ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Refs

bigblue11

Junior
Feb 4, 2004
Protect the QB, except if his name is Stephen Johnson.

Check out @BigEyedFisch’s Tweet:

Check out @SECcountry’s Tweet:

There's nothing wrong with that second play. He has no way of knowing SJ fumbled the ball and in any case there is a live ball on the ground just a few feet away. Had Johnson passed it or handed it off and then that happened, different story.

I agree on the second one for the most part but get the feeling had it been reversed we'd have been flagged for it. The first one had me livid though. They had just called SJ for unsportsmanlike conduct a few plays before for some shoulder bump thing that could be called after every play. Then stood there and watched these two guys push his head in the ground and did absolutely nothing.

The crew yesterday was the crew that gave a UK opponent a 1st down on a measurement even though it was 3-4 inches short.

But by far the worst crew is the crew who did the Ole Miss game, white hat is named Curles. He has to confer on every damn call. Every. Damn. Call. Loves that TV face time.

Anytime you slam someone like that is usually a penelty. Don't have to be a qb. Unnessecary roughness and specially with emphasis There is a reason you don't see body slams all the time.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
on the first drive, our WR was being pushed out of bounds by the DB as the ball was in the air, the ball hit the uga player in the back of the head, and no call. uga catches a ball off the ground, play is reviewed, and ruled a catch. clear that the higher ups don't want UK to upset any of the chosen teams. no way we are allowed upset a protected team, unless we kick them off the field. have to soundly beat them. We have enough of the "sorry, we blew that call" letters from the SEC office to wallpaper kroger field. I just wished that Mitch would make some noise about leaving the SEC unless they stop protecting the power teams in football. Seems like in basketball, they feel upsets are good for the league.

Questionable at least. But of all the missed calls, this one was the least egregious.

Horrible crew. League officials horrible in general. Football and basketball

Reactions: law1127
There's nothing wrong with that second play. He has no way of knowing SJ fumbled the ball and in any case there is a live ball on the ground just a few feet away. Had Johnson passed it or handed it off and then that happened, different story.

I agree on the second one for the most part but get the feeling had it been reversed we'd have been flagged for it. The first one had me livid though. They had just called SJ for unsportsmanlike conduct a few plays before for some shoulder bump thing that could be called after every play. Then stood there and watched these two guys push his head in the ground and did absolutely nothing.

I've seen running backs suplexed get the call numerous times. You're not supposed to pick up and slam... I don't necessarily think it should be a penalty, cuz sometimes that's the only thing you can do... but it typically is

I don’t see how the 2nd one isn’t a penalty. They throw flags for hitting to high or low on a QB, slamming a QB backwards and having him land on his neck/Head seems way more dangerous than hitting to high or low.

Just inconsistent on applying the rules. Lynn Bowden makes a block vs EKU, 2 guys running at full speed, and their helmets make contact... he’s ejected.

I then watched a game (can’t recall who was playing. May have been FSU/UofL) where the QB was hit helmet to helmet and drove into the ground... no call.

We’ve seen QBs get hit as they release the ball and flags fly.

I agree it shouldn’t be a penalty because he had no way of knowing he fumbled... BUT the rules say different. By the rules they have in place, that’s a flag every time.

When has Kentucky ever gotten calls like the other teams, like someone said none of our linemen went after anybody either. It's because we never get the call and if our linemen did go after them it would be worse on us than the other team. For some reason the calls involving Kentucky are just not important to the league office, right or wrong, you can go back through the years there are to many calls that go against Kentucky even when it's obvious.

The first one showing a guy getting up and reversing it for a second or so isn't a fair look at what happened, the 2nd could have been called, but to get a real look at the first you need to show more than a second forward and backward. The play where Johnson tries to jump and gets spun, nothing wrong with that play,once he tucks and runs he is a RB, not a qb, unless he slides which he didn't, then he gets hit like a RB.

Alabama moved on the last play of the game Al Bakers last year and scored, Florida scored a couple of years ago with no time on the clock there are too many to recall. A penalty is a penalty and no team is an exception but it hasn't worked out that way. Kentucky is just a hard luck program in football, is it ever going to change?

First one is iffy, I would like to see more of it then just the back and forth, but the second is a dangerous play and is unnecessary roughness. He tried to hurt the QB. You cannot slam a defenseless player to the ground literally endangering his life. As an official you try to limit flags by employing preventative officiating techniques, but that one was an easy call, you have to protect the player in that situation.

Dave

First one is iffy, I would like to see more of it then just the back and forth, but the second is a dangerous play and is unnecessary roughness. He tried to hurt the QB. You cannot slam a defenseless player to the ground literally endangering his life. As an official you try to limit flags by employing preventative officiating techniques, but that one was an easy call, you have to protect the player in that situation.

Dave
As I said, I hope UK takes it up with the SEC office..doubtful they'll take action or that we hear about it if they do.

SJ throws a shoulder shimmy at a defensive player that was so light the player didn't even move and a 15 yard penalty is assessed on SJ. Then SJ gets picked up and body slammed to the turf after fumbling the football and lies hurt on the field as a result without a flag. UK was still in the game at that point down 28-13 and of course a roughing the passer call there moves UK to georgias 40 yard line. Pretty much a BS no call as no doubt we would have been flagged for doing the same.

The first one showing a guy getting up and reversing it for a second or so isn't a fair look at what happened, the 2nd could have been called, but to get a real look at the first you need to show more than a second forward and backward. The play where Johnson tries to jump and gets spun, nothing wrong with that play,once he tucks and runs he is a RB, not a qb, unless he slides which he didn't, then he gets hit like a RB.
I'm not sure I understand what your are saying about the first one, but that occurred after a sack. Not after the run. When he got up he shoved Johnson's head into the turf, that wasn't accidental contact. After a run before that, Johnson threw a chicken wing and got a 15 yard penalty. But both of those are personal fouls and should have been called, but if called were unlikely to change the outcome of the game.

Even more disappointing is that no offensive linemen went off on the UGA players
Don't think anyone including official seen it. I'm sure everyone was focused on obtaining the loose ball. Meadows goes back there to help him up and looking around like what happened.

I would get a paycheck had bunchie seen what happened it would have been on!

I'm not sure I understand what your are saying about the first one, but that occurred after a sack. Not after the run. When he got up he shoved Johnson's head into the turf, that wasn't accidental contact. After a run before that, Johnson threw a chicken wing and got a 15 yard penalty. But both of those are personal fouls and should have been called, but if called were unlikely to change the outcome of the game.

If there was more of the first one at normal speed to see I might agree, the call on Johnson was weak and shouldn't have been called.

SJ throws a shoulder shimmy at a defensive player that was so light the player didn't even move and a 15 yard penalty is assessed on SJ. Then SJ gets picked up and body slammed to the turf after fumbling the football and lies hurt on the field as a result without a flag. UK was still in the game at that point down 28-13 and of course a roughing the passer call there moves UK to georgias 40 yard line. Pretty much a BS no call as no doubt we would have been flagged for doing the same.

I watched the replay, the call on Johnson shouldn't have been called, when it was called I figured it was on our guys. But on the replay the slam wasn't really the slam i thought it was, granted he went down hard but it wasn't over his shoulder like I thought at the time, no idea if he knew there was a fumble or not, he never let up on the tackle.

One of our receivers was in a pushing match with one of their players when SJ got up. It looked like he stepped between them and pushed the GA player away. From what I could tell he extended his arm to our guy too like he was trying to push them away from each other. It wasn't like he went face to face with the guy and shoved him to the ground.

You can see pushing like that happen on 95% of tackles when guys get up. Quite possibly the weakest Personal Foul penalty I have ever witnessed.

Reactions: docholiday51
The body slam would absolutely have been called against us 100% of the time and probably an ejection.
Especially if it had an impact on the outcome of the game....ie, the BS holding call at the end of the Florida game right as we get into field goal range. I would bet had we not gotten in FG range, that hold never gets called.

I agree with you mostly on this play except for the last player to hit SJ...he led with helmet and hit SJ's helmet. Yes, it was very fast to see in real time but if you replay in slow mo, you can see it. Not advocating it was egregious, just pointing it out as I watched a replay since I didn't notice during the game.

First of all, SEC officials are as corrupt as the politicians in Washington. Will NEVER give UK even a fair whistle because we are supposed to lose. The SEC Office supports their actions because a Georgia loss to KY would cost the league a ton of money. What is just as egregious as the horrible no calls/missed calls is Gary Danielson's putrid comments toward UK and his refusal to even acknowledge the missed calls. Never mentioned SJ getting body slammed but went on and on about the great defensive play by the LB. On any close play that is in UK favor he will beg for the replay officials to review the play and try his best to convince them the call needs to go the other way. And yes, replay officials are listening to broadcast and watching their replays. Danielson has a strong bias against UK. May have been brainwashed in Indiana. I absolutely hate for him or Andre Ware to call our games. Both are totally biased IMO.

Brock Lesnar is jealous of that belly to back suplex. I am shocked their fans didn't start a "Suplex City" chant.

During the game I thought that too, I watched the replay today just for that play and that wasn't how it ended up. He did lift him and he went down hard, but it wasn't what I was expecting. I don't understand the complaints on replays, all 3 catch replays went in UK's favor, the first one on the sideline was a catch too, but the ruling stood, one had was over the end of the ball and it was pressed into his elbow, ball never moved.

I guess I'm supposed to believe that a huge roided up linebacker couldn't get a skinny half his size Qb down any other way than to German suplex him violently on his neck. Clearly unnecessary roughness and should have been called. Literally could have broke his neck. Smdh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT