ADVERTISEMENT

Roy Williams throws shade at Cal

Does anyone really believe that if Ole Huckleberry would have had 3 lottery picks, last night, he would not have been there? I guess if you can deny the educational scandal with a straight face, you can say you don't want to go to the draft, equally well.

Reactions: GG24 and mapcatfan
Bilas made sure to note that "Cal doesn't produce lottery picks, he recruits them."

Then the point was reset a couple minutes later, in case anyone missed it.

Might also have noticed that Jay Williams was rolled out to show highlight videos of exactly one player all night - Luke Kennard. At last year's draft, Williams showed clips of Jamal Murray...and ripped him for his defense.

Yeah, we had 2 Dookies doing most of the talking about a draft that was presided over by another Dookie. So sick of seeing Dookies and Tar Holes everywhere you look.

Reactions: morgousky and Aike
I hate the Heels but Roy is right on this one: the draft night should be a special evening shared by the players and their families.

Coach K doesn't show up for example. Heck, he was in NYC yesterday and he still didn't go out of respect for the purpose of draft night.
Obviously UK players feel like Cal is family. One of them in his interview said that Cal is like a 2nd father to them. So you have that

Reactions: morgousky
Roy isn't going to attend many public functions where the press is in attendance until the NCAA ruling comes down. Pure and simple.

Reactions: wcc31
Shew wow. I just don't get the mentality on this board. Did you really just brag about beating ass on the recruiting trail over a team that just won the title? They won the championship and you're talking ish about recruiting? Damn that's amazing. Not brainwashed huh. Ok
The only thing that won a title this year were the striped shirts. UNC earned nothing- you know, kind of like their class grades.

Roy wants to criticize Cal when his program cheated the majority of the time he has been there. His good buddy Walden pushed kids into fake classes so they could stay eligible and then ESPN and their company suck Bilas tries to convince everyone it was just an " academic issue". Where was the outrage when Memphis lost a whole season because their was a possibility that Rose cheated on the SAT? No one was yelling it was just an academic issue then were they?

I hate the Heels but Roy is right on this one: the draft night should be a special evening shared by the players and their families.

Coach K doesn't show up for example. Heck, he was in NYC yesterday and he still didn't go out of respect for the purpose of draft night.
Zachdeer nobody here gives a flying Rats ass what K does. Hell no he doesn't show up but if u think for one minute that he thought he could gain by it your crazy. What was he supposed to do. Sit there in horror as he saw his selfish handiwork let the supposed lock for top draft pick slide all the way to 20. Or another so called one and done fall out of the first round. Not to mention Bolden was a projected top 10 pick before he played at Duke. Basically one of his so called elite recruiting class went where he was projected to go. Biggest reason K and Roy didn't go to the draft is they would look bad next to Cals 3 lottery picks.

Reactions: wcc31
You don't really need to show up for draft night when you don't have any kids being selected in the lottery and instantly becoming wealthy. Whatever. If Roy doesn't want to show up for his guys, more power to him! The fact that Cal does attend is really none of Roy's concern. Roy knows what Cal always being with a couple of lottery picks every draft really means and is passed he can do nothing to stop it. It only helps Cal become even better at recruiting talented players. When you think of the best recruiter in college basketball, it's Cal who always comes to mind. This does nothing to hurt that thought, only can strengthen it. We will allow Cal to do things his way and if you like, you can agree with Roy's thoughts. No coach has to think the same way. If so, the game wouldn't be worth watching.

I'm sure Cal let Danny Manning ride back on his jet so he could attend the Draft so that Manning could be on TV and help promote Wake Forest and not because he genuinely believes this is about changing families and celebrating with kids that he feels like are his own sons in a way.

Cal is always recruiting, but way before he was the best recruiter of all time, he was a man who went to bat for his guys 100-percent of the time, no matter what. That hasn't changed.

Watch the 30 for 30. A whole lot of guys who were never anywhere near the draft green room traveled across the country to be at his Hall of Fame induction ceremony. They say they hear from him all the time. They say he was like a father to them. It isn't about being seen.
Great post.

Reactions: crpoore
Cal isn't just there sitting on his ass and getting camera time.

Remember last year when Skal started slipping down the draft boards unexpectedly? I remember Skal looking worried, but Cal was there frantically working the phones trying to find out what was going on - wouldn't be surprised if he didn't call in a favor to get Skal picked up at the end of the first round (and thus with a guaranteed contract) by the Kings. He has friends in that organization.

Coach K might not have gone to the draft "out of respect for the purpose of the night" (yeah, right) but I guarantee you Frank Jackson and his family would have appreciated it if he'd been there fighting for him when it became apparent he was about to slip out of the first round.

Doesn't seem like the players mind Cal being there, since he keeps reeling in 5* after 5* every year. Also, maybe the parents appreciate a coach who stays to the end with their kid(draft night), instead of a coach walking off into the sunset after the last game?

Last edited:
Doesn't seem like the players mind Cal being there, since he keeps reeling in 5* after 5* every year. Also, maybe the parents appreciate a coach who stays to the end with their kid(draft night), instead of a coach walking off into the sunset after the last game?
Duke and Arizona recruit just as well as UK even though K and Sean Miller don't go to the Draft Night, what's your point here?

Duke and Arizona recruit just as well as UK even though K and Sean Miller don't go to the Draft Night, what's your point here?

maxresdefault.jpg

Point is Coach K is a POS, particularly if he was in New York and still didn't go. But K is about K and always has been.
You do realize only 4 coaches were at the NBA Draft right? I guess every other coach that had a player who was going to get drafted but didn't attend is a POS?

ADVERTISEMENT