ADVERTISEMENT

Scary thing to consider: What happens when the shots start falling for Fredrick?

HH, the sarcastic side of me said "if" instead of when. Then it went further by saying " it must be a sign of end times fulfillment".

But then I stopped there.

Even the passion for my sarcastic side has dried up. It's difficult to post anything positive anymore, the state of the way things are.

But I appreciate your positive vibe. Maybe thats what us old blue hairs out here on the board need. Instead of hating every positive thought you post.

It's ashame to have come this far to find the state of kentucky basketball where it is today.

but I'll try to end on a positive note :

Go Big Blue

Never really understood why great shooters sometimes cave under the lights. Watch them in warm-ups and then in front of 23,000. Some players are just prime time and some are not.
It's like the difference between batting practice and live, in-game pitching. Night and day.
When I go to a game early and watch players shoot, they all look like great shooters. The nets are full.
But, there is no defensive pressure. Everybody is relaxed and shooting casually, working on form.
When the shot clock is ticking, people are in your shorts and you are fatigued from playing all-out on the defensive end ... things change and it's more difficult to hit shots. To me, it's that simple. For us, that is why getting the ball quickly up the court with Wheeler (or whoever is at the point) and shooters getting to their spots is so vital. We are better shooters when we can beat the defense up the floor with the ball.

Fredrick is valuable for more than just shooting. He helps us on offense by making defenses have to account for him. That is important for spacing.

Now when teams/coaches realize that he is struggling and quit guarding him all over the floor and he still doesn’t make shots, it’s time for him to sit the bench.

But for now he does enough other things besides shoot to justify his minutes.

I do wish Cal would play him less, though. He needs to stay fresh for the whole season and Thiero and Livingston need more experience.
That can only last for so long. At some point, and we may not be far from it, coaches are going to say he's no more a threat than others. Going forward they already have to consider Reeves the bigger threat. Probably Wallace too. If we have 2 of those 3 making shots, we will be tough to beat by anyone. Although I really wish Cal would get Onyenso ready by playing him more, so if/when we need it we can throw in a rim protecting shot blocker. And with Wallace, Reeves and Fredrick, I think Onyenso could play with Oscar playing 15' from the basket (but still crashing the glass when one of those 3 shoots).

It's like the difference between batting practice and live, in-game pitching. Night and day.
When I go to a game early and watch players shoot, they all look like great shooters. The nets are full.
But, there is no defensive pressure. Everybody is relaxed and shooting casually, working on form.
When the shot clock is ticking, people are in your shorts and you are fatigued from playing all-out on the defensive end ... things change and it's more difficult to hit shots. To me, it's that simple. For us, that is why getting the ball quickly up the court with Wheeler (or whoever is at the point) and shooters getting to their spots is so vital. We are better shooters when we can beat the defense up the floor with the ball.
I know UK/Rupp is the biggest stage in CB. But it's not like Iowa, playing at Michigan, at IU, at Ohio St, at Mich St, at Purdue, at Illinois is some kid who'se never left the hollars of eastern KY.

That can only last for so long. At some point, and we may not be far from it, coaches are going to say he's no more a threat than others. Going forward they already have to consider Reeves the bigger threat. Probably Wallace too. If we have 2 of those 3 making shots, we will be tough to beat by anyone. Although I really wish Cal would get Onyenso ready by playing him more, so if/when we need it we can throw in a rim protecting shot blocker. And with Wallace, Reeves and Fredrick, I think Onyenso could play with Oscar playing 15' from the basket (but still crashing the glass when one of those 3 shoots).
Like I said, when opposing coaches finally realize they are wasting energy chasing Fredrick, then Cal needs to bench him. If teams start playing him like Wheeler and we have to play 5 on 4, then he needs to sit. Until then, the threat of him shooting is enough to help our offense, so he needs to play.

All you fellas that like digging up crap from 3-4 yrs ago to dis me I figured I could search 2-4 pages.
You knew Fredrick wouldn't stay in a funk forever as he is an established assassin.
If Toppin and CJ are hitting shots we simple wont lose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT