ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously, where do we go from here??

TTTblue24

Junior
Feb 1, 2004
Whitesburg, Ky
I just can’t see him coming back to run this program so I predict a negotiated buyout then he takes the Michigan job. So where do we go? Is Hurley the first call??? Be shocked him ever leaving there cause what’s the pressure at UConn?? Then who?? Mitch wants Drew from what you guys say but I just don’t know if that excites the program, I don’t want a retread former nba guy either so who??

Reactions: MbergCat
I was about to pose the same question. What the hell happens next? I honestly don’t think I can enjoy another regular season again. I would know that the inevitable is coming.

I think we are really looking at the mutual severing of the ties. It finally feels real this time. There won’t be an ambassadorship. That massive buyout would have to be negotiated down so they can part ways amicably. I don’t think he is happy here anymore and this can’t be good for him. He’d probably make a hell of an NBA analyst. I always assumed he’d find way to fall upward. At least in his eyes

Where do we go?

I say UK just comes out and says we don’t want him but we don’t want to pay him off. Cow's ego would not be able to take it… even at $9M/yr.

If that doesn't work right away, I say lets not go to ANYthing except the game. Cheer for the team, yell “Sit down and shut up Cal!” When he inevitably starts his ranting. And file out quick after the game so he does his post game radio show (when he ACTUALLY does it) in front of empty seats. That should do it. Presto!

I will only charge UK only $1M for saving them the buyout.

Then I will immediately invest that in a campaign to fire Brainfart!

I don’t think we go anywhere. Cal isn’t walking away from $35+ million and UK isn’t going to pay him $35+ million so they are stuck. No realistic option to do anything until/if Cal decides he wants to do something different.

Reactions: kxtop
It something isn't done soon, there will be nothing at Kentucky to coach.
Not true in this day and age. The right coach comes in and with the portal fixes things in his first year. A program can't really die anymore. It's all about the coach. Hurley took UConn from completely irrelevant to champions very quickly.

Reactions: westerncat
Not true in this day and age. The right coach comes in and with the portal fixes things in his first year. A program can't really die anymore. It's all about the coach. Hurley took UConn from completely irrelevant to champions very quickly.
You keep on dreaming. As usual, the emperor doesn't want to hear that he has no clothes.

To me it’s obviously not as big as the coaching decision, but the Reed decision(regardless of the dud tonight) is huge for this program.

If Reed is gone then I think it makes it easier for Cal to negotiate a buyout and go elsewhere with his recruits for a healthy salary. Cal is the one making this decision. No returning talent would make it even more likely he’s willing to leave imo.

With our luck Mitch will hire someone like Tom Crean
I want someone who realizes that coaching does matter and that we don't give a rat's butt about how many players are invited to the green room, and that the SEC tourney does matter and that playing your best players matter. Yes, I realize my sentence isn't structurally correct, but I don't give a good crap.

Firing is probably not going to happen. Too expensive and bad PR because of Cal's total tenure without looking at the obvious declining results the last five-7 years.

Best we can hope for is a "mutal" parting of the ways with a negotiated buyout.

I am afriad - terrified even - we're stuck with him for another couple seasons. Cal's lost his fastball and it would be best for his legacy here if he graciously stepped aside and let someone else sit in that chair. Buuuuuuut, we all know damn good and well his ego won't allow it.

I just can’t see him coming back to run this program so I predict a negotiated buyout then he takes the Michigan job. So where do we go? Is Hurley the first call??? Be shocked him ever leaving there cause what’s the pressure at UConn?? Then who?? Mitch wants Drew from what you guys say but I just don’t know if that excites the program, I don’t want a retread former nba guy either so who??
I don't want a coach from some big-name program. I would rather have a young upcoming coach who has the energy, vision, and passion to rebuild this program. If we can't get that, I am open to the man who came here once before when UK was at one of its darkest moments. Yes, I am talking about the one and only RP.

LOL completely irrelevant? They have won FIVE national championships and 3 since Cal has been here

Reactions: NociHTTP
Tell that to IU basketball, UCLA basketball, Nebraska football. None of those programs have sniffed anything near the glory of their golden age. And they've all tried numerous coaches. UK could very easily add its name to the list if this fiasco is allowed to continue.

I don’t think we go anywhere. Cal isn’t walking away from $35+ million and UK isn’t going to pay him $35+ million so they are stuck. No realistic option to do anything until/if Cal decides he wants to do something different.
The buyouts more than a few million are never paid in one lump sum... it can be negotiated over years..... UK has the money to make Cal wait over a decade in the courts to see money if they wanted to which is why coaches usually negotiate so im guessing it would be like a 2-4 million a year over so many years.

Tell that to IU basketball, UCLA basketball, Nebraska football. None of those programs have sniffed anything near the glory of their golden age. And they've all tried numerous coaches. UK could very easily add its name to the list if this fiasco is allowed to continue.
Or we could keep Cal and get there quicker.

LOL completely irrelevant? They have won FIVE national championships and 3 since Cal has been here
When Hurley was hired the were indeed irrelevant. They were coming off a 16-17 season in a nothing conference and were on probation. The last four seasons of the Ollie era they missed the tournament twice and never made it past the second round.

That's because they haven't hired the right coach. That's really all there is to it.

• Love
Reactions: Tik Tok
There is an easy solution here. You fire cal and hire pitino. Simple. Pitino will take peanuts to coach you pay cal the buyout or a negotiated buyout and you roll like that. Or cal will take the Michigan or other job making 5-6 mil a year with a negotiated settlement. Don’t let anyone tell you it can’t be done. Firing Barney may have to happen first or a demotion to assistant AD while Dan Issel or someone like that takes over

Defense is mostly physical so making changes typically don't hurt the players. However, offense is as much mental as physical so you never do anything that could possibly take players out of their mental comfort zone. Normally that is what opposing defenses attempt to do. But our brilliant coach who said his team was built for March took his team out of their comfort zone for the opponent.
I feel rather certain that coaches throughout college basketball laughing at us and our arrogant coach who thinks he invented the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT