ADVERTISEMENT

Royce White

Originally posted by UK:C-130:
High school - unspecified trouble
College (first 2 months) - arrested for shoplifting and shoving a security guard (first time offender? ... hmmm)
College (still first semester) - 3 counts trespassing in dorm rooms and suspected of stealing a laptop.

Now, please tell me this kid is not a criminal. This is where everyone squaks about "second chances" and Hitler comparisons. Would you trust this kid? I wouldn't. He chose to be a thief, so now he needs to change his trashy ways.

The high school unspecified trouble was widely reported to be cheating. He was kicked out of De La Salle.

Too big of a spotlight here. We do not need anyone who can't handle their business.

If a 5*, with a probable NBA future can't keep his dumb self from stealing then he shouldn't be wearing a UK jersey.

Really, when you think about it, who is the better Coach, the one who turns a "bad" kids life around or one who just takes "good" kids to keep his program looking good?

I think a team needs to be a good mix. Think about our team this past season. We had a great role model in Patterson leading a kid like Cousins with a questionable attitude. I guarantee Cousins learned a lot from Patterson and is a better person due to his relationship with PP.

Really, there are some kids that would have absolutely no opportunities in life if they weren't athletes. Isn't it important to put these young men in a situation to succeed? We all love Patterson and we are glad he was a Cat, but Patterson was going to be successful in life even if he wasn't a pro level athlete.

Who is the better coach, then? The one that develops Tim Tebow, Kyle Singler, or Patrick Patterson or the one that gives some poor kid with little opportunity a chance? What impact does a coach have on Tebow? That kid was going to be successful regardless of what he did in life. Same with Singler and Patterson.

Sometimes to be a good coach and a good person you have to take a chance on some "at-risk" kids who need athletics/college to change their lot in life.

Sorry to rant, but it just seems that a lot of people pass judgement on these kids and label them "good" or "bad" (like the recent Lamb thread and all the stuff about Knight being a great kid/student and now the condemning of White) when they are just kids. As I stated before, White doesn't sound like he is UK material character-wise, but I don't know him so I can't judge him. Even if he screwed up he deserves a second chance. If Cal wants to give him that chance at UK, then I'm good with that even if it doesn't work out in the end. As fans we should support that decision.

Would White be eligible to play this year? IDK how many games he played for Tubby if any last year. Sounds like he needs to do a lot of growing up before he wants to come back and play college ball. Cal has given others second chances and it has paid off for him. Maybe this could be another.

They aren't just kids, they are MEN.
Secondly, everyone can choose to stay out of trouble and succeed just like Tebow. It is a personal choice to do the right thing.
Third, if these young men are not held accountable now, they are going to be absolute thugs when they are given a ton of money and bad influences in the NBA.

Originally posted by bucsrule8872:
Really, when you think about it, who is the better Coach, the one who turns a "bad" kids life around or one who just takes "good" kids to keep his program looking good?

I think a team needs to be a good mix. Think about our team this past season. We had a great role model in Patterson leading a kid like Cousins with a questionable attitude. I guarantee Cousins learned a lot from Patterson and is a better person due to his relationship with PP.

Really, there are some kids that would have absolutely no opportunities in life if they weren't athletes. Isn't it important to put these young men in a situation to succeed? We all love Patterson and we are glad he was a Cat, but Patterson was going to be successful in life even if he wasn't a pro level athlete.

Who is the better coach, then? The one that develops Tim Tebow, Kyle Singler, or Patrick Patterson or the one that gives some poor kid with little opportunity a chance? What impact does a coach have on Tebow? That kid was going to be successful regardless of what he did in life. Same with Singler and Patterson.

Sometimes to be a good coach and a good person you have to take a chance on some "at-risk" kids who need athletics/college to change their lot in life.

Sorry to rant, but it just seems that a lot of people pass judgement on these kids and label them "good" or "bad" (like the recent Lamb thread and all the stuff about Knight being a great kid/student and now the condemning of White) when they are just kids. As I stated before, White doesn't sound like he is UK material character-wise, but I don't know him so I can't judge him. Even if he screwed up he deserves a second chance. If Cal wants to give him that chance at UK, then I'm good with that even if it doesn't work out in the end. As fans we should support that decision.

Nice post; I assume you, like myself, are not a saint. But there does seem to be a few on this thread.

"Nice post; I assume you, like myself, are not a saint. But there does seem to be a few on this thread."

So if we are against criminal activity, that is a bad thing?
Why bash someone for upholding what is right?
Since when is it a "cool" thing to not be "saint".
Should we defend him and say he is "young" or "hangs out with the wrong crowd"?
Should we assume he cannot control himself and should not be held accountable for breaking the law?
What if he stole from you?

Originally posted by kev69:

Originally posted by jrfoster:
Not so, and he would be a great add to this class. When will some of you quit reading the media always write about these kids?

Originally posted by DOA-V.H.:
White is a headache we don't need. Pass!

What do you know about him that we don't?....he seems to be a terrible kid and a criminal.

Hey, John Wall got in trouble too for entering abandoned house. Look how good he was.

NO THANK YOU! I don't care how good his game is
or was, UK doesn't need someone with his record.
Again, NO THANK YOU!

Originally posted by John Frusciante:

Nice post; I assume you, like myself, are not a saint. But there does seem to be a few on this thread.

I am a "Saint" since I consider the word "Saint" to be synonymous with the word "Christian." I am a Christian therefore I am a Saint.

That, however, does not make me without sin. I have made mistakes and sinned in my life as we all have and I believe in giving everyone a second chance just like Christ has given me a second chance.

That doesn't mean that if he did something wrong then he shouldn't pay for his crime, but if White is cleared of all charges and is eligible to play and Cal believes he can help us and we can help him, then we fans shouldn't judge him. We should embrace him and help him if we can on his journey to redemption. He might mess up again, but we don't know for sure.

But I'll leave the rest of you guys standing there with your stones in your hand to judge him, since you guys obviously never messed up in life and therefore are qualified to sit in the judgement seat.

__________________________________________________________________________________

But I'll leave the rest of you guys standing there with your stones in your hand to judge him, since you guys obviously never messed up in life and therefore are qualified to sit in the judgement seat.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Just curious, but if you are truly a "saint" then how can you justify a person that has continually broken the law? You do realize that repentance is turning away from the bad things you did. By continually breaking the law, he is sitting his own butt on the pine. Why call us judgemental when he is the one breaking the law? Aren't we allowed to voice our opinion about him representing our school?
This post was edited on 5/8 2:24 PM by UK:C-130

I would accept coach Cals decision on taking White, but
I would lose some respect for coach like I did for
coach Calhoun when he let the computer thief stay and
play at UCON.

Originally posted by UKZOCK:
I'm hearing he is the next wildcat. Cal loves his game and is willing to give him a second chance.

BS! And I don't care what source you have.

Originally posted by minnystanford:

Originally posted by TCat18:
If you guys really believe that this kid is Hitler himself, do you really think Tubby would've brought him in in the first place? Of course not. I wish people would stop acting like they know the first thing about these kids because they read an article online, and that goes for the good and bad things.

FWIW, White apparently met with Tubby and said he wants to come back, but Tubby reportedly isn't convinced that Royce a) has distanced himself from his friends who are a bad influence; and b) is totally committed to basketball. So, Tubby isn't sure that he wants Royce and his drama back. That's what has been reported in Minneapolis, anyway.

I read one report that said that it was the AD blocking White and not Tubby. In fact, that report said that Tubby was upset because he wanted White on the team. That report seemed to be more consistent with White's comments about Tubby and how much he respected him, etc.

Having watched Tubby operate for 10 years here, I would tend to think that story is more accurate than for Tubby to be the one blocking White.

Just curious, but if you are truly a "saint" then how can you justify a person that has continually broken the law? You do realize that repentance is turning away from the bad things you did. By continually breaking the law, he is sitting his own butt on the pine. Why call us judgemental when he is the one breaking the law? Aren't we allowed to voice our opinion about him representing our school?

This post was edited on 5/8 2:24 PM by UK:C-130

So he can't change now? He's reached his limit? If he has sincerely turned his life around starting today is it too late? How many times does he deserve forgiveness? Christ told Peter to forgive his brothers seventy times seven times.

Also, I said if he is convicted, then he should pay for his crimes, but if he is cleared, then we should embrace him and support him instead of being negative. He might turn out to be the next Carruth or the next Cousins. Lets let Cal decide.

I'm not justifying any of his actions, but I am not condemning him for them either. Its not my place to condemn.

I apologize if I myself sounded self-righteous and judgemental. I am far from it. I am a guy who has screwed up so many times I do not deserve a second chance. I have repented and turned away and I hope White does the same thing. If he hasn't, its between him and God, not him and me. All I can do is love my fellow man and try to help them the best I can.

You can voice your opinion if you will, but I can also voice mine. Can I not give this young man the benefit of a doubt? Can Cal give him another chance?

Once again, if he did the crimes and is convicted, forget it. If he has been cleared, then you can't hold it against him, IMHO. If he is eligible, and Cal wants him to be a Cat, then I support the decision until he messes up again. If he does and Cal removes him from the team, then I support that as well.

And if Cal doesn't want him, I wish him the best and hope he gets a second chance somewhere else. This is not just about bball, its about a human being.

I understand your concern as a fan, I have them too, but I think we should let the staff make this decision. They know the details much better than we do. We should just support the staff in their decision and support the kids that wear the uniform we love so much.

Once again, I apologize for coming off judgemental myself. I respect everyone's opinion and their right to state it. I just grow tired of the negative comments by people who label these kids as "bad." I am a teacher and I have kids that drive me crazy in my class, but I love them just the same. None of them are beyond redemption. I don't think White is either.

"Nice post; I assume you, like myself, are not a saint. But there does seem to be a few on this thread."

So if we are against criminal activity, that is a bad thing?
Why bash someone for upholding what is right?
Since when is it a "cool" thing to not be "saint".
Should we defend him and say he is "young" or "hangs out with the wrong crowd"?
Should we assume he cannot control himself and should not be held accountable for breaking the law?
What if he stole from you?

He paid for his crime. Now its up to the NCAA, the university, and the staff whether or not he can play for us.

This post was edited on 5/8 4:04 PM by bucsrule8872
This post was edited on 5/8 4:06 PM by bucsrule8872

I don't think he deserves a second chance unless he can show the coaching staff evidence of how he has changed. Things like hanging out with different people etc. I also think, once on campus, that he should be held a greater level of accountability, for a semester or so, than the other players.

I'm all for second chances but I'd like to see them come with some strings attached. If the kid is serious about resurrecting his career, they I can't imagine he would have any problem with this concept. If he does, then we should avoid him like the plague as he probably still has problems with entitlement and authority.

Originally posted by UKentuckyCalipari:
No i haven't read anything about White or Minnesota I don't care what he did in Minnesota. he shoplifted and stole a laptop big deal. How many people at his age didn't steal anything. If you accepted cash for mowing a yard at 19 then guess what you stole because you didn't pay taxes or ate a burger while working at McDonalds you also stole.
Suit him up, I would want him. Besides it was a long time ago, LET THE KID MOVE ON
This post was edited on 5/8 1:37 PM by UKentuckyCalipari

Good Lord i hope they never let you into society.

I think Cal has better methods of working with kids like this than Tubby does. Cal could probably get this kid's head on straight and make something of him. Tubby is not good at player or personal improvement.

Originally posted by ColoradoCat10:
I don't think he deserves a second chance unless he can show the coaching staff evidence of how he has changed. Things like hanging out with different people etc. I also think, once on campus, that he should be held a greater level of accountability, for a semester or so, than the other players.

I'm all for second chances but I'd like to see them come with some strings attached. If the kid is serious about resurrecting his career, they I can't imagine he would have any problem with this concept. If he does, then we should avoid him like the plague as he probably still has problems with entitlement and authority.

I agree.

Originally posted by UKentuckyCalipari:
No i haven't read anything about White or Minnesota I don't care what he did in Minnesota. he shoplifted and stole a laptop big deal. How many people at his age didn't steal anything. If you accepted cash for mowing a yard at 19 then guess what you stole because you didn't pay taxes or ate a burger while working at McDonalds you also stole.
Suit him up, I would want him. Besides it was a long time ago, LET THE KID MOVE ON
This post was edited on 5/8 1:37 PM by UKentuckyCalipari

I think you're confused, this is a Kentucky basketball fan forum.

I think these two boards will suit you much more nicely:

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-basketball/
http://tennessee.scout.com/

And by the way, unless you are mowing yards and accrue more than $3000.00, you are not required to pay taxes on that income.

Originally posted by ColoradoCat10:

I agree.

I agree too.

I am on the fence about this kid personally. It seems he is either easily influenced by others who are bad characters, he's stupid, or both. Part of me thinks if he stays out of trouble and has done so up until now, maybe he deserves a shot. But the skeptical part of me wonders if he is being good because the continued temptation is not there. I am not a fan of taking kids with questionable character but if he has really turned a corner and is devoted to being a good person, I hope he gets another chance, either here or somewhere else.

I think we should give him a chance and the first time he screws up send him home. He is a really talented player who would help us a lot. Would he have to sit out a year?

So he can't change now? He's reached his limit? If he has sincerely turned his life around starting today is it too late? How many times does he deserve forgiveness? Christ told Peter to forgive his brothers seventy times seven times.

Also, I said if he is convicted, then he should pay for his crimes, but if he is cleared, then we should embrace him and support him instead of being negative. He might turn out to be the next Carruth or the next Cousins. Lets let Cal decide.

I'm not justifying any of his actions, but I am not condemning him for them either. Its not my place to condemn.

I apologize if I myself sounded self-righteous and judgemental. I am far from it. I am a guy who has screwed up so many times I do not deserve a second chance. I have repented and turned away and I hope White does the same thing. If he hasn't, its between him and God, not him and me. All I can do is love my fellow man and try to help them the best I can.

You can voice your opinion if you will, but I can also voice mine. Can I not give this young man the benefit of a doubt? Can Cal give him another chance?

Once again, if he did the crimes and is convicted, forget it. If he has been cleared, then you can't hold it against him, IMHO. If he is eligible, and Cal wants him to be a Cat, then I support the decision until he messes up again. If he does and Cal removes him from the team, then I support that as well.

And if Cal doesn't want him, I wish him the best and hope he gets a second chance somewhere else. This is not just about bball, its about a human being.

I understand your concern as a fan, I have them too, but I think we should let the staff make this decision. They know the details much better than we do. We should just support the staff in their decision and support the kids that wear the uniform we love so much.

Once again, I apologize for coming off judgemental myself. I respect everyone's opinion and their right to state it. I just grow tired of the negative comments by people who label these kids as "bad." I am a teacher and I have kids that drive me crazy in my class, but I love them just the same. None of them are beyond redemption. I don't think White is either.
He has had numerous chances and keeps breaking the law. This shows that he does not want to change. At no point am I throwing him out as a human being and saying that he is worthless. I think there is always room for grace. Having said that, it leads us back to the repentance part. Is he really trying to change? The law is saying no. Minnesota is saying no. He needs to do a total 180 (or 360 in some people view) to earn the right to play college bball.

Playing for UK is a privilege. He is not the type of person that I want as a representative for our school. If UK accepts him as a student, then fine, let him earn his way back. Let him prove that he isn't a thief anymore.

Let me be very clear. I do not think he is a loss as a person. I do think he is a criminal and doesn't care about anyone but himself right now. He needs something to wake him up.

Just because he has served his time (numerous times) does that mean he has changed? Does that mean he is no longer a thief? I think he deserves grace, but that does not include allowing him the privilege of playing college ball. When he wakes up ... and I really hope he does ... then let him prove himself and I will be the first one to say how happy I am to have him on our team.

I think its worth a shot, he could be this teams missing piece. If he gets in trouble then get rid of him.

He has had numerous chances and keeps breaking the law. This shows that he does not want to change. At no point am I throwing him out as a human being and saying that he is worthless. I think there is always room for grace. Having said that, it leads us back to the repentance part. Is he really trying to change? The law is saying no. Minnesota is saying no. He needs to do a total 180 (or 360 in some people view) to earn the right to play college bball.

Playing for UK is a privilege. He is not the type of person that I want as a representative for our school. If UK accepts him as a student, then fine, let him earn his way back. Let him prove that he isn't a thief anymore.

Let me be very clear. I do not think he is a loss as a person. I do think he is a criminal and doesn't care about anyone but himself right now. He needs something to wake him up.

Just because he has served his time (numerous times) does that mean he has changed? Does that mean he is no longer a thief? I think he deserves grace, but that does not include allowing him the privilege of playing college ball. When he wakes up ... and I really hope he does ... then let him prove himself and I will be the first one to say how happy I am to have him on our team.

Good post. I understand your concern.

But in the end, its not our choice, its Cal's call.

If White becomes a Cat, then we should support him. If he messes up, then he gets sent packing.

Originally posted by RickyRossi:
THE BIGGEST BAWSE THAT YOU'VE SEEN THUS FAR WANTS HIM AT UK!!!!!!!!!
I have no idea what this means - and please don't explain it to me, either.

Originally posted by RickyRossi:
THE BIGGEST BAWSE THAT YOU'VE SEEN THUS FAR WANTS HIM AT UK!!!!!!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea what this means - and please don't explain it to me, either.
laugh.gif
Please dont explain it to me!, haha. I was also wondering what that meant exactly. This guy might carry to much baggage with him. We'll see what happens next though.

White, Smith meet

Royce White met for about an hour Thursday with Gophers basketball coach Tubby Smith, with the former Hopkins star asking Smith for an opportunity to rejoin the team.

White admitted he had made some mistakes, and said he talked to Smith about the future, with the hope that the past can be forgotten. White dropped out of school because he was suspended from playing because of some legal problems.

Beyond saying his return to the team "is up to the coach," White had no other comment.

Smith admitted meeting with White, but said he would have to think about bringing White back.

There is some question whether White, who attended the university for about half of a semester as a freshman, could be admitted and academically eligible for the 2010-2011 season, or if he would have to attend a junior college next season to be eligible in 2011-2012.

Mid-way down in article

I think the kid deserves another chance. Why not?

How is this different than Erik Daniels and Gerald Fitch forging ideas to get into a nightclud?

How is this different than Camara's DUI, wherein he could have literally killed someone on the road?

Kids make mistakes. Remember Myron Anthony/Wayne Turner lying about the car wreck? Remember Ramel Bradley and his g/f? What about Stone and his ex-girlfriend and his throwing a phone at her?

I could make a list with about 15 bullet points of UK players in the last 10-12 years who made big time mistakes, and were restored accordingly. Kids make mistakes.

Some of you have short term memories and quite frankly, make me laugh at your blatant ignorance.

think of it this way. if your child got in trouble and the judge said ill give the child a second chance. would you say no i dont want my child to have a second chance in life.

Sorry but I have to enter into this. If they don't have taxes taken out and receive a Form 1099, they DO have to file taxes, sorry its my job to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT