggerated? It is hilarious.

The fact Mitch wasn't fired when we canned Billy is unbelievable. He can't even handle uniforms. He paid many thousands of dollars for someone to design a new H/K. The man has got to go.
Lol, the 'necks are still mad he said microwave society. Find them poor sorry saps a safe space.

I have lived in this state for over 30 years and know less than five people who follow horse racing. None of them are African-American. Part of what Cal has done in his time here is work to make UK the cool school to go to. That's part of the recruiting game. The "My Ole Kentucky Home" way of thinking in relation to basketball is just as outdated and lame as Indiana and their candy stripe warmups.

When the uniforms win a game for us let me know. :) But honestly I would want the players to like them first, and then the fans.

Reactions: awf
Why is Mitch so damn defensive about this?
man-saying-dont-tell-me-what-i-cant-do.gif

Here is the reason:

It's clear the Mitch has dug his heels in on this one. And it's a shame he has. The uniforms look clownish and nobody gets the Secretariat reference but Mitch. I wish we would do away with the silliness but I'll settle for a compromise. Keep the checkerboard but deemphasize by making them alternate shades of the same color. Blue on Blue checkerboard and white on white which is how the sidelines on the court and the endzones are done anyway. If he would at least make it look like the end zones on the field look I believe this would go away.
No compromise, it is NOT what MB wants it is the ones from where the funds flow!

I've examined my life and concluded I'm doing fine. I always have a few minutes to needle Mitch -- whether he reads my email or not.
Unlike some, I don't feel the man who made the imbecilic decision to hire Billy Clyde Gillispie to run the most prestigious basketball program of all time, and gave Joker Phillips "coach in waiting" status is above being held accountable by we mere alums and parents of alums who underwrite his salary.

With all due respect, he doesn't work for you. He isn't your state representative. His salary is paid for by the most successful athletics department in all of Division 1, not through your alumni donations or tuition.

He's also the same guy who hired John Calipari, Nick Mingione, Rick Floreal, Mark Stoops, Rachel Lawson, Matthew Mitchell, Harry Mullins....you know, all those coaches that got UK its highest ever Directors Cup finishes.

But yeah, let's keep bitching about coaches who were fired 11 years ago and uniforms we don't like.

https://uknow.uky.edu/professional-...barnhart-chosen-athletics-director-year-award

Barnhart Chosen for Athletics Director of the Year Award

He's made some blunders, for sure - Clyde, the microwave society comments, etc. He's also the best AD Kentucky has had, and by a good mile, although admittedly that bar is low. If nothing else, look at his "coaching tree" - Oregon, Arizona, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi State (twice), Maryland, Minnesota - that's off the top of my head. Some of the biggest brand name athletic programs in the country have hired Barnhart proteges, which has to mean something.

My point - he's not the best AD in the country, but neither is he a bumpkin who can't find his butt with either hand. I suppose given the nature of this board and the nature of discourse in America in 2018 I shouldn't be surprised that for posters on this forum it's one or the other......

I am pretty sure many of you on here would absolutely slobber all over yourselves telling us how much you love the uniforms if you thought Mitch hated them. Of all the idiotic things to display your Mitch Derangement Syndrome over....this one takes the cake.

As for me...I like them. I don't like the K-State look logo. If that was MB's idea...I dont like that. There, does that make me have street cred.

I've examined my life and concluded I'm doing fine. I always have a few minutes to needle Mitch -- whether he reads my email or not.
Unlike some, I don't feel the man who made the imbecilic decision to hire Billy Clyde Gillispie to run the most prestigious basketball program of all time, and gave Joker Phillips "coach in waiting" status is above being held accountable by we mere alums and parents of alums who underwrite his salary.
You don't underwrite his salary. Athletics is a self sustaining entity of the university. I agree with the BCG hire. I disagree with Joker being named HCIW was a bad decision at the time.

Reactions: ~Keyser Soze~
Like it or not, UK is a brand and it's goal is to attract people and players to that brand. While I'm not stupid enough to believe any player hasn't come to UK because of the uniforms, enough have spoken out that you would think Mitch would change it. There's an old saying "You look good, you feel good, you play good." It's a simple change so you would think Mitch would just change it. I'm not the Mitch hater like so many on here but things like this is where his lack of PR really shines through. No matter the cause, from uniforms, or Commonwealth's remodel, he always plays the hand of it's Mitch's way or the Highway. No matter what the decision is, someone will be upset, I'll agree with him there but listen to the majority of the players and the fans.
Other than a couple guys on Matt Jones' show what players have mentioned the uniforms? I think Matt Jones (I'm not a hater, actually like his show) has blown the dislike for the uniforms completely out of proportion. I agree with bathtub, the uniforms are the least important part, as long as it is clear that they are playing for my University of Kentucky.

I like the checkers, just wish they were a little less prominent. The cut of the tops suck! I like a curved 'Kentucky'across the chest. The new UK logo is good, IMO, but the wildcat one sucks. ...and the football unis are generally terrible. Bring back the power K.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
This is actually pretty crappy thing to do by STD and Matt. Really putting him in a tough spot. Nike pays UK millions of dollars to wear those things. Even if we don't like them, mitch can't be dogging their design in public. Complain about who's in control all you want, but Nike is our partner in this. Want to pay Cal and Kenny all the money in the world to coach here? Then you got to work with the brand. Mitch has to defend them on radio.

Let's put it this way. You think Matts going to help pile on with you if you call and shyt on Harry's Razors. I doubt STD would even let you stay on the line if you started talking about terrible service at Conway Heaton.

Probably going to change again this summer just cause we do every other year. There will be checker board on there somewhere. Just have to hope for the best.

Mitch absolutely baffles the mind with the way he digs his heels in on this matter. The players hate them, the fans hate them, they make a tribute to a horse not even from this state.

The program has dealt with the eye sores for long enough. Mitch needs to quit being tone deaf to nearly every ones disdain of the uniforms and make a change based on what the players like. How can this be a players 1st program when the players don't get to determine the uniforms they prefer to wear?
It's like he's taking Kim Jong Un's approach.........."It's my way, or no way"

Reactions: UK90
ADVERTISEMENT