ADVERTISEMENT

Roy Williams throws shade at Cal

According to the first link, schools like NYU, Depaul, Houston, Purdue, Oregon St. all more successful than Dook.

And the second link actually made me laugh. How many of those UNC** players actually played meaningful extended minutes in the playoffs? Green and Carter. 2-9

Ridiculous argument. Look at last night. Fox goes 5 to a garbage team, and Tatum goes 3 to a playoff team. Davis who will one day be the best player in basketball is at New Orleans. Towns (cough, Rookie of the Year, cough) is at Minnesota. Noel went to Philly, Randle went to LA who is a garbage team now, Wall went to Washington who was a garbage team when he went there. Barnes ends up at Golden State, now McAdoo is there. That stat is a nice talking point for novices, but it's way more about being lucky and getting on the right team.

Yep.

You really can't look at the success of the team. Barnes and McAdoo were fortunate enough to play with Curry and the other superstars on that team.

Put Barnes on the Pelicans in place of Davis and see how many games he wins.

Barnes and McAdoo are not franchise players. They are role players.

Better to look at the individual player than what their team does.

Will Perdue has more rings than Barkley and Drexler. Doesn't mean he had a more successful career. Not by a longshot.

I'm sure Cal let Danny Manning ride back on his jet so he could attend the Draft so that Manning could be on TV and help promote Wake Forest and not because he genuinely believes this is about changing families and celebrating with kids that he feels like are his own sons in a way.

Cal is always recruiting, but way before he was the best recruiter of all time, he was a man who went to bat for his guys 100-percent of the time, no matter what. That hasn't changed.

Watch the 30 for 30. A whole lot of guys who were never anywhere near the draft green room traveled across the country to be at his Hall of Fame induction ceremony. They say they hear from him all the time. They say he was like a father to them. It isn't about being seen.

KSR has an interview he did, and he was asked if he was going to the draft for his guys. He said he doesn't do that, and openly called out Cal for doing it. Said it's not their night, that it's for the families, and that Cal told him he wants the kids to hug him after their families so he gets on TV.
Thats the difference between Ol' Roy and Cal. After playing for Cal you are his family.

williams is just mad cause Cals kids like him more than his..............and Cal s player are his family and kids

There' an awful lot of shade being thrown at Cal from Roy, the media, louisville, etc. Hmm, makes you wonder.

These guys are pissed. Make no mistake about it, Roy jumped out of character to say that. Bilas is becoming more anti-cal by the day. The media in general is making excuses for how he's successful.

Cal is NOT part of the good ole boy network. He's not liked at all by most of his peers, no matter how they act in public or to his face.

Part of that is because he clawed his way to the top without their help, and he wasn't content standing in line.

Now we have a situation where Cal has flipped the way to recruit, get to the pros. It's a danger to the other guys end goals, their own career.

I do not like the OAD. We've been on a slipppery slope in college basketball for a while, but it's obvious what the problem is and why these guys are in attack mode. He's putting a ton of guys in the league, multiple guys on a lot of rosters, some as many as 4/5 on one team. Kids grow up seeing Kentucky guys on their playstations and on TV. That USED to be UNC. They didnt hate it in the 70's, 80's, and 90's did they? So what happened? We took it from them.

The attacks will only get worse as we seperate ourselves from their programs over the next decade and Cal becomes the biggest name in CBB.

Only thing smart one...you're going way back. When we talk of Cal we're talking a shorter period of time. No one....absolutely NO ONE is doing what Cal/UK are. Heck, before long the NBA will be largely UK players:)

Not only that...high picks don't usually go to playoff teams. That's why UNC/Duke have some players on good teams...because they're not key players minus Kyrie Irving.

Last edited:
Ridiculous argument. Look at last night. Fox goes 5 to a garbage team, and Tatum goes 3 to a playoff team. Davis who will one day be the best player in basketball is at New Orleans. Towns (cough, Rookie of the Year, cough) is at Minnesota. Noel went to Philly, Randle went to LA who is a garbage team now, Wall went to Washington who was a garbage team when he went there. Barnes ends up at Golden State, now McAdoo is there. That stat is a nice talking point for novices, but it's way more about being lucky and getting on the right team.

It's actually an insult to UNC our slow brain friend would stop & think :)

Huckleberry shit pie.

roy_knew_zpshjgquvqb.png

I hate the Heels but Roy is right on this one: the draft night should be a special evening shared by the players and their families.

Coach K doesn't show up for example. Heck, he was in NYC yesterday and he still didn't go out of respect for the purpose of draft night.
Coach K doesn't show up, but he definitely started copying Cal and going after one and dones.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
So in your opinion the University of San Francisco is just as successful at putting championship producing players in the NBA as Duke? Haha!

Your second chart may be even more ridiculous. Out of all the UNC guys in the playoffs, one is a starter. None of them are the reason their teams are in the playoffs. Most of them aren't even considered role players. They are bench fillers. But when your players are consistently drafted outside the lottery or signed at league minimum to fill bench space, then they tend to be on playoff teams that were successful before those guys got there.

Reactions: bigbluelou
And yet, we keep beating that ass on the recruiting trail. Meanwhile, as for you, you've got a 70 year old coach to plug into the wall every night and recharge. Have fun with that.

4550fe1cc5dc482ddb94b496bcf643a5.jpg

Shew wow. I just don't get the mentality on this board. Did you really just brag about beating ass on the recruiting trail over a team that just won the title? They won the championship and you're talking ish about recruiting? Damn that's amazing. Not brainwashed huh. Ok

I hate the Heels but Roy is right on this one: the draft night should be a special evening shared by the players and their families.

Coach K doesn't show up for example. Heck, he was in NYC yesterday and he still didn't go out of respect for the purpose of draft night.
It appears that the only thing that UNCheats & Puke fans agree on, is their green, jealous, envy of Calipari & Kentucky.

And as far as Krzyzewski not being at the Draft. Like I posted in another thread. The reason he wasn't there is because old ratface overindulges himself by eating too much d-con and it gave him a terrible case of diarrhea. And if you've ever seen a rat with the shits, you know why he never showed up.

Draft night is a freaking celebration. I don't know about you, but when I celebrate, I like to do so with the people who are most directly involved with the cause for celebration. That may very well include family, but not to the exclusion of everyone else. I'm pretty sure they love Cal being there to...wait for it...celebrate with them.

If you only want to celebrate with family, go to a family reunion...or Thanksgiving dinner. And pull someone's finger while you're there. Let me know how that works out for you.

Reactions: Ugoff
It amazes me how people can criticize coach cal for attending the draft with his players. Jealousy makes people say stupid things and that's my take on Roy's criticism of our coach. Cal has helped so many families while he has been here. Not just from basketball but look at all the charitable things he has done.

Last edited:
I do not like the OAD. We've been on a slipppery slope in college basketball for a while, but it's obvious what the problem is and why these guys are in attack mode. He's putting a ton of guys in the league, multiple guys on a lot of rosters, some as many as 4/5 on one team. Kids grow up seeing Kentucky guys on their playstations and on TV. That USED to be UNC. They didnt hate it in the 70's, 80's, and 90's did they? So what happened? We took it from them.

So true. How many times have we heard of Jordon/UNC? Just think, UK could have association with handfuls of the top NBA players for years to come. It's rather insane to think about how much talent Cal is putting into the NBA. Sometimes I dont look at how much of an impact this truly can have, kids will be growing up watching the likes Wall, Davis, Cousins, Towns, etc....and they all promote the hell out of UK.

Reactions: morgousky
There' an awful lot of shade being thrown at Cal from Roy, the media, louisville, etc. Hmm, makes you wonder.

These guys are pissed. Make no mistake about it, Roy jumped out of character to say that. Bilas is becoming more anti-cal by the day. The media in general is making excuses for how he's successful.

Cal is NOT part of the good ole boy network. He's not liked at all by most of his peers, no matter how they act in public or to his face.

Part of that is because he clawed his way to the top without their help, and he wasn't content standing in line.

Now we have a situation where Cal has flipped the way to recruit, get to the pros. It's a danger to the other guys end goals, their own career.

The attacks will only get worse as we seperate ourselves from their programs over the next decade and Cal becomes the biggest name in CBB.

Bilas made sure to note that "Cal doesn't produce lottery picks, he recruits them."

Then the point was reset a couple minutes later, in case anyone missed it.

Might also have noticed that Jay Williams was rolled out to show highlight videos of exactly one player all night - Luke Kennard. At last year's draft, Williams showed clips of Jamal Murray...and ripped him for his defense.

Reactions: morgousky and Mr_GG

Good post

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT