ADVERTISEMENT

Santiago Vescovi

I almost started a thread on the same thing.

2 seasons ago he averaged nearly 14PPG as a Sophomore and I remember thinking he was going to be a stud by the time he's a senior.

To see him 2 seasons later, averaging career lows across the board, only 6PPG (less than his freshman year) and just be a completely worse player is really something.

It is weird to me...knock on wood but he doesn't seem to be half the player he was earlier in his career at UT.
I have thought this as well. Not just in our games against them. Seems like early he was going to be a really good player and lately can't even shoot.

Reactions: H00SIER-Cat
It is weird to me...knock on wood but he doesn't seem to be half the player he was earlier in his career at UT.
Yeah, his scoring average took a big drop this year. I think part of that is just because of the addition of Dalton Knecht. Adding an elite scorer of Knecht’s caliber means fewer shots Vescovi needs to be taking.

And Vescovi’s always had a basic problem in that he’s really slow-footed for a small-ish guard and has to really work hard to get open. If his teammates ain’t setting screens for him …which they no longer do as much … he’s gonna struggle to get open looks.

Reactions: bIhawk
Definitely regressed. I'm trying to think of guys who got worse without major injury. Anyone have any examples?
Alex Poythress comes to mind. I know he was injured in 2015, but was never as good as he was his freshman year.

Yep, I'd say Knecht's rise has led to Vescovi's demise. And the more Tennessee chooses to depend so heavily on Knecht, the more likely Tennessee is to meet their end.
Yep…”just pass it to Dalton”…”Dalton just go score”. There were times during that game where it seemed like he was the person on their team lol

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Definitely regressed. I'm trying to think of guys who got worse without major injury. Anyone have any examples?
At UK...few examples from when I was a kid I recall.

Rod Rhodes, Jared Prickett, Travis Ford

All are a bit different than Vescovi.

Hopefully he doesn't come back for his ninth season. Dude seems like he'd been there forever.
I think he’s finally done. So is Ziegler I believe. They are going to struggle next year (at last). I w need to probably ruin their fun one more time and then can bask in the flow of their season in flames.

I think he’s finally done. So is Ziegler I believe. They are going to struggle next year (at last). I w need to probably ruin their fun one more time and then can bask in the flow of their season in flames.
You can never assume this in this new era of NIL money and the transfer portal.

Losing starters no longer means what it once did. Programs with money and influence no longer rebuild, instead they reload. Don’t be surprised if UT entices some top tier transfers and is immediately good again.

Reactions: cathouse and bIhawk
You can never assume this in this new era of NIL money and the transfer portal.

Losing starters no longer means what it once did. Programs with money and influence no longer rebuild, instead they reload. Don’t be surprised if UT entices some top tier transfers and is immediately good again.
Jmo, I think Barnes retires after this year.

Yep, I'd say Knecht's rise has led to Vescovi's demise. And the more Tennessee chooses to depend so heavily on Knecht, the more likely Tennessee is to meet their end.
It was soooooooo obvious Cal's plan was to let Knecht has his ( as he is hard to stop so focus on stopping everyone else ) and it worked . It is no wonder the last minute they came back as THE TEAM did not Knecht. UT is at their most dangerous when James and that little bitch of pg ect are scoring ALONG with some from Knecht . UT is going to get bounced quick if they want to see the Knecht show as any good team will do what UK did . Green light to Knecht RED LIGHT to the UT team.

Man Prickett in his final year in 97 really was great though. He made such a great call redshirting in 96 as he was soooo vital to that run in 97 especially when DA went down.

Man Prickett in his final year in 97 really was great though. He made such a great call redshirting in 96 as he was soooo vital to that run in 97 especially when DA went down.

Yeah, I was thinking more of what people thought he would be after FR year.

Prickett and Ford's declining #'s are easy to explain: they both began their caareer playing w/ Mashburn and ended it w/out him. He elevated everybody's game; drew defenses to him like flies to hiney leaving prickett and ford open lanes and looks. As soon as he left, their lanes closed and wiiiiiiiide open looks ended.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT