ADVERTISEMENT

Scary thing to consider: What happens when the shots start falling for Fredrick?

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018
and its going to happen. The finger will be completely healed soon and once it is the Benny Five will start not just winning, but humiliating teams.

and its going to happen. The finger will be completely healed soon and once it is the Benny Five will start not just winning, but humiliating teams.
He disappeared in every big game before he hurt his finger. Not holding my breath.
But... devil's advocate, he is able to start hitting... he is not athletic enough to get his own shot... the coaches would have to scheme for him, and I don't think CCC is capable of that.

We get 3 points for every shot that goes through the orange hoop, but only when the shot is taken from behind the painted arch, which is 20' 9" from the center of the hoop.

All other shots taken from closer distance, will equal 2 points.

However, in the event a foul shot is taken, you are only awarded 1 point for each made basket, unless there is a lane violation. If the opposing team commits the lane violation, Frederick will get to shoot again. But, if Frederick's own teammate commits the violation, the shot is forfeited.

So, to answer your question, the result will be more points will be awarded to the Kentucky Wildcats.

They are falling like anvils so far. I have no confidence that he will make shots consistently for us.

We need to ride with Reeves and possibly give Thiero some run.

He hit almost every shot in warm up, but when we needed it he did like most games. Way downtown clang, I hope he figures it out, we won't go far unless both him and Reeves come to play every game imo.

Reactions: warrior-cat
He disappeared in every big game before he hurt his finger. Not holding my breath.
But... devil's advocate, he is able to start hitting... he is not athletic enough to get his own shot... the coaches would have to scheme for him, and I don't think CCC is capable of that.
I do tire of the narrative that offensively Cal is unable to get him open.

He had open look after open look against KU from deep, and missed all of them, many off good double screen action. Just as he has been open in numerous other big time games this year.

While I am ready for Cal to go (this disclaimer has to be put anytime someone says something that could conceived as positive about Cal because then you are labeled a Cal lover), CJ missing shots is on him, and no one else.

I do tire of the narrative that offensively Cal is unable to get him open.

He had open look after open look against KU from deep, and missed all of them, many off good double screen action. Just as he has been open in numerous other big time games this year.

While I am ready for Cal to go (this disclaimer has to be put anytime someone says something that could conceived as positive about Cal because then you are labeled a Cal lover), CJ missing shots is on him, and no one else.
In the KU game I agree. However, most of his “open looks” have someone closing out. They’re still rushed shots. The KU game though, he was WIDE open.

However, in the event a foul shot is taken, you are only awarded 1 point for each made basket, unless there is a lane violation. If the opposing team commits the lane violation, Frederick will get to shoot again. But, if Frederick's own teammate commits the violation, the shot is forfeited.

What if someone tries to block one of his free throws?

Then Fredrick would get two additional technical free throws.

Last edited:
Let’s see what happens when he gets that splint off his shooting hand.

I’ve noticed the rotation on the ball is different on some of his shots. Has to be annoying.

Yep. The switch has got to flip for him sometime. He shot too well at a Iowa for this to continue.

We get 3 points for every shot that goes through the orange hoop, but only when the shot is taken from behind the painted arch, which is 20' 9" from the center of the hoop.

All other shots taken from closer distance, will equal 2 points.

So, to answer your question, the result will be more points will be awarded to the Kentucky Wildcats.
One flew over the Cookoos nest

Reactions: kyjeff1
The Law of Averages dictates that he will have a hot streak. I just hope it is prolonged and is there when we most need it to be.

His shots will start falling and Cal will start forgetting he’s on the bench. Usually happens when a player gets a little momentum.

I’m starting to think he’s another Josh Carrier. I don’t think he missed a shot in4 years in practice. Don’t think he ever made one in a game.

If his finger is the reason he can’t make shots then he shouldn’t be playing.

UK-Goal350.gif

ss_20230114_123627472_2156993.jpg

The Law of Averages dictates that he will have a hot streak. I just hope it is prolonged and is there when we most need it to be.
Some believe that since he was a 46% career 3pt shooter that he will shoot that this year. So if he’s attempted 1/2 his eventual 3’s for the season (making 33%), then he will make 59% the remainder of the season (to reach 46% overall). While I don’t buy into that, it is a very nice fantasy!

Reactions: AGEE11
One problem with Frederick and reeves earlier was their feet were never lined up for the shot, so they were shooting off balance threes, reeves has gotten better Frederick has open looks but a lot of times he still doesn’t get his feet lined up

I know, I know. What happens when the entire team starts hitting 3’s, playing defense, and they all start playing like Jordan. We win a NC.

It’s not him it’s them. Hate has taken over the souls of so many people. Schizophrenic posters with bi-polar are in control.

He hit almost every shot in warm up, but when we needed it he did like most games. Way downtown clang, I hope he figures it out, we won't go far unless both him and Reeves come to play every game imo.
That has been a point for a few over the years at UK. In practice, light it up, but in real time...KLANK.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
In the KU game I agree. However, most of his “open looks” have someone closing out. They’re still rushed shots. The KU game though, he was WIDE open.
Fredrick has had at least 20 of the most open looks I’ve seen in a college basketball game, like warmup shoot-around level of uncontested. He has bricked all but a few. I can blame the coaching staff for a lot of things, but scheming open looks for our shooters isn’t one of them.

Never really understood why great shooters sometimes cave under the lights. Watch them in warm-ups and then in front of 23,000. Some players are just prime time and some are not.

Chris Harrison, Josh Carrier, Darnell Dotson, and now CJ. I know he hurt his finger but what has happened to CJ? A career 46% 3pt shooter has completely lost his shooting edge. All his shots are good shots within the flow of the offense. It's in his head now. Hopefully he'll catch fire soon. We need him. Threeves is what I thought CJ would be from behind the arc.

IF he catches fire, and Reeves continues shooting like he is, this team is dangerous.

As long as the man in charge doesn't stall ball with 4 to go and depend on Gary Coleman to score with 5 on the shot clock... on second thought, we're doomed.

Fredrick is valuable for more than just shooting. He helps us on offense by making defenses have to account for him. That is important for spacing.

Now when teams/coaches realize that he is struggling and quit guarding him all over the floor and he still doesn’t make shots, it’s time for him to sit the bench.

But for now he does enough other things besides shoot to justify his minutes.

I do wish Cal would play him less, though. He needs to stay fresh for the whole season and Thiero and Livingston need more experience.

ADVERTISEMENT