ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Padgett has a 285-pound son who wants to play football at UK

You can always use a brawler on the O-Line.

DwFWgz1WkAEqOum.jpg

Reactions: gokentucky
I don't know if it is still the case, but when I lived in Birmingham 20 years ago, Homewood was a football powerhouse. So, if that is still true and he is starting, the kid can really play.

Reactions: Girthang
Wonder if he is done growing? If he has a growth spurt and gets closer to his dad's height he might not be able to stay at that position. Seems like most centers are closer to 6' than 6'9" (I think that was Scott's height at Kentucky).

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I don't know if it is still the case, but when I lived in Birmingham 20 years ago, Homewood was a football powerhouse. So, if that is still true and he is starting, the kid can really play.

Just checked and they do appear to still be pretty solid. Out of the last 3 seasons, they've only lost 1 regular season game 2 of the years, and the other year they lost 2.

Would be pretty cool to have a legacy kid. Still, looking at his film he doesn't seem to have a ton of explosion off the ball and he seems to rely pretty heavily on strength to turn a smaller player. Of course, I am not an expert by any means.

Would be pretty cool to have a legacy kid. Still, looking at his film he doesn't seem to have a ton of explosion off the ball and he seems to rely pretty heavily on strength to turn a smaller player. Of course, I am not an expert by any means.
I can't seem to pick whether or not he just won't be very athletic or if he's still growing and could become quite athletic. Moves okay out in space, has good leverage once he does make contact with someone because he can get people turned very easily. You are correct though, he's sluggish off the snap.

If the kid was serious about football, I would suggest speed training. Just work on speed, speed, speed. Getting better with his footwork and explosion will help him drastically. Now like someone said above, he could be growing like a weed and his athleticism just hasn't caught up yet. It happens. But if he's going to be as tall as his father 6' 6" plus, he might need to play tackle, he'll be MUCH too tall for center.

Reactions: Soupbean
I can't seem to pick whether or not he just won't be very athletic or if he's still growing and could become quite athletic. Moves okay out in space, has good leverage once he does make contact with someone because he can get people turned very easily. You are correct though, he's sluggish off the snap.

If the kid was serious about football, I would suggest speed training. Just work on speed, speed, speed. Getting better with his footwork and explosion will help him drastically. Now like someone said above, he could be growing like a weed and his athleticism just hasn't caught up yet. It happens. But if he's going to be as tall as his father 6' 6" plus, he might need to play tackle, he'll be MUCH too tall for center.

Agree with this. That is what I saw on the film as well. He turned players really easily. I think that was in part because of leverage and in part because he was likely bigger than them.

One thing that is interesting is that he is 6'4 285. That is already pretty large to be playing HS center. So, that may be a good sign or a bad sign. A good sign because it might indicate that he has somewhat shot up in height and as you say is still somewhat adjusting. A bad sign because it might mean that he just isn't athletic enough to play guard/tackle where he would have to have better footwork and/or have to pull more. I suppose, to be fair, it could also just mean that they have no one else who can snap the ball. haha

Reactions: KentuckyTexan
Agree with this. That is what I saw on the film as well. He turned players really easily. I think that was in part because of leverage and in part because he was likely bigger than them.

One thing that is interesting is that he is 6'4 285. That is already pretty large to be playing HS center. So, that may be a good sign or a bad sign. A good sign because it might indicate that he has somewhat shot up in height and as you say is still somewhat adjusting. A bad sign because it might mean that he just isn't athletic enough to play guard/tackle where he would have to have better footwork and/or have to pull more. I suppose, to be fair, it could also just mean that they have no one else who can snap the ball. haha
Lol. Honestly that might be the case. May be the only lineman that can push people so why not put him in the middle and just run up the gut almost every time.

Don't know why, but it reminds me of my dad telling me about Durrel White at Middlesboro where they'd set up 8 people on the line and just have White run side to side based on what the other team ran. It was the reason he lead the state his senior year in tackles if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Lol. Honestly that might be the case. May be the only lineman that can push people so why not put him in the middle and just run up the gut almost every time.

Don't know why, but it reminds me of my dad telling me about Durrel White at Middlesboro where they'd set up 8 people on the line and just have White run side to side based on what the other team ran. It was the reason he lead the state his senior year in tackles if I'm not mistaken.
Durrell was fun to watch good guy to

Reactions: The-Hack
Durrell was fun to watch good guy to
Met him a couple of times at the Middlesboro Mall when I was growing up in Barbourville. It was always so neat to see him when I was still 12 years old. Was already almost as tall as he was at 12 as well!

My daughter graduated from Homewood in 1989 they were good during her time there losing to Garden in state championship game. Recruits that went to Auburn and LSU among other schools. That whole area plays great football. The quality of high school football down there compared to most of Kentucky is much better, only the teams in Louisville and Lexington would be competitive down there. Ky and Al have similar population but they will have over 100 more schools that play football. They take football serious, the way this state used to take basketball.

Go get em and bring em home! If he can play with the fire and work ethic that our other Kentucky OL have played with recently, he'll be coached up and play multiple positions. This staff has been great at recruiting and developing those posituons

Wonder if he is done growing? If he has a growth spurt and gets closer to his dad's height he might not be able to stay at that position. Seems like most centers are closer to 6' than 6'9" (I think that was Scott's height at Kentucky).

Someone posted a while back that the best pro centers were around 6’3”, not sure where he got his info.

Yeah, surely we can make room for him. Im not gonna breakdown film, but if hes that size and is starting down there in Alabama, Im sure we can use him.

Living in homewood, I have been around him. Wide build and good kid, although I have never seen him play. he volunteers to help with Many different youth sporting events, so I can say high character for sure. Plus, his mother is an all world athlete

My grandson is a 6 ft 4 290 lbs pulling guard for Wheelersburg Ohio he's too big to be a center

Heck, when Curry was here half the roster was "legacy" kids. What could it hurt Stoops giving one to a kid?

My grandson is a 6 ft 4 290 lbs pulling guard for Wheelersburg Ohio he's too big to be a center
I lived in Jackson county for 3 years. How is Wheelersburg going to be this year? Their boys programs are always good. I don’t know if you follow basketball there but what do you think of Norm persin taking the valley job after retiring?

Reactions: Burgcatfan
I lived in Jackson county for 3 years. How is Wheelersburg going to be this year? Their boys programs are always good. I don’t know if you follow basketball there but what do you think of Norm persin taking the valley job after retiring?
The football team will be ok but lost a lot of talent last year at the skill positions . Wow I hadn't heard stormin Norman went to valley that will be interesting especially when they play oak hill

No he camped there last year and was invited to the main camp this year but of course the virus shut all that down I think he could have made a good impression on the coaching staff this year
Maybe not a fair question to ask a grandpa(l'm one), but do you think he's good enough to play at UK? If so you can send lots of video to fb office. Good luck

Reactions: Burgcatfan
Does he have offers? There is always the walkon route...we've had guys like Toth, Bovier and others who were quite successful. Best of luck to him grandpa!!
He has a few nothing notable because of the virus Cincinnati seems interested and I think West Virginia wants him to come up for a visit

Maybe not a fair question to ask a grandpa(l'm one), but do you think he's good enough to play at UK? If so you can send lots of video to fb office. Good luck
How can I send his videos to the FB office I don't know how I'd be the proudest grandpa around lol

ADVERTISEMENT