Scouting Transylvania

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
Transylvania University Pioneers
Head Coach: Brian Lane
Asst Coach: Kyle Macy
DIII Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Transylvania Press Release: http://www.transysports.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20180802jmtbe4

Last season’s results…
Overall: 17-9, home: 9-5, Away 7-4
Finished 4th in HCAC Conference with a 12-6 record
Starters lost: 2
Starters returning: 3

Game info: Kentucky vs Transylvania (exh.) Rupp Arena,
Friday, October 26 7pm EST, TV: SEC Network

Probable Starters
#15 G Gabe Schmitt 6-2 170 Jr 12.1pts, 2.6reb, 2.3ast, 43.8% 3fg
#21 G Cooper Theobald 6-1 170 Sr 11.7pts, 6.1reb, 3ast, drives, slashes, started all
#10 G Michael Jefferson 6-2 165 So, 9.8pts, 3.3ast, 3.0reb, started all
#11 F Bo Schuh 6-6 205 Sr 8.6pts, 4.2reb, 36.2% from 3fg
#14 G/F Spencer McKinney 6-4 180 Jr 6.8pts, 2.8reb, 1.7ast

Key Reserves
#20 G Devin Twenty 5-11 165 So 4.5pts, 1.1reb, 1ast
#31 G Spencer Hemmerich 6-2 195 So 2.8pts, 0.8reb
#25 F Will Anderson 6-7 185 So 2.1pts, 1.2reb
#12 G Will Sivills 6-3 180 So 1.7pts
#0 G Gavin Root 6-0 175 So 1.5pts
#22 F Lucas Gentry 6-5 205 So 1.3pts

I have not included the freshman class, which is massive and includes 15 players. They have a JV team, so most of those freshmen won’t dress out for this game. I’m not sure which ones will, so I left them all out. To see the complete roster, (I think they nearly ran out of numbers) check here: http://www.transysports.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/roster

Team stats: (2017-18)
Point per game: 82.1
Points allowed: 77.7
FG%: 49.3%
FG% allowed: 46.1%
FT%: 71%
Rebounds: 35.3
Reb allowed: 32.3
Reb Margin: +3.0
Assists per game: 16.7
Assists allowed: 14.5
Turnovers: 15.1
Turnovers forced: 16.7
A/To Ratio: 1.1
Blocks: 4.3

Analysis: Transylvania returns 3 of 5 starters and 5 of their top 6 scorers from last season for this exhibition game with UK. The 2 Lexington Universities haven’t played one another since 2013, which was another exhibition game and a 76-42 UK win. The all-time regular season series is tied at 7-7 and was at one time quite a rivalry back in the early part of the 20th century when most of the official games were played. You may see different numbers on this series because Transylvania's name has changed. See Jon Scott’s page for more information on this rivalry. http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/rivalTransylvania.html

For their division and league, Transylvania should have a pretty good season this year. They are returning a significant portion of their scoring and leadership from a year ago. They played several freshmen and sophomores big minutes last season and that should pay dividends for them for the 2018-19 season. In one sense, you could say they picked a good year for an exhibition with the cross-town Goliath, but in another sense, given the talent and depth on this particular UK team, it will make little difference in the outcome.

The top returning scorers are all guards who all started every game last season for the Pioneers. Gabe Schmitt is a 6-2 170lb Junior shooting guard who averaged 12.1 points per game last year and led the team shooting 43.8% from beyond the arc. If you give him daylight, he will burn you. The straw which stirs the drink for Transy is sophomore Michael Jefferson, a 6-2 165lb point guard who averaged 9.8 points, 3.3 assists, and 3 rebounds per game last season. The other wing in this 3-guard line-up is Senior Cooper Theobald, a 6-1 170lb guard who scored 11.7pts, had 3 assists, and led the team with 6.1 rebounds per game. He also got to the line more than anyone else on the team and scores most of his points on drives to the basket and points off rebounds in the lane.

The big man in the middle last season was Kyle Gullett, a 6-6 210lb senior who is now gone from the team. He is replaced in the forward position by Bo Schuh, a 6-6 205lb Senior forward who averaged 8.6 points and 4.2 rebounds per game last year. Another guy who will likely enter the line-up is Spencer McKinney, a 6-4 180lb Junior who has played a little bit of guard and forward and averaged 6.8 points, 2.8 rebounds, and 1.7 assists last season. We may see Will Anderson start this game because he has some size at 6-7, though he’s not much of a scoring threat. We may also see a bit of G Devin Twenty who is a little spark-plug at 5-11 and a bit of Spencer Hemmerich as well. I know nothing of the freshmen class which goes 15-deep, so I don’t know what we will see of them. I figure there will be a couple of those guys called up from the JV to fill out the roster here, but I doubt they will make much of an impact on the game.

My prediction for this game: PAIN (See: Clubber Lang)

I was an undersized college FORWARD back in the late 1970s, and I was the size (6'5'' 210, but listed at 6'6'') of Transy's CENTER. Not much of a test for Nick and EJ. Ah well, it'll get real soon enough -- Marques Bolden is out there waiting.

I was a 6’3 Center in college, gave me a late start for playing high level European pro ball but that’s what happens when you are a super athlete and strong. Had to laugh at the Bolden comment. We all thought he was going to be very good when he was getting recruited but these past two seasons in college and during Dukes Canada trip it’s pretty obvious that he’s the exact opposite of very good lol

I was an undersized college FORWARD back in the late 1970s, and I was the size (6'5'' 210, but listed at 6'6'') of Transy's CENTER. Not much of a test for Nick and EJ. Ah well, it'll get real soon enough -- Marques Bolden is out there waiting.

Prediction...

TC1.gif

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I look forward to this every year. Thanks for all you do. Kyle Macy was one of my favorite player to watch.

This is really good stuff. Thank you. I was curious about their size. I was hoping we’d get to see at least one big guy cause some issues, but not in this one unfortunately. I was hoping the big men would get a test before Duke, maybe the next one will grant that.

I'll be surprised if we dont beat them 95 to 45. If we beat pro Euro teams by 40 and low scoring efforts against us, this team had better bring a few ambulances. God I cant wait for college basketball to start.

This is really good stuff. Thank you. I was curious about their size. I was hoping we’d get to see at least one big guy cause some issues, but not in this one unfortunately. I was hoping the big men would get a test before Duke, maybe the next one will grant that.
They do have a freshman from Sydney, Australia who is 6-8 220 named Luke Schroeder, but I don't know if he will play in this game. Even if he did, I can't imagine he'd be a guy who would cause our big men much trouble.

Considering who we are playing... Cal and the guys wont want to run the score up too high....... So I think we'll slack off on the defensive end in the 2nd half and the score will be something like 106-61

Transylvania University Pioneers
Head Coach: Brian Lane
Asst Coach: Kyle Macy
DIII Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Transylvania Press Release: http://www.transysports.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20180802jmtbe4

Last season’s results…
Overall: 17-9, home: 9-5, Away 7-4
Finished 4th in HCAC Conference with a 12-6 record
Starters lost: 2
Starters returning: 3

Game info: Kentucky vs Transylvania (exh.) Rupp Arena,
Friday, October 26 7pm EST, TV: SEC Network

Probable Starters
#15 G Gabe Schmitt 6-2 170 Jr 12.1pts, 2.6reb, 2.3ast, 43.8% 3fg
#21 G Cooper Theobald 6-1 170 Sr 11.7pts, 6.1reb, 3ast, drives, slashes, started all
#10 G Michael Jefferson 6-2 165 So, 9.8pts, 3.3ast, 3.0reb, started all
#11 F Bo Schuh 6-6 205 Sr 8.6pts, 4.2reb, 36.2% from 3fg
#14 G/F Spencer McKinney 6-4 180 Jr 6.8pts, 2.8reb, 1.7ast

Key Reserves
#20 G Devin Twenty 5-11 165 So 4.5pts, 1.1reb, 1ast
#31 G Spencer Hemmerich 6-2 195 So 2.8pts, 0.8reb
#25 F Will Anderson 6-7 185 So 2.1pts, 1.2reb
#12 G Will Sivills 6-3 180 So 1.7pts
#0 G Gavin Root 6-0 175 So 1.5pts
#22 F Lucas Gentry 6-5 205 So 1.3pts

I have not included the freshman class, which is massive and includes 15 players. They have a JV team, so most of those freshmen won’t dress out for this game. I’m not sure which ones will, so I left them all out. To see the complete roster, (I think they nearly ran out of numbers) check here: http://www.transysports.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/roster

Team stats: (2017-18)
Point per game: 82.1
Points allowed: 77.7
FG%: 49.3%
FG% allowed: 46.1%
FT%: 71%
Rebounds: 35.3
Reb allowed: 32.3
Reb Margin: +3.0
Assists per game: 16.7
Assists allowed: 14.5
Turnovers: 15.1
Turnovers forced: 16.7
A/To Ratio: 1.1
Blocks: 4.3

Analysis: Transylvania returns 3 of 5 starters and 5 of their top 6 scorers from last season for this exhibition game with UK. The 2 Lexington Universities haven’t played one another since 2013, which was another exhibition game and a 76-42 UK win. The all-time regular season series is tied at 7-7 and was at one time quite a rivalry back in the early part of the 20th century when most of the official games were played. You may see different numbers on this series because Transylvania's name has changed. See Jon Scott’s page for more information on this rivalry. http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/rivalTransylvania.html

For their division and league, Transylvania should have a pretty good season this year. They are returning a significant portion of their scoring and leadership from a year ago. They played several freshmen and sophomores big minutes last season and that should pay dividends for them for the 2018-19 season. In one sense, you could say they picked a good year for an exhibition with the cross-town Goliath, but in another sense, given the talent and depth on this particular UK team, it will make little difference in the outcome.

The top returning scorers are all guards who all started every game last season for the Pioneers. Gabe Schmitt is a 6-2 170lb Junior shooting guard who averaged 12.1 points per game last year and led the team shooting 43.8% from beyond the arc. If you give him daylight, he will burn you. The straw which stirs the drink for Transy is sophomore Michael Jefferson, a 6-2 165lb point guard who averaged 9.8 points, 3.3 assists, and 3 rebounds per game last season. The other wing in this 3-guard line-up is Senior Cooper Theobald, a 6-1 170lb guard who scored 11.7pts, had 3 assists, and led the team with 6.1 rebounds per game. He also got to the line more than anyone else on the team and scores most of his points on drives to the basket and points off rebounds in the lane.

The big man in the middle last season was Kyle Gullett, a 6-6 210lb senior who is now gone from the team. He is replaced in the forward position by Bo Schuh, a 6-6 205lb Senior forward who averaged 8.6 points and 4.2 rebounds per game last year. Another guy who will likely enter the line-up is Spencer McKinney, a 6-4 180lb Junior who has played a little bit of guard and forward and averaged 6.8 points, 2.8 rebounds, and 1.7 assists last season. We may see Will Anderson start this game because he has some size at 6-7, though he’s not much of a scoring threat. We may also see a bit of G Devin Twenty who is a little spark-plug at 5-11 and a bit of Spencer Hemmerich as well. I know nothing of the freshmen class which goes 15-deep, so I don’t know what we will see of them. I figure there will be a couple of those guys called up from the JV to fill out the roster here, but I doubt they will make much of an impact on the game.

My prediction for this game: PAIN (See: Clubber Lang)

Wow they are small... that's what she said.

Gotta protect our players from this:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

source.gif

giphy.gif

SomberInconsequentialGroundhog-max-1mb.gif

bd846ff55ad3f04fbb0122be3e0ecaaf.gif

Happy Halloween BBN....

Considering who we are playing... Cal and the guys wont want to run the score up too high....... So I think we'll slack off on the defensive end in the 2nd half and the score will be something like 106-61

And Keldon Johnson goes wild and crazy.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You can't tame him. He'll get in our own players face if they slack off.

Coach Cal will sit back and relax .

(Actually, I have no idea what'll happen. We just have one crazy dude)

I'd like to see Brad get a couple chances at a good three attempt. Seems he is always taking a hurried three. Sure would be great if he could hit a couple at any time during that game... Oh to think what would happen if he could pull a Tay tantrum with more than two threes...

I'd like to see Brad get a couple chances at a good three attempt. Seems he is always taking a hurried three. Sure would be great if he could hit a couple at any time during that game... Oh to think what would happen if he could pull a Tay tantrum with more than two threes...

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you get your wish BBUK. I have a feeling Brad is going to get a bunch of minutes and opportunities.

Reactions: BBUK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT