ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously Who would be your first choice for a coach?

I think writing off Lloyd because he’s 1-2 in March in his first 2 seasons as a head coach and then listing Willard as an intriguing candidate is wild. Willard has been a head coach for 17 seasons and has never made it out of the first weekend.

Regardless of the March disappointments Lloyd is off to a phenomenal start at Arizona.

Also if you’re going to list McCasland, who has had the majority of their success so far at the D2 level, you might as well hire McCollum instead. He’s been more successful than maybe any D2 coach in history.

Last edited:
Well replacing Cal at the end of this season isn't really very realistic, so I'm not going to put time and effort into really addressing that hypothetical. However, if he DOES finish out his contract, I provided a list of names - some "up and comers" to keep an eye on. It's not just wins and losses, or ability to "manage a game" that are prerequisites for this job at UK - BCG clearly exemplified that.

This job requires a certain level of charisma, youth, connections, and a certain personality. Some of the coaches previously mentioned don't exactly check all those boxes. But, they can certainly make strides by the time Calipari is done at UK
“Finishing out” a lifetime contract is really putting some un-Christian thoughts in my head lol

Record of 33-4 but did NOT make it past the Sweet 16
Record of 28-7, earn a 2-seed in the NCAAT, lose 1st round to a 15-seed

Y'all trying to pretend you wouldn't absolutely crucify this dude for these results?
Cal choked in the title game at Memphis and we still hired him. He also had two vacated seasons but we still did it.

Most of the great ones are old but would Rick Pitino come in for 3/4 years? Could Shaka handle the UK job? Beard has a past would he be considered? Would Mark Pope be able to get the talent here?

I would hire pitino and incentivize him to bring in former players and bring in someone like Vogel to groom for the job. Cal has to go and we need someone who will excite the fanbase one way or another

In this decade our record is something like 57 and 37. The worst win % since the 1910s. Enough is enough

Sweet baby Jesus lying in a manger please let this happen.
Me, too.

Hubert to the national championship game year 1.
Crappy year 2
Back to Top 10 ranking in year 3 and on track to go to NCAAT.
In the mix for elite recruits on the same level as UK, KU, Duke

I think UNC will get a championship while Hubert is HC.

Me, too.

Hubert to the national championship game year 1.
Crappy year 2
Back to Top 10 ranking in year 3 and on track to go to NCAAT.
In the mix for elite recruits on the same level as UK, KU, Duke

I think UNC will get a championship while Hubert is HC.
They got hot at the right time thanks to Brady Manek 2 years ago. If not for that he would be on the hot seat this season with 23 losses over his first 2 seasons. After the loss to UConn they will drop from the top 10 and if they were to lose to UK the next game they will be lucky to still be in the top 25.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Serious question: If Cal retired after this season, would you actually be campaigning for Wes Miller to take over the program? 2 seasons so far at Cincinatti, no NCAA Tournament appearances.

Now he's in the Big 12, loaded schedule come conference time - so PLENTY yet to be seen.

But is that acutally who you'd campaign for?

I'm a UNC fan; so I'm not advocating for UK...I just enjoy conversing with (not trash talking) other fans of great programs.

Wes Miller made UNC-Greensboro an NCAA/NIT team.

at Cincy
Year 1: 18-15, Kenpom #101
Year 2: 23-13, Kenpom #50
Year 3: 7-0, Kenpom #27

Kentucky is Kenpom #22 by the way.

Only noteworthy win for Cincy so far is a beat down of Georgia Tech who did beat Duke (who knows how good or bad Duke is? but still beat a major conference team who might be considered quality).

We will know how good Cincy is during a brutal January stretch when they play BYU, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, TCU, Kansas in consecutive games.

They got hot at the right time thanks to Brady Manek 2 years ago. If not for that he would be on the hot seat this season with 23 losses over his first 2 seasons. After the loss to UConn they will drop from the top 10 and if they were to lose to UK the next game they will be lucky to still be in the top 25.
You're right about everything.

Getting hot at the right time .... is that a bad thing? Is it luck he got to the championship game? Is it luck Caleb Love hit that shot? UNC did get hot in the last month of the season, but that's no different than any team. You gel and stay healthy for a run. These days, there's no Alcindor or Ewing to dominate the season and pencil them into the Final Four. So much talent at many schools and the NCAAT is wide open. So discount that if you want but the record books say UNC was in the championship game.

Record book also says crappy year 2 and historic rankings underachievement.

Clearly you don't watch UNC games (that's okay btw) but this season, his 3rd, seems like Hubert is figuring things out. UNC fans knew Hubert would have growing pains and is now, seemingly, coming into his own in his 3rd season.

Should be an entertaining Blue Blood Battle a week from tomorrow.

Getting hot at the right time .... is that a bad thing? Is it luck he got to the championship game? Is it luck Caleb Love hit that shot? UNC did get hot in the last month of the season, but that's no different than any team. You gel and stay healthy for a run. These days, there's no Alcindor or Ewing to dominate the season and pencil them into the Final Four. So much talent at many schools and the NCAAT is wide open. So discount that if you want but the record books say UNC was in the championship game.

Clearly you don't watch UNC games (that's okay btw) but this season, his 3rd, seems like Hubert is figuring things out. UNC fans knew Hubert would have growing pains and is now, seemingly, coming into his own in his 3rd season.

I just figured most UNC fans wouldn't be okay with mediocre seasons and hoping to get hot at the end. Good for you though for giving him a chance. I would guess you will be in the minority.

The division 2 coach with all of the championships sounds intriguing. Would like to know more about his coaching style.

Hurley is a jersey dude very happy to remain in the east coast. The idea of leaving a contemporary blue blood, natties in 1999, 2004, 2011, 2014, 2023 is absurd. He may leave for Duke or UNC, otherwise he’s in Storrs for good…

I just figured most UNC fans wouldn't be okay with mediocre seasons and hoping to get hot at the end. Good for you though for giving him a chance. I would guess you will be in the minority.
if not for that FF run, yes, it's concerning. I personally believe its because of Caleb Love. He simply got hot and made shots when it mattered. Last season, the crap season, he didn't make shots and the offense was terribly stagnant watching Caleb go one on one all the time. Hubert allowed that. He's fixed that with the roster changes and style of play (more ball movement). Most UNC fans see it this way. but mediocrity is not acceptable just like it's not with UK.

I'm a UNC fan; so I'm not advocating for UK...I just enjoy conversing with (not trash talking) other fans of great programs.

Wes Miller made UNC-Greensboro an NCAA/NIT team.

at Cincy
Year 1: 18-15, Kenpom #101
Year 2: 23-13, Kenpom #50
Year 3: 7-0, Kenpom #27

Kentucky is Kenpom #22 by the way.

Only noteworthy win for Cincy so far is a beat down of Georgia Tech who did beat Duke (who knows how good or bad Duke is? but still beat a major conference team who might be considered quality).

We will know how good Cincy is during a brutal January stretch when they play BYU, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, TCU, Kansas in consecutive games.
Yeah I don't think you can give him a chance (at UK) until he proves his worth in a power conference. I absolutely support mid-major coaches getting their shot at P5 jobs, but not Kentucky. Just like I don't think the Kentucky job should be anyone's 1st HC job - like Louisville did with Kenny, or like UNC did with Hubert

But speaking of, why didn't Miller get the UNC job over Hubert?

Pretty much applies to UCONN last year. They had a stretch in conference pay where they lost like 5 of 7 games, 4-game losing streak I believe. But got hot at the end of the season, playing their best ball, and actually had a very advantageous path to the title. That stuff matters, absolutely.

I will be intersted to see how Hubert does without Bacot and RJ Davis - were they both there before Hubert took over the HC spot? He has a VERY veteran team this year, can't emphasize that enough. Will be interesting to see if they succeed in the post era of Bacot, Davis, Cormac, Withers, and Ingram (should he go pro)

The division 2 coach with all of the championships sounds intriguing. Would like to know more about his coaching style.

He had a reputation as being a defensive guru but their offense has been top 5 in D2 for the last several years now. Obviously i guess because you’re not winning basketball championships if you can’t consistently score the ball.

But he likes to run a lot of off ball screen action with shooters all over the floor, including the center. Lots of motion and passing. It’s just good basketball.

The only question is about whether or not he’d be able to keep rosters together long enough for guys to master his system in this NIL era where other teams are constantly offering your bench guys and even your 2nd and 3rd scoring options the world while trying to poach them during the season through back channels.

But for a guy with his record at his age you take a chance that he figures all of that out.

Pretty much applies to UCONN last year. They had a stretch in conference pay where they lost like 5 of 7 games, 4-game losing streak I believe. But got hot at the end of the season, playing their best ball, and actually had a very advantageous path to the title. That stuff matters, absolutely.

I will be intersted to see how Hubert does without Bacot and RJ Davis - were they both there before Hubert took over the HC spot? He has a VERY veteran team this year, can't emphasize that enough. Will be interesting to see if they succeed in the post era of Bacot, Davis, Cormac, Withers, and Ingram (should he go pro)

Uconn didn’t just get hot at the end of the season though. They were hot for all of the season EXCEPT that stretch in the middle of conference play. 19 of their 25 wins before the tournament were by double figures. They were top 5 in Kenpom going into the tourney too. Analysts had them as one of the most under seeded teams based on their actual performance. Their schedule was lacking a little however, so even with only 8 losses they just didn’t have the resume to justify a higher seed.

And ofcourse after their tourney run they finshed #1 in most if not all computer rankings.

They were a strong contender hiding in plain sight. I guess a lot of people wrote them off after the mid season slump. I know I did. Hurley just hadn’t done much to impress up until last season tbh.

Inevitably, Vogel's name is going to come up. But I would encourage those people to take a close look at his record, all of it, then ask themselves honestly, what actually qualifies him for the Kentucky job.
For a lot of people I’d say his most impressive accomplishment is….He’s not Cal .

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Tang. His teams play to win games, he develops players, he makes in-game adjustments, he’s a good recruiter (you ever try to convince anyone to move to Manhattan, KS or Waco, TX?) and he’s well grounded. He’s younger than Calipari and already has as many rings as Calipari, but doesn’t bring Calipari’s toxicity. Tang is a builder and a leader.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigKari
Yeah I don't think you can give him a chance (at UK) until he proves his worth in a power conference. I absolutely support mid-major coaches getting their shot at P5 jobs, but not Kentucky. Just like I don't think the Kentucky job should be anyone's 1st HC job - like Louisville did with Kenny, or like UNC did with Hubert

But speaking of, why didn't Miller get the UNC job over Hubert?
Of course I'm not in the know but it seems that Hubert was right by Roy's side for many years and once Roy thought about retiring, he asked Hubert what he thought about being a head coach of UNC. Hubert indicated he wanted it and was being groomed for it.

It's a seemless transition in many ways. It's the same culture, a lot of the same plays. The players Hubert recruited and coached would stay. Roy didn't leave the cupboard bare and no one would transfer.

and Hubert was as UNC as you could be from him being a nephew to the great Walter Davis, to playing for Dean, to finding his wife from UNC...all of it.

Wes had HC experience but not exactly at a big school.

Roy didn't have any HC experience and did well at Kansas. So why couldn't that be the case for Hubert (and similarly for Jon Scheyer at Duke)?

It seems like Hubert has figured some things out and UNC is going to be solidly in the top 20 going forward. Recruiting is going well. But if Hubert falters over the next 2-3 more years, Wes is likely the 1st phone call.

Kentucky seems like family is not in its culture like it is at the other 3 blue bloods. Kentucky fans will want an established winning coach after Calipari. No proteges, no head coaches in waiting, no former UK players turned good coaches. Has to be a big name, a hot name with experience.

Shaka Smart is hot again. Hurley is strictly east coast. Maybe in a few years, Missouri's Dennis Gates. or Chris Beard who in a few years will rehabilitate his reputation and on court success.

Bacot has been "big" for Hubert. Never had to worry about rebounding for his 1st 3 seasons as HC.

But I do think Hubert will get new players that suit his preferred style which is to have bigs who are mobile and can shoot a little bit. Bacot is only a back to the basket player. I think Hubert's next big men will have more ability to put the ball on the floor and have more of a face up game.

I'm not worried about Hubert's recruiting or his system. If anything, I was concerned about him giving Caleb Love too much of a green light. It worked out 1 season but not the next.

Someone who has connections like john wooden. of course uk would have to negotiate it’s way past st peter at heaven’s gate. i’m sure ad mitch barnhart would give him a contract for eternity.

Tang. His teams play to win games, he develops players, he makes in-game adjustments, he’s a good recruiter (you ever try to convince anyone to move to Manhattan, KS or Waco, TX?) and he’s well grounded. He’s younger than Calipari and already has as many rings as Calipari, but doesn’t bring Calipari’s toxicity. Tang is a builder and a leader.
He's had only one full year of head coaching experience and he's 57. The cupboard is awful bare for that age.

Scott Drew and maybe Tommy Lloyd are the probably the only answers.

-Hiring a Division 2 coach with no Division 1 success is a Mid-Major college or lower power-5 hire. It's not a blue blood hire.

-Frank Vogel isn't leaving his head coaching job to be an assistant at UK.

-Pitino ain't coming back.

Some of y'all watch way too many movies and TV shows about a multiverse.

He [Brad Stevens] wouldn’t take it but it doesn’t hurt to ask
You're right that Brad Stevens probably wouldn't take the job, but the more important point - about which you are also correct - is ... it doesn't hurt to ask. I'd throw more money at him than he's making now, whatever that amount is ! I'd make him turn it down !

Of course I'm not in the know but it seems that Hubert was right by Roy's side for many years and once Roy thought about retiring, he asked Hubert what he thought about being a head coach of UNC. Hubert indicated he wanted it and was being groomed for it.

It's a seemless transition in many ways. It's the same culture, a lot of the same plays. The players Hubert recruited and coached would stay. Roy didn't leave the cupboard bare and no one would transfer.

and Hubert was as UNC as you could be from him being a nephew to the great Walter Davis, to playing for Dean, to finding his wife from UNC...all of it.

Wes had HC experience but not exactly at a big school.

Roy didn't have any HC experience and did well at Kansas. So why couldn't that be the case for Hubert (and similarly for Jon Scheyer at Duke)?

It seems like Hubert has figured some things out and UNC is going to be solidly in the top 20 going forward. Recruiting is going well. But if Hubert falters over the next 2-3 more years, Wes is likely the 1st phone call.

Kentucky seems like family is not in its culture like it is at the other 3 blue bloods. Kentucky fans will want an established winning coach after Calipari. No proteges, no head coaches in waiting, no former UK players turned good coaches. Has to be a big name, a hot name with experience.

Shaka Smart is hot again. Hurley is strictly east coast. Maybe in a few years, Missouri's Dennis Gates. or Chris Beard who in a few years will rehabilitate his reputation and on court success.
I'm not opposed to a "coach in waiting" type deal, I'm not opposed whatsoever to that. But I'm just one of many fans in BBN that have no say whatsoever. So my opinion obviously means nothing. But if you're specifically being prepared for the position, much like Sheyer was (we can debate if he's doing well or not so far) or like Hubert, then I think that's different than being an assistant coach at Texas and then getting the HC job at Kentucky. Just my take

Reactions: HeelVol
They just got smoked at home to... NEBRASKA!! They scored a total of 12 points the entire 2nd half!!
He develops players? He inherited his best players last year. He's trying hard too hard to be liked... but as the Ls pile up, it won't matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT