ADVERTISEMENT

Shannon "The Dude" asks Mitch about the Checkerboard Uniforms

I have no problems with the uniforms. I just watch the players and hope we win. Some people will whine about anything. If we scored 100 points a game some would complain about that.

Reactions: Kybluedude
Are we really paying tribute to Secretariat per se? I always assumed it was a combination of two things. Horse racing in general, not specifically Secretariat, and the fact that we used the checkerboard in our end zones in the 1930s, before anyone else was using it. In other words, it brings us back to an old tradition that we were the first to use and at the same time it also reflected the state's horse racing tradition. People clamor for UK to honor what little football tradition it has. The checkerboard does that because it was something that originated with us.
Nothing wrong with fb honoring that but bb honoring it makes no sense

I’ve praised Mitch’s efforts far more than I’ve disparaged them. Having said that he is ridiculously stubborn at times to an almost childlike level. A good AD would listen to negative feedback and consider changes or at least be able to have some dialogue on the topic. But Mitch digs in and gets offended at the thought of even discussing it.

Why is Mitch so damn defensive about this?

Umm......thats who he is. He doesnt like to be questioned about anything and thinks he's the smartest and best in the room.

His pride is a problem.

Glad he's not AD over basketball and can't wait for the day he's gone completely. Maybe I will be able to find some sort of appreciation for him one day but, it damn sure wont be while he's here. Kind of Like Smith.

All IN MY OPINION and you must take it as fact so take the education GANNER it's rarely free.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
I wonder if other fanbases whine and cry about uniforms and football fields with corporate sponsors name on them? It seems as though we crave reasons to whine and cry.

Keep the sponsors off the jerseys. My God people never stop until they destroy everything, amirite bob?

Reactions: Bobcat94
Because, as I understand, the whole checkerboard theme was Mitch's idea and baby from the beginning. Problem is he didn't bother to ask the fans for their opinion, and as it turns out, the fans hate it.

And its too damn close to looking like UThugs Endzone... which Mitch seems to be fond of

This is actually pretty crappy thing to do by STD and Matt. Really putting him in a tough spot. Nike pays UK millions of dollars to wear those things. Even if we don't like them, mitch can't be dogging their design in public. Complain about who's in control all you want, but Nike is our partner in this. Want to pay Cal and Kenny all the money in the world to coach here? Then you got to work with the brand. Mitch has to defend them on radio.

Let's put it this way. You think Matts going to help pile on with you if you call and shyt on Harry's Razors. I doubt STD would even let you stay on the line if you started talking about terrible service at Conway Heaton.

Probably going to change again this summer just cause we do every other year. There will be checker board on there somewhere. Just have to hope for the best.

Well thats from the point of view of the interviewer. Matt's job is to be a media person, so why would you have a problem with the question? Mitch is a hatchet man, so he needs to be asked tough questions and that particular one is a hot topic.

Nike doesn't go crazy with traditional powerhouses in football or Duke, Unc basketball ect. They dont have to do it at UK. Mitch does have control over our football team wearing clown costumes with road racer sleeves and a silver bullet love egg helmet.

I actually grew up in the 90's so in my world UK has always been more cutting edge in this department. I think in some ways it's a nice differing feature for our program. But too far is too far, and they need to dial it back. Maybe this becoming more of a story will help that.

There's no reason why Nike cant put together a nice retro combination like they do for Kansas and UNC. But the new wildcat and the checkerboards are choppy AF and it looks like total sht. The players apparantly dont like them either so there goes that.

"Glad he's not AD over basketball and can't wait for the day he's gone completely."

Oh God!! Please don't open up THAT can of worms again! Ever notice how the criticism of Barney is lessened the longer he doesn't appear in the media?

"Glad he's not AD over basketball and can't wait for the day he's gone completely."

Oh God!! Please don't open up THAT can of worms again! Ever notice how the criticism of Barney is lessened the longer he doesn't appear in the media?

Actually i dont plan on debating it if someone responds. They probably wont becsuse there is no point. My position on him is what it is.

This is actually pretty crappy thing to do by STD and Matt. Really putting him in a tough spot. Nike pays UK millions of dollars to wear those things. Even if we don't like them, mitch can't be dogging their design in public. Complain about who's in control all you want, but Nike is our partner in this. Want to pay Cal and Kenny all the money in the world to coach here? Then you got to work with the brand. Mitch has to defend them on radio.

Let's put it this way. You think Matts going to help pile on with you if you call and shyt on Harry's Razors. I doubt STD would even let you stay on the line if you started talking about terrible service at Conway Heaton.

Probably going to change again this summer just cause we do every other year. There will be checker board on there somewhere. Just have to hope for the best.
What does Matt have to do with it? It wasn't on KSR. Shannon produces more than one show.

Other than a couple guys on Matt Jones' show what players have mentioned the uniforms? I think Matt Jones (I'm not a hater, actually like his show) has blown the dislike for the uniforms completely out of proportion. I agree with bathtub, the uniforms are the least important part, as long as it is clear that they are playing for my University of Kentucky.
A couple guys equals nearly every player he's had on the show since 16 I guess. Fox, Monk, Bam all said they didn't like the checkerboard. Pretty sure Hawkins did too but I could be wrong. Former guys like Booker have come out against it. So far this year, 2 players on this year's team have said they don't like it. It's the only 2 they have interviewed. The design has only been around since 16 getting more and more prominent since it's first year. While it's not a huge issue, it's a simple fix or it should be. We're not talking about renaming Rupp here, we're talking about a uniform. If there's this much debate about it, change it.

This entire thread is embarrassing.

Anyone who actually emails an athletic director to whine about uniforms needs to examine their life.

nailed it
KSR built a mountain out of a mole hill on this issue

there is always the possibility that some of our major boosters which are horse people wanted the uniforms

I love Mitch, but he seems incredibly stubborn about this. All the players that have been on KSR have said they dislike the uniforms. 90% of fans hate the uniforms so where are all these people that Mitch is fighting for to keep these jerseys?

Reactions: UK90
90% of fans hate the uniforms so where are all these people that Mitch is fighting for to keep these jerseys?
where'd you get that figure? My guess is the vast majority of fans don't care about the uniforms.
there is always the possibility that some of our major boosters which are horse people wanted the uniforms
Could be.

Booster: "Look, I give you millions, you keep the horse-honoring uniforms, dig?"
Mitch: "I don't think you understand, there are a bunch of angry people on a message board, and some of them send hostile emails."

Reactions: mebeblue2
Half of us don't give two craps about what the uniforms look like. If they're uncomfortable then the players might have something. If they're just worried about how they look they need to shut the hell up and work on their defense. Some of you people that cry about the uniforms are probably the same ones that say we don't hang banners for draft picks. Yet all of a sudden what the uniforms look like is all important because a couple freshmen bitched about them. Freshman by the way that probably had the dumbest looking hair I've seen on any Kentucky players since the 70s
Tell that to Yankees fans. Many of us in BBN do care, and branding and how your image looks to the rest of the world is of vital importance in both sports and business. We should have been consulted on both uniform design and logo, both of which could be better.

Reactions: morgousky
ADVERTISEMENT