ADVERTISEMENT

Running thread

There are people finishing then but they're the turbo slow walkers. I think 80 walked, took an extended break, cried for 5 miles with a swollen testicle and finished in just over 3. The one year I didn't train and walked half of it I still finished under 3. 4+ hour 1/2 is not an easy task. If he did in fact do that I guess good for him because he's probably a big boy.

Good luck Lady Cat. Hope you have a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Enjoyed the Pig. Missed my goal by 20 minutes. Just wasn't ready. Only had 1 20 mile run since January. That toucher is hilly in spots. Well run though. Going to train harder in the future. Really going to debate spring races. Legs feel okay today, play to do 5 or so very slow tomorrow. Time to drop weight, run some hills, and do speed work.

Congrats, LD. I did the Flying Pig for my first half marathon several years ago and I remembered why Cincy is sometimes called the city of hills. Toucher is hillier than you realize. I'm with you on the spring face thing. Two years in a row I've gotten ready for a spring marathon and I'm just not sure I have it in my legs. This year was definitely harder due to snow and then the constant rain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lexie's Dad
How's the knee?

Getting scoped soon. I didn't realize how bad it was until the doc actually gave me some stuff to calm down the inflammation prior to surgery. However, now I can tell where the bone spur is as well. Ugh.

Feel great post op but I'm on restrictions for atleast another month and absolutely no running. This is hellish.

I've tried a bunch, and I live Airr-Orthotics by SofSole. I wear them to prevent plantar faciaitis and for overall comfort. They provide great support. You can find them at Dick's and Finish Line.

Any Paducah runners checked out PRCC. Was going to head over and pick up some gear today and it's closed on Monday? WTF [eyeroll]

Does anyone have any experience with Achilles issues? I'm running my first full marathon in a couple weeks (Flying Pig) and I felt a non-painful "pop" near the bottom of my left calf . Went ahead and finished the run (dumb I know, but I was 6 miles from home when it happened) and there was a little mild pain (mostly when running uphill), but nothing major. I'm just a little concerned I have a developing Achilles injury 2 weeks before my first marathon....

Anybody ever experience anything similar?

Never experienced a pop but I have had achilles issues that have gone on over the last few years. I bought a rolling stick and a buddy rec'd doing some calf raise type of stretches that seem to fix for the most part. Usually happens with increases in speed or volume for me.

That said, if I felt a pop I'd probably check out a doc. Achilles going down is the last thing in the world I'd want to mess with.

Any Paducah runners checked out PRCC. Was going to head over and pick up some gear today and it's closed on Monday? WTF [eyeroll]

I've only bought 2 pair of shoes there so far. Not bad since their grand opening is NEXT week.

Tuesday-Saturday. 10:00 - 6:00. Good shoes. Prices are okay. One pair of Altras for $120, another for $100. I'll save more when I get them from Amazon.

I'd be into the bikes but I really, really like Bike World and what Hutch and Martha have done for the community and I feel sort of dirty doing bike things anywhere else.

Check them out, it will be worth your time.

Oh - and they have group runs twice a week. 5:30 pm Tuesdays is speed work. 7:00 am Sunday is a long run (they're gearing towards Iron Mom, but I think they'll keep on going). I'm making it for the speed work, but do my long run on Saturday.

I'm running the full at Nashville April 30 - everyone says "it's hilly". I've run Loving the Hills, Flying Pig, and the LBL trail run and road course - how hilly is this really going to be?

Reactions: -BBH-
Never experienced a pop but I have had achilles issues that have gone on over the last few years. I bought a rolling stick and a buddy rec'd doing some calf raise type of stretches that seem to fix for the most part. Usually happens with increases in speed or volume for me.

That said, if I felt a pop I'd probably check out a doc. Achilles going down is the last thing in the world I'd want to mess with.
Agreed. Hopefully this doesn't mess up the Pig for you. It's a great race, you'll have a good experience.

I'm running the full at Nashville April 30 - everyone says "it's hilly". I've run Loving the Hills, Flying Pig, and the LBL trail run and road course - how hilly is this really going to be?

Ran it in 2011. Back then, the hills weren't all that steep as I recall, there were just a bunch of 'em. Not a PR course by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd be into the bikes but I really, really like Bike World and what Hutch and Martha have done for the community and I feel sort of dirty doing bike things anywhere else.

Check them out, it will be worth your time.

I'll stick with Bike World for the same reasons you mentioned and the fact that Hutch and Martha live in our neighborhood. Our best friend's son works summers there too. Excited to check out PRCC's running gear though.

I took the winter off running for multiple injuries. I am slowly getting back into the swing. Just some easy 2-3 mile runs right now. Been a year since I ran my last marathon. Will spend spring and summer getting back to normal. Hope to run the Bourbon this fall. Good luck on your run.

I'll stick with Bike World for the same reasons you mentioned and the fact that Hutch and Martha live in our neighborhood. Our best friend's son works summers there too. Excited to check out PRCC's running gear though.

I took the winter off running for multiple injuries. I am slowly getting back into the swing. Just some easy 2-3 mile runs right now. Been a year since I ran my last marathon. Will spend spring and summer getting back to normal. Hope to run the Bourbon this fall. Good luck on your run.

Thanks. If it doesn't conflict you should run the McCracken county half in November. Low fee. Nice route (from the HS, to the airport, through the information age park, and back). Nice long sleeve T. Ishy weather. I think it's the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

Reactions: -BBH-
Back home from my 3rd Boston yesterday. Probably my swan song there. Ran a 3:23:11, which should be around top 18% of the field. Little too warm and didn't feel all that great from medicine I've been taking for a strained piriformis. A literal pain in the butt.

With all that said, Boston is Boston! Awesome as always.

I'd literally give my left testicle to run Boston. Maybe when I get older and the competition starts to ween off. Just can't see me pulling off a 3hr marathon in the near future though.

On the flipside, I did somehow luck out and get a spot in NYC this year (lotto). Legal, course seems pretty difficult for one of the big boys right?

Back home from my 3rd Boston yesterday. Probably my swan song there. Ran a 3:23:11, which should be around top 18% of the field. Little too warm and didn't feel all that great from medicine I've been taking for a strained piriformis. A literal pain in the butt.

With all that said, Boston is Boston! Awesome as always.
Damn.

Read that the 4th place finisher is a diplomat from Kenya who ran 2:14:??. I did the math and figured him at a 5:06 average - for fourth. Six seconds from third IIRC. Meanwhile, on my planet I'm content at my age and current running condition to beat that time in a half (standind goal of beating 2:00, sometimes yes, sometimes no). :flushed:

I'd literally give my left testicle to run Boston. Maybe when I get older and the competition starts to ween off. Just can't see me pulling off a 3hr marathon in the near future though.

On the flipside, I did somehow luck out and get a spot in NYC this year (lotto). Legal, course seems pretty difficult for one of the big boys right?

New York is a somewhat challenging course with several hills and some tough bridges. You also finish on a hill in Central Park as one final insult. When I ran it in 2013 we had the extra fun of a 15-20 mph, northern, cold headwind for about the first 20 miles. Somehow managed a 3:32:23 out of that nonsense.

It's one of those bucket list courses though, so you definitely need to do it. You'll enjoy it once it's over!

Damn.

Read that the 4th place finisher is a diplomat from Kenya who ran 2:14:??. I did the math and figured him at a 5:06 average - for fourth. Six seconds from third IIRC. Meanwhile, on my planet I'm content at my age and current running condition to beat that time in a half (standind goal of beating 2:00, sometimes yes, sometimes no). :flushed:

That's Wesley Korir, who won it the first year I ran Boston in 2012. He ran at Murray State then ended up graduating from UL after Murray did away with his scholarship. I got to meet him later that year when he came back to speak at Murray hospital. Super, super nice and humble man.

Agreed. Hopefully this doesn't mess up the Pig for you. It's a great race, you'll have a good experience.

Well lots of rest and ice over the past couple weeks seems to have cleared it up for the most part - so I'm still planning on doing the Pig Sunday. I can feel the nerves starting to creep in. Not so much from the Achilles thing, more so just the anticipation of the race itself. Anyone else running it this Sunday?

I'm ok with this. Races are getting too crowded with everyone who wants to walk with their bestie.

Hammy issue has been lingering for 4 months now. Not 100% sure if it's hammy or sciatic related. I really feel like it's just hammy but then occasionally I think it's coming from hip/lowerback area. Laid off it for 3 weeks while I was sick back in Feb, didn't do any good, and that's just not an option again. Any ideas? Already pre/post stretching, rolling it out, chiropractor.

Aside from that, running at 8:30 again and really it would be low 8's if my first mile wasn't so slow allowing the hammy to warm up.

They take forever to heal. I tweaked mine one fall and it took until the next summer for it to chill out. Best I have found is to roll it, stretch it, do hamstring curls with a swiss ball, and at night, put Bio-Freeze on it.

I did, @anthonys735 . Yours sounds very similar to what I had. Mine was essentially the middle of my hammy to a little higher. The key was that if it really started to act up during a run, I would back off the intensity. I found doing the pigeon and lizard stretches was the best for loosening it up post run. Also, remember, your hamstrings could be compensating for weak quads which could have caused it, so give those a little love too.

Dead center of your rear end? Sounds like piriformis strain. I'm recovering from that right now.

Lots of good articles out there on how to make it go away. Rolling and stretching are a big part. Try changing your stride up a bit. Shorter strides and do forefoot strikes and push offs to avoid heel strikes. Also, might consider a couple week dose of steroids to get rid of the inflammation. I did 12 days of dexomethasone. Has some side effects, but it will dang sure make you feel like you can run forever.

One more thing. Piriformis issues can develop from weak glutes, so strength train the hell out of them.

I'm a cyclist, doubtful my quads are weak.

No pain in my ass. Back of my upper leg. Dead center of the hammy area. Dull pain. Fades when it gets warmed up, bothers me most during the day.

Get some anti-inflammatory steroids. Pain will disappear no matter what it is. Strength train, roll, and stretch during your dosing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT