ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Pope Unique Offense (Video)

Can't wait to watch an actual offense... it's been so long!

No more dribble dribble maybe drive? If not throwing up a brick with a horrible 3 point shooter :)
Dude can coach! Known as an excellent X and Os guy! I think this will turn out to be a sneaky good hire. People don’t like it now and that’s okay.

Like.

-edit-

Not mentioned in that Youtube clip: the players are shooters and passers not future NBA picks. The system -- execution -- beats you not talent. The screamers should check their outrage at the door because Pope seems to be brining exactly what the screamers claimed they wanted.

But, hey, maybe they simply like screaming first and basketball second. Or even third.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. It may not completely alleviate all my doubts about the hire, but it does give me some hope that it could work out. If we can get a solid roster in place, it will be fun to see a coach with an actual system and plan to implement instead of “go make a play”.

Like.

-edit-

Not mentioned in that Youtube clip: the players are shooters and passers not future NBA picks. The system -- execution -- beats you not talent. The screamers should check their outrage at the door because Pope seems to be brining exactly what the screamers claimed they wanted.

But, hey, maybe they simply like screaming first and basketball second. Or even third.
Couldn't we get like both of those things? NBA picks that are shooters and passers. Crossing my fingers....

We better find some killer outside shooters if we’re gonna play that style.
Pope has a style and recruits to that style. He isn’t going to be bringing in guys whose weakness is shooting. He recruits players not star ratings. If a player he goes after is highly rated then even better but this board will have to learn not to judge our classes by star ratings any longer although I know that will be hard to do.

Pope has a style and recruits to that style. He isn’t going to be bringing in guys whose weakness is shooting. He recruits players not star ratings. If a player he goes after is highly rated then even better but this board will have to learn not to judge our classes by star ratings any longer although I know that will be hard to do.

Right... I made a post two days ago that got little to none interaction about this topic. The days of looking at how many stars a player has is OVER.

Pope will recruit college basketball ready made players and perhaps an NBA guy once in a while. This is how it should of been done anyways.

Right... I made a post two days ago that got little to none interaction about this topic. The days of looking at how many stars a player has is OVER.

Pope will recruit college basketball ready made players and perhaps an NBA guy once in a while. This is how it should of been done anyways.
2012 team was a dream blend of talent and experience...lighting in a bottle.

Reactions: DraftCat
Pitino always had good defensive teams. I'm hoping that better players make Pope look like a brilliant hire. He's always been a sharp guy and he was mentored by one of the best ever coaches. I can see how his system may attract talented players, too.

Time will tell but I'll support the hire and one of our own. He was very hamstrung recruiting at BYU. He likely played a system that simply got the most from the talent he had. Pitino did the same, especially early on. And yes, we shot a lot of 3's then too, because we didn't have the best athletes on the floor in a lot of those games. The system Pitino brought, brought better players.

Couldn't we get like both of those things? NBA picks that are shooters and passers. Crossing my fingers....
Recent history says No. And definitely not this season: all the 5* are committed. One of the differences between Pope's offense and, say, Oats offense is that Pope's is much more structured. I haven't seen a Princeton offense in years so I doubt my memory, but the patterns, screens, and back door cuts say "Princeton Offense" to me. You play that when you don't have the megastar who beats you with talent alone.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
popes offense
Gun Neon Rated GIF by NEON

I grew to HATE the highly-rated classes full of wide, tall, klutzy leapers long ago. Not the kids just the lack of basketball. Bring me in some Cliff Hawkinses and Chuck Hayeses(equivalents for this range-attack system, that is) and you can call em all one stars. I’ll be thrilled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT