ADVERTISEMENT

SEC officials are a complete embarrassment

Don’t watch many other SEC games but games in other conferences are way better officiated than UK SEC games.

The jump ball/flagrant was ridiculous.

Whether or not you think EJ moved that’s a non call 100% of the time considering the game context. That was a ref looking to make a call guaranteed.

Cal's arrogance probably does form the basis for a lot of their treatment. He works them pretty good, but we are getting some crappy calls. It needs an overhaul for sure, and big changes are needed...immediately. These last two crews were definitely off their games.

Arrogance is 95% makeup of an official, 5% is stupidity. ;)

Until the T's on Cal the refs were trending to literally foul out HALF of the guys that see the court for us to their ONE. And that ONE was not playing good. Don't know what more a ref could do to help a team win.

Hope our guys have developed an animosity for the refs in this league that they refuse to let them take another game from us. Everyone one of them playing every second of every game at the highest intensity they possibly can for the rest of the year.

Did I hear or read correctly that there was a 10 min stretch from the last 5 min of first half and first 5 min of half 2 that the fouls calls were 15-2 ?

Didn’t read this whole thread. But it has been said many times, THERE ARE NO SEC OFFICIALS! The officials are regional. So they call different conferences. Not just one.

Did I hear or read correctly that there was a 10 min stretch from the last 5 min of first half and first 5 min of half 2 that the fouls calls were 15-2 ?
May be right. At one point I know we had a lot of fouls called on us and they only had two. Then they call a foul on AR and Vitale got really mad about it saying it wasn't a foul. Then the other announcer said, 'well, to be fair AR has had only three fouls called on them,' compared to ever how many they had called on us.

He bitched about the refs when he misses 7 layups and has at least 5 ridiculous turnovers every game ?

Six assists and one turnover yesterday. What the hell are you talking about. Refs took him out of this game and allowed Arkansas to come back when he went out with 4 fouls. He played a tremendous game yesterday, especially after coming back in early with 4 fouls.

Reactions: Bryguy
As long as nothing is done to curb officials betting on the games it will only get worse. If you think officials don't bet on the games they are calling you are dreaming.
If that's the case, do you have an explanation as to why the refs are always accused of calling the game against UK? Appears to me it would be just as easy to rotate the favoritism among teams and still make the same amount of money on bets.

The last minute is all we needed to see to know we are right. Jordan wanted so badly to figure out how to get Quickley on a flagrant. He wasn’t watching the video, he was contemplating how to frame it.
Cal has already been tossed. I wish he would go full blown and have a press conference and show videos of the awful calls and name the refs. Just go all in on it. Worst he would get is a big fine and maybe miss a game or two.

But maybe it would force it to be dealt with and be brought to the forefront.
Collect all the info he can get and just put them on blast.

Reactions: BigTyrone
N
Cal has already been tossed. I wish he would go full blown and have a press conference and show videos of the awful calls and name the refs. Just go all in on it. Worst he would get is a big fine and maybe miss a game or two.

But maybe it would force it to be dealt with and be brought to the forefront.
Collect all the info he can get and just put them on blast.
As long as the refs keep their power over the games and aren’t held accountable, all this would do is make it worse for us (if it can actually get any worse).

Go look at the terrible illegal screen call against EJ...and you'll see the Ark player with his arms completely wrapped around EJ. One of the worst calls Jordan made the entire game....next to the mugging incident against IQ where he got the flagrant foul.

Officiating overall in college basketball is an eyesore, but SEC officials take the cake by a wide margin.

After the last two road games, I’m tired of the constant screwing so we take on the road in SEC play. Absolutely had it. It’s beyond pathetic at this point.
It's making games unwatchable. This year seems particularly bad. One half is called different from the other even.

There's an old saying that's usually attributed to Napeleon: "Never blame malice for what can be explained by incompetence." Blaming referees betting on games for consistently making bad calls against the team is simply illogical. Why not bet on UK half the time and help them make the spread?

Reactions: ktbug
N

As long as the refs keep their power over the games and aren’t held accountable, all this would do is make it worse for us (if it can actually get any worse).
Probably, but what else can he do? What can anyone do really? They put in the the flop rule, but none of them are calling it. Ark was flopping like fish in a boat but never a call.
At one point, I believe UK had 8 fouls on them in the 2nd half and Ark had zero.

Reactions: TheDude73
Probably, but what else can he do? What can anyone do really? They put in the the flop rule, but none of them are calling it. Ark was flopping like fish in a boat but never a call.
At one point, I believe UK had 8 fouls on them in the 2nd half and Ark had zero.
Keep arguing with them in game like all the other coaches do, but don’t cross that line and make a deal in pressers and rack up fines. He goes that route, it would only get worse as the fraternity doesn’t like being called out publicly (one reason the NCAA forbids coaches from saying squat).

Keep arguing with them in game like all the other coaches do, but don’t cross that line and make a deal in pressers and rack up fines. He goes that route, it would only get worse as the fraternity doesn’t like being called out publicly (one reason the NCAA forbids coaches from saying squat).
You're thinking logically (and correctly). I am thinking like Michael Corleone. Just settle all family business and move on.

Officiating overall in college basketball is an eyesore, but SEC officials take the cake by a wide margin.

After the last two road games, I’m tired of the constant screwing so we take on the road in SEC play. Absolutely had it. It’s beyond pathetic at this point.
They are terrible. They were just looking to make a call on UK. Arky players were flopping and the moving screen call on EJ was a total joke.

I have always heard when refs get fired from other conferences the SEC hires them, kinda like dick's last resort for refs. I'm not sure if that mostly myth or not but my first hunch is to believe it.

how you and so many others are constantly blaming the refs for everything when the team looks incompetent for most of the game is beyond me
Have you ever played a basketball game. Evidently not. Maybe you think they are playing .

If our pussy AD would take this game film to the SEC office and say something needs to be done Hell even Dicky V was complaining about it.Thought Dick V was going to get tossed for a minute

When Duke V says the refs are bad, they are really bad. Yeah he wanted to watch the Duke game but he was right in what he said.

Reactions: kl40504
Didn’t read this whole thread. But it has been said many times, THERE ARE NO SEC OFFICIALS! The officials are regional. So they call different conferences. Not just one.

I don't think they are even that. They are contractors who contract with any conference they reach an agreement with.

I don't think they are even that. They are contractors who contract with any conference they reach an agreement with.

But they aren’t exclusive just to that conference . They may be assigned to multiple conferences. If that said ref just “wants” to ref in one conference, that’s his choice. Yes they are contractors. Year to year.

But they aren’t exclusive just to that conference . They may be assigned to multiple conferences. If that said ref just “wants” to ref in one conference, that’s his choice. Yes they are contractors. Year to year.

I didn't say they were exclusive.

They DID actually call a 3-second violation against Arkansas one time. I'll admit that you could have knocked me over with a feather when that happened! Dickie V commented that he was probably in the lane 6 seconds though....

If you think the refs wanted Arky to win, why didn't Arky win?
They were bad, but refs don't cheat.

If you think the refs wanted Arky to win, why didn't Arky win?
They were bad, but refs don't cheat.
They tried to fix it so Arkansas would win,but they over did it when they threw Cal out. In other words they were so bad they couldn't fix a game when they were trying. to fix it

They tried to fix it so Arkansas would win,but they over did it when they threw Cal out. In other words they were so bad they couldn't fix a game when they were trying. to fix it
So the refs were not only crooked but also stupid? And that's the reason UK won? Why don't crooked refs ever bet on UK? Common sense is not so common around here.

Possible Reasons:
1. Blowouts make bad for bad TV and people stop watching so keep the game close.
2. Most SEC schools are football schools. Selling basketball tickets at football schools is hard so keep the game close.
3. When an SEC team beats UK, it helps their resume and gives them a better chance of making the tournaments so keep the game close.
4. Officials play to the crowds
5. UK fans go after basketball officials when they screw up like no other fan base. It's a brotherhood and they don't like it.
6. Point spreads matter.
7. Officials are aging and the game is getting faster. Most officials are always trailing the action.

The underdog has a bigger payout...

Uh, UK was a 2.5 point dog. But, most bets I'm familiar with don't work that way anyway; they use the spread to arrive at even-money bets. Arkansas was 65-35 on the probability to win scale so an even up bet on UK would have paid off very well.

Last edited:
So the refs were not only crooked but also stupid? And that's the reason UK won? Why don't crooked refs ever bet on UK? Common sense is not so common around here.
My post was somewhat in jest,however if you don't see that UK is getting the short end of the stick from the refs then common sense is indeed in short supply.

Reactions: transpac
Uh, UK was a 2.5 point dog. But, most bets I'm familiar with don't work that way anyway; they use the spread to arrive at even-money bets. Arkansas was 65-35 on the probability to win scale so an even up bet on UK would have paid off very well.

Hey, you caught me. Ive never placed a bet in my life , except for between friends. I was just throwin stuff out there.

Reactions: transpac
I've often been convinced that the refs were biased and I complain as much as anyone about crappy calls. But, when I reflect on the game I try to remember that my judgement is clouded by my bias (or blue glasses) and fans of the other team usually can honestly say they see it entirely differently. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. I think the overwhelming majority of refs are straight shooters. But, they do make mistakes and there's probably some who dislike certain coaches. Whether that dislike affects calls depends on an individual ref's ethics, but I doubt that it has much effect.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT