12/11/14 ELON W 78-73
12/13/14 XAVIER L 58-74
12/20/14 vs Illinois L 59-62
12/30/14 OKLAHOMA STATE L o t 72-74
01/3/15 LIPSCOMB W 72-60
01/8/15 LSU Wot 74-67
01/10/15 at Auburn L 79-85

Probable Starters

F Johnathan Williams III 6-9 225 So 13.7 ppg, 7.1reb, 0.9 ast, .479fg, .642ft, .308 3fg
F Jakeenan Gant 6-8 207 Fr 6.5 ppg, 2.5 reb, .571fg, .667ft, .125 3fg
G Namon Wright 6-5 200 Fr 5.4 ppg, 2.1 reb, .462 fg, .500 ft, .474 3fg
G Wes Clark 6-0 185 So 9.4 ppg, 3.6reb, 2.9 ast 1.8 steals , .346fg, .794 ft, .327 3fg
G Keith Shamburger 5-11 170 Sr 9.1 ppg, 3.2 reb, 3.1 ast, 1.1 steals, 2.2 to, .432fg, .886ft, .386 3fg

Bench

G Tramaine Isabell 6-0 180 Fr 5.3ppg, 1.2 reb, 1.6 ast, 1.1to, .347fg, .850ft, .306 3fg
F D'Angelo Allen 6-7 220 Fr 4.3 ppg, 3.5 reb, .481 fg, .600 ft, .375 3fg
F Ryan Rosburg 6-10 264 Jr 2.7 ppg, 3.4 reb, .439fg, .185ft, .000 3fg
C Keanau Post 6-11 270 Sr 3.3 ppg, 3.2 reb, .548fg, .692 ft, .000 3fg
G Deuce Bello 6-4 198 Jr 2.9 ppg, 1.3 reb, 0.2 ast, .650fg, .200ft, .571 3fg

OUT with back injury

G Montaque Gill-Caesar 6-6 215 Fr 11.5 ppg 3.7reb, .362fg, .818ft, .358 3fg

Team stats

Points per game 66.9
Points allowed 68.4
Scoring margin -1.5
Field goal pct .428
Field goal D .418
3-point FG pct .361
3-point D .337
Free throw pct .675
Rebounds per game 34.3
Rebounds allowed 35.0
Rebounding margin -0.7
Assists per game 10.7
Turnovers per game 13.7
Turnover margin -1.1
Assist/turnover ratio 0.8
Steals per game 6.4
Blocks per game 3.1

Analysis
Well it has been confirmed that Gill-Caesar, the Tigers' most dangerous wing player and second leading scorer, will be out for this game. It should be noted, Missouri beat LSU without Gill-Caesar, so I would hope UK takes them seriously. I expect they will after our first two conference games going to OT. He will be replaced in the line-up by 6-5 shooting guard Namon Wright, who is a bit better 3pt shooter but isn't nearly as versatile as Gill-Caesar. Wright has been their best offense from the bench but now is forced into the starting line-up. The loss of G-C hurts Missouri in multiple ways. He was one of the few players on their roster who could create his own shot and he's also one of their best athletes in general. His absence will hurt their depth as well.

Looking at Missouri, they've struggled this season, and that's putting it mildly. New head coach Kim Anderson has had a tough assignment in his first season at Mizzou, after being hired from DII Central Mo last Spring. Last season's Tiger team lost as much as just about any other team in the SEC. Jabari Brown, Jordan Clarkson, and Earnest Ross formed a guard trio that was one of the best in the nation. Their best returning player is easily Jonathan Williams III, who started every game last season for the Tigers and has done the same this year. He's their anchor down low. He leads the team in scoring and rebounding and is second in blocked shots. The other returning starter from last season, Ryan Rossburg, began this season as a starter but has found himself on the bench more often than not in Missouri's last few games. He lost his starting job to Jakeenan Gant, a 6-8 freshman who didn't play the first 9 games of the season. Gant is much more mobile and athletic than Rossburg, and is able to produce better.

On the perimeter, Missouri relies on Keith Shamburger and their best returning guard from last season, Wes Clark. These 2 make the team go and are virtually tied for team leader in assists at better than 3 per game. They are also 3rd and 4th in scoring, both coming in at around 9 points per game. Shamburger is the better shooter of the two while Clark is more likely to drive and try to score in the lane. The biggest trouble with Missouri's backcourt is their lack of assists. The team has a terrible assist/to ratio. They have about 11 assists to 14 turnovers per game, and that just won't cut it.

Deuce Bello, the Baylor transfer, is a bit of an enigma on this team. He seems to be one of those guys with some talent that just can't get his attitude right and seems to struggle with the team concept. I've been searching for some info on him. He averaged 10 minutes per game through the first 11 games but he hasn't even played a minute since the Illinois game back on December 20. I haven't seen a word about any injury. He may be already on his way out the door, but I'm not sure.

When Missouri goes to the bench, there aren't many great options available. Rossburg doesn't produce much in regard to points and rebounds, but he's a big body. Bello hasn't seen the floor. Their best bench players are probably Tramaine Isabell and D'Angelo Allen, both freshmen. Isabell is one of the few players in the team with an a/to ratio on the plus side and Allen is a fairly athletic wing player who is still trying to find himself at the D1 level. Both these guys can shoot the ball fairly well if open. The other guy we'll see tonight is Keanau Post, a beefy 6-11 270 senior and junior college transfer last season. He only plays 10 minutes a game but he's in there to carve out space and defend.

If I were to pinpoint a strength of this Missouri team, I think it would be their 3pt shooting. They come in shooting 36% as a team and have 4 different guys who shoot it better than 35% on the season. If I were looking for a way the Tigers might be able to pull an upset, that would be it. Inside, they just lack any real beef at all in their starting line-up. They will have to double-team UK's post players every time they touch the ball. They may have to insert Rossburg or Post into the game just for size and strength alone. Trouble is, neither of these guys are big scoring threats, and Missouri will need more points. I expect that their formula against UK will be the same as others- they will pack it in the paint with a zone and dare UK to shoot it from the perimeter, hoping the Cats are off.

This game will be a tall task for Missouri. As with everyone else UK plays, I fully expect the Tigers will play their best game. They've played well in their big games of late, taking OK State to OT before losing and then beating a talented LSU team. If they can hit their threes and keep UK from getting going, they have the talent to stay in the game. But this game is at Rupp and the Tigers still haven't played well away from home, with a 1-5 record in road/neutral games. I also expect that UK will come out ready to play defense in this game like they were playing earlier in the season. If they do, Missouri will struggle. These games are impossible to predict, but if I were to make a prediction, it would be: Kentucky 76 Missouri 60
This post was edited on 1/13 12:46 PM by IL Wildcat

Thanks for the breakdown. I looked at their roster yesterday and the thing that jumped out at me is they are a young team. I think I counted only 4 guys that are Jrs. or Srs.

I hope the Cats defense is back on track this game. I need to watch an easy one.

Very good analysis. Thanks a lot. I think the Cats win by about 16-18 tonight.

Good stuff, thanks. I didn't realize they shot that we'll from 3. I also hope our guys take them serious as that seems to be the thing lacking in the past two games.

Damn, Deuce Bello has been a bust. Remember when we were recruiting him and Quincy Miller as a package deal?

IIRC Bello got a little time in that regional final game we played with Baylor in 2012.

All I remember about him was that he was a freakish dunker but had no other game to speak of.

Shamburger? IIRC that's what we called the Obamacare bill.

Anyway, be prepared for a streetfight with the refs tonight. MO sucks so they will try to muck up this game and punch us in the groin and stuff.

Originally posted by tmuck:
Damn, Deuce Bello has been a bust. Remember when we were recruiting him and Quincy Miller as a package deal?
lol yeah. Now, Bello is invisible in Missouri and Miller is playing for the Reno Bighorns. But remember, as long as you're a probable NBA talent, it doesn't matter what school you go to! Haha

So what you're telling me is that Namon Wright is going to go off for 28 on 6/9 3pt shooting.

Great write-up, though!

Originally posted by LineSkiCat:
So what you're telling me is that Namon Wright is going to go off for 28 on 6/9 3pt shooting.

Great write-up, though!
My bet is on Rosberg.

Originally posted by Rhavicc:
Originally posted by LineSkiCat:

Great write-up, though!
My bet is on Rosberg.
Haha! If you're looking for the most unlikely person to go off and hit a bunch of threes, Rossberg would be it. It seems to happen in every home game for our Cats. Some no-name guy who hasn't scored more than 5 points all season steps up and kills us.

But realistically, Rossberg even taking a three would likely get him benched. Ha! He hasn't even taken a 3. Namon Wright would be a better candidate for that role tonight. But I must admit thinking of Rossberg doing it made me chuckle.
happy.r191677.gif

This team is tiny. We need to dominate them from the start....get it inside, be strong with the ball, live at the FT line.

I finally found an explanation on Deuce Bello. Apparently it's an academic issue that has been keeping him out of any game action. He's suspended according to the notes at the bottom of this USA Today article which talks about Missouri's win over LSU...

Here is the comment I'm talking about...

"Missouri: Junior Deuce Bello missed his third consecutive game while suspended for academic reasons, while freshman Montaque Gill-Caesar sat out with a back injury stemming from a flagrant foul committed by Illinois on Dec. 20. ... Wes Clark scored 13 points."

USA Today Missouri defeats LSU

I can see Bello being the one to torch us with increased playing time while gill-caesar is out. I'd say they end up at least twice the steals and holding their own in the rebound department with the increased effort and intensity because they're playing Kentucky. Hell, we might even get a "Devan Downey Double" with Namon Wright having a career night along with Bello....

They'll be hitting contested perimeter shots out the wazoo, 3 pointers like they're an acrobat in a circus show, all the while getting a favorable Rupp Arena AWAY GAME whistle while their boys hack, grab, push, shove, and sumo wrestle while their guards slap the ball away. They'll hit 90% free throws and end up getting 2-3 starters fouled out to even things up. Just wait and see.

Also, look for the double foul streak to continue...

UK 92
Mizzou 89 (in triple OT, after the OT game that proceeds us, making us miss ten minutes of the first half, at least)

that should about cover, it - right?
wink.r191677.gif

I sure hope not runt. Man I don't think my blood pressure can take another overtime game. I'm hoping our defensive intensity, which has been MIA in the last games, will be back to 100% tonight.

I think the fact that this is a night game will be helpful too. Our guys haven't done well with early starts this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT