ADVERTISEMENT

Sad Eyed Roy Williams

Apr 15, 2007
In the final minute of the UK-NC game the CBS camera zoomed in on Roy Williams, the retired tar heel coach, who was sitting courtside. He had the look of a sad eyed hound when it became obvious the cats were going to win the game. This only added to my enjoyment of UK's victory since I have nothing but disdane for "dadgum" Roy. My dislike for him goes back to the 89-90 season when as the head coach of the Kansas Jayhawks he deliberately ran up the score on Pitino's depleted first UK team. With about ten minutes remaining in the game Kansas was ahead by about 50 points and still had most of their starters in the game to include their all American power forward Randall. Pitino had used all of his timeouts trying everything to stem the Jayhawk offense. At about the ten minute mark, Williams yelled over to Pitino and asked him sarcastically if he could call a time out for him. Pitino responded "why don't you take Randall out".
The game ended in about a 60-65 point blowout. I remember during the post game radio show with Cawood that Pitino was very upset with Williams who was gloating over the lopsided victory. According to some of the UK fans who attended the game Williams had his chest run out so far "that you could have hung a washing out on it". I also remember that Pitino in general said on his radio show that we play Kansas in Rupp next year and his team would be ready. The next year Pitino's full court press, which had failed so miserably the previous year, worked to perfection and Ky defeated Kansas, with Randall, by double digits. Sweet revenge against "clean Roy"!

In the final minute of the UK-NC game the CBS camera zoomed in on Roy Williams, the retired tar heel coach, who was sitting courtside. He had the look of a sad eyed hound when it became obvious the cats were going to win the game. This only added to my enjoyment of UK's victory since I have nothing but disdane for "dadgum" Roy. My dislike for him goes back to the 89-90 season when as the head coach of the Kansas Jayhawks he deliberately ran up the score on Pitino's depleted first UK team. With about ten minutes remaining in the game Kansas was ahead by about 50 points and still had most of their starters in the game to include their all American power forward Randall. Pitino had used all of his timeouts trying everything to stem the Jayhawk offense. At about the ten minute mark, Williams yelled over to Pitino and asked him sarcastically if he could call a time out for him. Pitino responded "why don't you take Randall out".
The game ended in about a 60-65 point blowout. I remember during the post game radio show with Cawood that Pitino was very upset with Williams who was gloating over the lopsided victory. According to some of the UK fans who attended the game Williams had his chest run out so far "that you could have hung a washing out on it". I also remember that Pitino in general said on his radio show that we play Kansas in Rupp next year and his team would be ready. The next year Pitino's full court press, which had failed so miserably the previous year, worked to perfection and Ky defeated Kansas, with Randall, by double digits. Sweet revenge against "clean Roy"!
to be fair he did tell Pitino that if he would quit pressing he would call off the dogs

I remember listening to the beatdown on the radio. If memory serves me right, UK wasn’t allowed on TV. Also remember the payback, it was a beatdown of the eventual national runner-ups.

PzKEgCR.gif

I don't know, I kind of respect Roy for being a true UNC fan and still taking UNC losses to heart.
When Cal leaves or retires, I don't see him coming back and rooting us on in the stands like that.
Cal literally is meeting with former players, inviting them to come back to the program for no reason other than to be present, and constantly goes places to support previous players and former members of his coaching staff.

My guess is that based on his actions, he will be around for a long time assuming some of our fans don’t piss him off.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
I was at the Rupp game the next year. Top 5 Rupp crowd…we were all out for blood!

I was there too. Went with my dad when I was about 10. That was my first “big” game experience at Rupp as I’d only been to a couple cupcake games. That KU game and the Rupp crowd are a big part of why I became such a diehard fan.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
to be fair he did tell Pitino that if he would quit pressing he would call off the dogs
When I was a referee and a coach I always hated the coaches that tried to press when you called off the dogs. I always wanted the coach with the superior team to run up the score on those teams.

Cal literally is meeting with former players, inviting them to come back to the program for no reason other than to be present, and constantly goes places to support previous players and former members of his coaching staff.

My guess is that based on his actions, he will be around for a long time assuming some of our fans don’t piss him off.
Which why I suspect he will be in the stands of NBA games watching His players, not in the stands of Rupp watching Kentucky players recruited from the next coach. Maybe I'm wrong and he does come back once in a while, but I could more likely see a Bob Knight ego vs Indiana type scenario playing out. How often do we see Rick Pitino or Billy Gillespie stop by?

Which why I suspect he will be in the stands of NBA games watching His players, not in the stands of Rupp watching Kentucky players recruited from the next coach. Maybe I'm wrong and he does come back once in a while, but I could more likely see a Bob Knight ego vs Indiana type scenario playing out. How often do we see Rick Pitino or Billy Gillespie stop by?
The last time Rick was in town he gave us all the finger 😆 🤣 😂 😹

Tbf, the ONLY UK coach that went to every UK game he could was Joe B. Tubby has been to some I think.

The real reason he was so sad was the way Hubert used N abused those timeouts last night. That puzzled Roy why anyone would take a dad burn TO when a team goes on a run. He took his to the house with him. That Pitino story is funny too because you mentioned when he offered to call the timeout for Pitino. I always think how he probably already knew Roy didn't do timeout lol.

Roy's teams won alot of games but as a fan that'd be hard to watch if when a team went on a 18-0 run and your guy won't call a damn timeout. Then he got so stubborn they'll let em go on runs all the time and the coach still wouldn't call a timeout because he "don't have nothing else to say". It's like you don't have to say shit but stop this shit for a minute and then maybe they'll cool off in a timeout or something. Roy lost alot of games just from being stubborn like that.

Last edited:
You have to wait til they fully retire to make a case on this. It's not like they are coaching HS and have Saturdays off after they leave UK. They still playing same days as we are. I can see Tubby coming back often. Pitino will die while he still head coach of some program so he'll never be back. Cal would come back after he retired because he knows how coaches/players are remembered after they leave a little while. We will remember him in a better light once he is gone and he not in our face everyday. That's just how it usually works out. Then every year that ends with 2032,42,52 they'll have some reunions for the 2012 team.

I was at that game too, electric crowd, best ever that I saw. I remember the crowd were on their feet the whole game. We didn’t beat them as bad as I wanted to, but it was a beat down.
Wild how electric the crowds were when Pitino was here. Those 90s games and teams were remarkable. Good ole days.

Kentucky kept pressing and Kansas was beating the press and was shooting layups. You can't really tell your guys to not take those when there's nobody between you and the basket. The game probably would have been closer if Pitino had quit pressing and played half court defense.

Being a basketball fan, and what UNC is 'supposed' to stand for, I can never respect Roy Williams. He got rich and is living a very comfortable life for allowing no academics to continue with the Dean Smith tradition. And Smith was the one who tried to destroy basketball by stalling and ruining any semblance of a basketball game.
UNC will always be seen as corrupt and the SEC commissioner Sankey assisted them with avoiding ANY punishment. Don't forget who the ACC commissioner was the latter years of their cheating.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT