ADVERTISEMENT

Royce White

Apr 10, 2010
Uk staff has made some inquires. Sat out last year at Minnesota due to some off the court issues. He can play. Would he be eligible next year?

Wow. How wild would that be. Minnesota fans at the time were trying to rub it in UK fans faces that Tubby had signed a big name 5 Star up there at Minny. How ironic would it be if White ended up at UK, while Tubby continues to rack up 10 loss season after 10 loss season.

18 year old kids make mistakes. He has paid his debt(year away from B-Ball). I will give him the benefit of the doubt if Cal agrees.
This post was edited on 5/8 1:27 AM by UKZOCK

I'm hearing he is the next wildcat. Cal loves his game and is willing to give him a second chance.

We need White no matter what issues he had with Tubby. Over half of BBN had issues with Tubby. we only have eight players for next year take him Vargas and anybody else that will come.

Originally posted by UKentuckyCalipari:
We need White no matter what issues he had with Tubby. Over half of BBN had issues with Tubby. we only have eight players for next year take him Vargas and anybody else that will come.
If we get this kid and Vargas I will be a very happy member of the BBN. GO CATS!

Is this for real? Kid is a baller, that would be a pick up equal to that of T Jones. Still want Jones of course and Chris Hill but Royce White would be nice.

Royce = TJones? hmmmm.
I am not seeing that comparison, but you are entitled to your own opinion. If he was with Minn last year, I don't see how he could play without sitting out the standard "transfer year" unless he get's a hardship waiver. Correct me if I am wrong.

He seems to be a talented player, better quality player than a few that are still unsigned in this years pool, however lots of issues to consider, when can he play? has he matured?

Not so, and he would be a great add to this class. When will some of you quit reading the media always write about these kids?
Originally posted by DOA-V.H.:
White is a headache we don't need. Pass!

Originally posted by jrfoster:
Not so, and he would be a great add to this class. When will some of you quit reading the media always write about these kids?

What do you know about him that we don't?....he seems to be a terrible kid and a criminal.

Where is the proof we have inquired about Royce White other than a thread about it on House Of Blue. I would take him in a heartbeat as long as he stayed outta trouble.

Originally posted by kev69:

What do you know about him that we don't?....he seems to be a terrible kid and a criminal.

Terrible kid? Wow, you kinda reaching there.. All you know is what you read. Criminal? Well, he did break the law. But he paid his debt to society. Hopefully he can get his life together, come to the Cats and be a better person, student and player. Maybe it would be good for him to get out of MINNY area and to UK where he'll feel loved. Until he misses a shot and people will say crazy stuff about him like KEV69 did.

Originally posted by RickyRossi:

Originally posted by kev69:

Terrible kid? Wow, you kinda reaching there.. All you know is what you read. Criminal? Well, he did break the law. But he paid his debt to society. Hopefully he can get his life together, come to the Cats and be a better person, student and player. Maybe it would be good for him to get out of MINNY area and to UK where he'll feel loved. Until he misses a shot and people will say crazy stuff about him like KEV69 did.

I will be very honest. I would give the benefit of the doubt for the shoplifting and the altercation with a security guard. However, the stuff about him going into co-eds' rooms without permission would be the end for me. He never admitted to stealing laptops so he didn't pay for that crime. He is trouble and I really don't think he should get another chance after the blew off the 2nd and then 3rd chance that he was getting at Minny.

No link or sources outside of a twitter page?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Come on guys, this guy was allegedly stealing computers on campus and had other issues resulting in his dismissal at Minnesota. I don't care if UK has ten openings, you surely can find someone with a bit more character to fill a role or spot. And spare me the "kid made a mistake crap"...

Issues with Tubby? Have you read anything about White? His issues weren't with Tubby, they were with the law. Kid seems to have been in trouble from his days in high school and it followed him to Minnesota. I hope we don't get involved with this kid. He definitely has talent but at what cost?

Originally posted by BuddyKat123:
Come on guys, this guy was allegedly stealing computers on campus and had other issues resulting in his dismissal at Minnesota. I don't care if UK has ten openings, you surely can find someone with a bit more character to fill a role or spot. And spare me the "kid made a mistake crap"...

Actually, he was never dismissed, IIRC. He was allowed to stay and chose to leave when he wasn't allowed to play basketball. To me, that says a lot. He COULD have chosen to stay and take his punishment and show the AD that he was now willing to go the right way. He made the decision to not do that. I hope he doesn't end up here.

UK doesn't need this type player. We have enough problems without importing more.

If UK wants to take a chance on him let them take the chance...all these posts about we don't need this type of player, or his character is an issue, are pointless. Obviously if UK is looking into him they think he could work.

Anyways...Could this kid play this year or would he have to sit out a year?

Talent-wise he is UK material. Character-wise he probably isn't.

That is just my opinion, but if Cal wants him then who are we to question? Its Cal's call.

If he comes to UK and has his head on straight he will contribute immediately, IMHO. He's a former McD's AA and Rivals top 20 player. Other than TJ, there is no one more talented that is available. The main concern has to be his character.

Also, since he never played a minute last season for Minny, he should be able to gain his eligibility immediately as long as there are no legal issues still pending.

Royce has made a lot of strides and regained his focus he’s taken on a lot of responsibility for his actions. He’s accepted responsibility for them and he just wants to move forward. He’d like to move forward, number one with his life, and number two, with playing basketball.

Number one, I think he is starting to focus better on the type of information he’s receiving, and how to use it. He’s being more responsible with his actions. And I think it’s really important to note that at the end of the day, he just wants to move forward. He wants to have guidance in a direction that would help better himself. Some of the things individuals go through, they haven’t been through before, they haven’t learned. With some individuals, when instances happen, you can’t go back. When you make a mistake, that’s it, it’s over

link

If you guys really believe that this kid is Hitler himself, do you really think Tubby would've brought him in in the first place? Of course not. I wish people would stop acting like they know the first thing about these kids because they read an article online, and that goes for the good and bad things.

"FWIW, it does not sound like White has any interest in returning. Sounds like UK checked in with gophers staff." about 13 hours ago via UberTwitter

Royce

If he wasn't a 5* rated player my guess is that most of the fans would be less ready to forgive and forget. But, that is the interesting aspect. The comment that he is a talent like Jones is not inaccurate as he was 5* as mentioned and highly ranked in the top 25 I believe. He is elibible to play as far as I know and the reports I read indicate he actually was a good student.

Was he guilty and was there good reason for Tubby Smith to do what he did? I would bet yes. We know Tubby was a very honorable man and sacrificed seeking talent sometimes for character. Those posting that we might not need someone of this past questionable history representing our program make a good point.

But, what if he was given a second chance, was closely monitored and supported, and did great? Wouldn't that be a good story as well? Plus, he is the only player I know of, other than Vargas, that might actually come in and be an instant fix for the one remaining glaring hole in next years team.

His story, or if T. Jones somehow does end up at Kentucky will bring a lot of negative media with them. But, time heals all wounds. I hope we land him and it ends up being the good story. But, he better be teamed and room with a very positive influence, and have a zero tolerance agreement for any out of line behavior.

It would be a gamble. None of us know the truth behind any of the allegations and none of us know how much he's matured over the past year. It could work out and he could be a great part of the puzzle, or it could bloow up and he has issues here. I trust in what decision Cal makes. If I was making the decision, personally, I think Cal has the ability to win without taking these kind of gambles.

High school - unspecified trouble
College (first 2 months) - arrested for shoplifting and shoving a security guard (first time offender? ... hmmm)
College (still first semester) - 3 counts trespassing in dorm rooms and suspected of stealing a laptop.

Now, please tell me this kid is not a criminal. This is where everyone squaks about "second chances" and Hitler comparisons. Would you trust this kid? I wouldn't. He chose to be a thief, so now he needs to change his trashy ways.

Originally posted by UKZOCK:
I'm hearing he is the next wildcat. Cal loves his game and is willing to give him a second chance.

Wjere are you hearing this ZOCK? I can't imagine Cal would take White in after having chased Pilgrim out for good reason.

Tubby goes out of his way to allow players to express themselves, even to the point of embarrassing himself and allowing players to destroy team chemistry, AKA Carruth, Chiles, Sims, Crawford and Morris. If Tubby couldn't get along with White, nobody can.

However, I would trust in Cal also.

He didn't have any issues with Tubby. Found guilty of shoplifting at Mall of America and investigated for a stolen laptop on campus. He admitted entering rooms of students he didn't know but said he had nothing to do with the left. He refused to identify the friends he was with that night, which seems to be his problem. His friends may not be a good influence on him. Maybe getting out of Minneapolis would be good, as long as his friends don't follow him. He's a smart kid (high GPA in the fall) who makes a very good impression when you meet him. Tubby gave him every chance to succeed. He just seems to blow every chance he's given and at this point doesn't seem that interested in basketball. He's really into the music scene and has been trying to develop a business along those lines.

Originally posted by TCat18:
If you guys really believe that this kid is Hitler himself, do you really think Tubby would've brought him in in the first place? Of course not. I wish people would stop acting like they know the first thing about these kids because they read an article online, and that goes for the good and bad things.

FWIW, White apparently met with Tubby and said he wants to come back, but Tubby reportedly isn't convinced that Royce a) has distanced himself from his friends who are a bad influence; and b) is totally committed to basketball. So, Tubby isn't sure that he wants Royce and his drama back. That's what has been reported in Minneapolis, anyway.

No i haven't read anything about White or Minnesota I don't care what he did in Minnesota. he shoplifted and stole a laptop big deal. How many people at his age didn't steal anything. If you accepted cash for mowing a yard at 19 then guess what you stole because you didn't pay taxes or ate a burger while working at McDonalds you also stole.
Suit him up, I would want him. Besides it was a long time ago, LET THE KID MOVE ON
This post was edited on 5/8 1:37 PM by UKentuckyCalipari

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT