ADVERTISEMENT

Round 2 What horror movie scared you the most and you're favorite

The Exorcist was always near the top when I was younger and even now as a 50+ guy I get a little creeped if I'm scrolling thru horror movie lists and they show that one face of her.

I would give a strong recommendation for Hell House LLC. My daughter is a big horror fan and we will randomly pick something from whatever streaming service we're looking at. Last year we picked HH LLC and I had no expectations at all, if anything was expecting to be underwhelmed. There are a ton of low budget, found footage, haunted house movies out there and honestly I was blown away. There are 3 or 4 really solid scares in that movie. The two sequels were ok but we watched it again a few days after we watched the first time and once this year and even though you know some of those parts are coming, it still works.

I thought "Creep" was pretty good. Also, Shudder has a movie called "Haunt" that is pretty good and has a big budget look to it but I heard it was filmed outside of Cincinnati in Kentucky. The setting is supposed to be near Southern Illinois U. but the filmmakers graduated from there but are both KY guys
Creep is a good one. Creep 2 is very good as well.

There is also a prequel to Hell House LLC coming out next year. I liked the 2nd Hell House, nowhere near as good as the first. The third one was so poorly reviewed that I haven't even bothered watching it.

Creep is a good one. Creep 2 is very good as well.

There is also a prequel to Hell House LLC coming out next year. I liked the 2nd Hell House, nowhere near as good as the first. The third one was so poorly reviewed that I haven't even bothered watching it.

Guess I’m gonna have to look into HHLLC. keep hearing good things about it.

The Exorcist was always near the top when I was younger and even now as a 50+ guy I get a little creeped if I'm scrolling thru horror movie lists and they show that one face of her.

I would give a strong recommendation for Hell House LLC. My daughter is a big horror fan and we will randomly pick something from whatever streaming service we're looking at. Last year we picked HH LLC and I had no expectations at all, if anything was expecting to be underwhelmed. There are a ton of low budget, found footage, haunted house movies out there and honestly I was blown away. There are 3 or 4 really solid scares in that movie. The two sequels were ok but we watched it again a few days after we watched the first time and once this year and even though you know some of those parts are coming, it still works.

I thought "Creep" was pretty good. Also, Shudder has a movie called "Haunt" that is pretty good and has a big budget look to it but I heard it was filmed outside of Cincinnati in Kentucky. The setting is supposed to be near Southern Illinois U. but the filmmakers graduated from there but are both KY guys

The last part is true, they filmed the entire thing at an old KY school called "AJ Jolly".. with some parts in an old Dairy factory as well in KY/Cincy.

Watched IT for the first time last night. Good lord that’s trash man. Knew it would be. Ended up skipping through and cutting it short. Scare factor 1/10. More interested in the bully getting slaughtered and all he gets is shoved into a well? Garbage.

I've never seen Hell House LLC.. and my honest reasoning? The name just sounded too stupid to me (Limited Liability Company? Really?) and anytime I came across it, I just wound up watching something different. It also felt like a movie that was too similar to others that came out in the 2010's.. like Haunt, Hell fest, Dark Ride.

But I'll have to give it a shot.

Reactions: entropy13
I've never seen Hell House LLC.. and my honest reasoning? The name just sounded too stupid to me (Limited Liability Company? Really?) and anytime I came across it, I just wound up watching something different. It also felt like a movie that was too similar to others that came out in the 2010's.. like Haunt, Hell fest, Dark Ride.

It just refers to the name of the company that's the subject of the movie and which stages haunted houses at different locations each year.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

I’ve been very upset this Halloween at the amount of crap movies. I hate Netflix movies and what’s been done to the movie business in general. It used to be able to tell what’s a real movie from generic bullshit. Just check the theatre. Now I can figure out what’s what at all.

Tried IT last week. Total trash. Can’t believe anyone though that was a decent movie.

I’ve been having to go back to past movies just to get something.

Well I tried Hell House LLC, and finally I found something that made my eyes constantly shift to my closet door just to “make sure”. Lol.

I thought it was a really cool movie. Definitely worth watching. Best Halloween flic I’ve seen this year I’d say. I appreciate everyone recommending it.

Is it 10/10? No. But it’s worth watching which is a step up from what I’ve been dealing with.

You should watch it. You al least won’t regret it. It’s good enough for me that personally I wouldn’t watch it in the woods alone. Creeped me the hell out.

The only thing I regret about Hell House is not enough visuals in the basement ending.

If someone cares to take the time, what exactly happened down there?

Reactions: wildcatsboston1984
I’ve been very upset this Halloween at the amount of crap movies. I hate Netflix movies and what’s been done to the movie business in general. It used to be able to tell what’s a real movie from generic bullshit. Just check the theatre. Now I can figure out what’s what at all.

Tried IT last week. Total trash. Can’t believe anyone though that was a decent movie.

I’ve been having to go back to past movies just to get something.

Well I tried Hell House LLC, and finally I found something that made my eyes constantly shift to my closet door just to “make sure”. Lol.

I thought it was a really cool movie. Definitely worth watching. Best Halloween flic I’ve seen this year I’d say. I appreciate everyone recommending it.

Is it 10/10? No. But it’s worth watching which is a step up from what I’ve been dealing with.

You should watch it. You al least won’t regret it. It’s good enough for me that personally I wouldn’t watch it in the woods alone. Creeped me the hell out.

Might have to watch it tonight. I never turn down a horror movie.. but with this one I think the name was just slightly off enough that I always ended up landing on something different.

If you want something bleak and dreadful, watch The Dark and The Wicked. A total gut-punch of a movie, and if you're feeling like a lot of these movies have been crap, I think this one will fill the void. Don't even watch the trailer, as it gives a little too much away IMO.

Reactions: Gromcat
Might have to watch it tonight. I never turn down a horror movie.. but with this one I think the name was just slightly off enough that I always ended up landing on something different.

If you want something bleak and dreadful, watch The Dark and The Wicked. A total gut-punch of a movie, and if you're feeling like a lot of these movies have been crap, I think this one will fill the void. Don't even watch the trailer, as it gives a little too much away IMO.

Gonna check that out. It’s to the point where dying for horror / suspense of any kind that just doesn’t totally suck.

The name LLC is just there because a group of guys bought an old abandoned small hotel and were turning it into a business model / haunted house tour building. Hell House LLC is just the name of their company.

Gonna check that out. It’s to the point where dying for horror / suspense of any kind that just doesn’t totally suck.

The name LLC is just there because a group of guys bought an old abandoned small hotel and were turning it into a business model / haunted house tour building. Hell House LLC is just the name of their company.

What sort of horror are you into? I've seen quite a bit and can make recommendations.

What sort of horror are you into? I've seen quite a bit and can make recommendations.

Im not a movie buff that knows the difference lol. But I like typical demon possession / ghost / or creepy shit that makes me not want to go out to the car after watching it. Usually that consists of a demon but not always. Good thrillers too.

Im not a movie buff that knows the difference lol. But I like typical demon possession / ghost / or creepy shit that makes me not want to go out to the car after watching it. Usually that consists of a demon but not always. Good thrillers too.

The Dark and the Wicked is definitely evil/demon.

For possession.. the Autopsy of Jane Doe was fantastic.

If you're a fan of Lovecraft/cosmic horror (the thought of a greater being we can't fathom, the abyss, emptiness).. The Void was great. Creepy and gory. Of course, Even Horizon must be mentioned if you haven't already seen that.

The Dark and the Wicked is definitely evil/demon.

For possession.. the Autopsy of Jane Doe was fantastic.

If you're a fan of Lovecraft/cosmic horror (the thought of a greater being we can't fathom, the abyss, emptiness).. The Void was great. Creepy and gory. Of course, Even Horizon must be mentioned if you haven't already seen that.

Man thanks a ton. I don’t even know how to keep up with all of the steaming stuff going on. I’m gonna shoot for the autopsy of JD next and work from there on your list.

It was just a lot easier to go to blockbuster and grab 4 or 5 new releases lol.

You might not like
HH LLC, but I don’t think you’ll give it below a 5/10.

Man thanks a ton. I don’t even know how to keep up with all of the steaming stuff going on. I’m gonna shoot for the autopsy of JD next and work from there on your list.

It was just a lot easier to go to blockbuster and grab 4 or 5 new releases lol.

You might not like
HH LLC, but I don’t think you’ll give it below a 5/10.

I honestly like almost every horror movie I've seen in some way. There's only a select few I don't like. I'm a true fan of the genre, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I honestly like almost every horror movie I've seen in some way. There's only a select few I don't like. I'm a true fan of the genre, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I love possession movies. I’ll see one people say sucked and be blown away because I couldn’t even go into my living room after it.

It's not exactly "posession".. but Invasion of the Bodysnatchers with Donald Sutherland and Leonard Nemoy is VERY good. A classic, even. It's an older movie, and I sometimes struggle with the pacing of older horror movies (part because of modern horror, part ADHD).. but it's a good one.

1. The Exorcist
2. The Shining
3. Twilight Zone the Movie
4. Amityville Horror
5. Poltergeist.

1-5 are the movies that scared/scarred me most. I saw them all before the age of 10, I saw The Shining when I was around six.

6. Halloween 1&2
7. Nightmare on Elm St.
8. Friday the 13th 1-4
9. The Thing
10. Hellraiser

6-10 are movies I still saw way too young but they were fun. My friends and i would argue over which were the best kills.

11. The Ring
12. The Conjuring series.
13. It Follows

11-13 are movies I saw as an adult but made me want to be a scared kid again. Just very well made and executed movies that stuck with me.

Very little horror's ever scared me. The Children, The Thing, and Poltergeist all did the trick when I was a kid, though.

Pascal Laugier's Martyrs didn't frighten me but offhand I can't think of any other horror movie I've viewed as an adult that bothered me as much as it did.

Bodies Bodies Bodies was the first real letdown for me this year (well aside from Halloween Ends).

An annoying MTV style horror movie with awful Gen Z college kids (and I mean so bad you will have second thoughts on having kids in 2022), lame kills and terrible horror movie decisions. The only thing worth while is the funny twist and Pete Davidson provided some decent comic relief.

The whole premise is based on a group of friends who host a house party, and play a game to find who the killer is, like "Clue". But Pete Davidson's character is actually found dead, and sets off this who-done-it scenario, and most of these college-y characters don't really like each other, so they end up killing each other. Some in self defense, others get killed out of hatred and spite.. well it turns out Pete wasn't killed, but he accidentally killed himself trying to film himself opening a champagne bottle with a sword and cut his own neck LOL. So the whole thing was basically kicked off because of an accident.

Last edited:
BTW, this is the kill count for the movie that everyone it talking about (horror fans anyways). I recommend going to see this anyways to support the film as it's fairly "indie". But if you know you won't see it and just want to see the brutal kills, this is what you're looking for.

Warning: NSFW and extremely brutal. Not for the squeamish.

Have deicded to finish sppoky season with my second rewatch of the season of Hell House. Really is just a fantastic movie. The acting is unbelievably good for such a low budget, indie horror movie.

Just watched Barbarian.. Kind of a letdown as well. Now, this wasn't bad or anything, and I'd say it was "good". But for how hyped it was, I was underwhelmed. Nothing big happens for the first like, hour/hour and a half. And for all this talk about it being this crazy horror trip.. I didn't see it. It was a weird spin-off of the "Don't Breath" premise with the monster from "I am Legend".

Damn, how've we gotten this far in this thread, and I failed to mention The Sadness?

Absolute blood orgy Asian zombie film with an actual good storyline. Makes most movies look positively tame.

I watched Hell House LLC last night after recommendation here. I was smh for the first 20-30 minutes then started descending into it

I see there is a 2 and 3 but reviews are awful on the sequels. Are they something to skip?

I watched Hell House LLC last night after recommendation here. I was smh for the first 20-30 minutes then started descending into it

I see there is a 2 and 3 but reviews are awful on the sequels. Are they something to skip?

Yep, watched this too. I liked it. Simple but pretty effective "found footage" movie. Although they didn't do the best job explaining the reason for why the staff HAD to stay and finish the movie. Unless I missed it (which is a very real possibility with how I watch movies and miss shit), but I read about it later, and many other people were confused.

They had to stay because the company wasn't doing well financially, and it's why the head guy was pushing for this so much, why they had to stay there and not a hotel, etc.

Good rec @Gromcat , was a solid movie. I thought the camera guy was pretty funny, too. Seems like how I'd be if I was filming this lol.

I also can;t imagine the sequels are good, as usually this stuff turns into cash grab.

I started the first sequel but quickly lost interest as it was just silly with a dumb premise. I imagine the next one is even worse.

Let Barbarian marinate overnight.. and I'm still not impressed. The people who gave it negative reviews all felt the same as me: "Why are people raving about this movie?". The characters made too many dumb choices. I feel you need to suspend some disbelief in horror.. but decisions still need to be somewhat plausible. Very ham-fisted.

Back story needed more explanation. And introducing Justin Long midway through the movie really ate into valuable time. You spend almost an hour building up with the two main characters.. some shit happens for 10 minutes, and then we pivot to build up an additional character for another 20 minutes.

Curious what others thought.

Reactions: christophero
I liked Barbarian. Is it overrated? Probably. But those underground tunnel scenes were intense, and I liked the flashback. But the ending just turned into a dumb horror movie. Good but not great. But way better than Halloween Kills and Smile. Smile was pretty creepy.

I liked Barbarian. Is it overrated? Probably. But those underground tunnel scenes were intense, and I liked the flashback. But the ending just turned into a dumb horror movie. Good but not great. But way better than Halloween Kills and Smile. Smile was pretty creepy.

Yeah I wish we got a little more detail on the flashback. We know the guy was interbreeding with his own family.. but what was the need to pretend to be a workman and unlock people's windows? I imagine to break in at night, but for what? Was he stealing babies or something.

The tunnel scenes were ok. But one of the big scares got spoiled in the trailer (skaarsgard crawling out).. after that I dont recall much that stood out.. Although the long shots of the dark tunnel were suspenseful.

Halloween Ends was just bad. But I did see a writer make an interesting comment. He wonders if H:Ends will eventually grow as an entry over time. And he pointed out how many horror movies were hated when they came out. It's interesting. Maybe it's a movie that pivoted so much, it will eventually become a welcome edition.

I thought the guy was breaking into women's houses so he could kidnap them and keep them captive in the tunnels. I get the sense he did this to a lot of people, as there were all those cages. I'd have to see it again to make sure. I don't think HE will ever be regarded well haha. It's just bad filmmaking.

This was the first movie I remember seeing Anthony Hopkins in, became an immediate fan of his.

I remembered it from early college days and I really liked it. I saw it on iTunes a couple weeks ago for $4.99 and bought it. A very well done movie, maybe not scary in a traditional sense but an unstable mind can be terrifying.

And yes Anthony Hopkins played it very well.

I thought the guy was breaking into women's houses so he could kidnap them and keep them captive in the tunnels. I get the sense he did this to a lot of people, as there were all those cages. I'd have to see it again to make sure. I don't think HE will ever be regarded well haha. It's just bad filmmaking.

I'm always bad at connecting the story line on the first go, so you're probably right. But that asks another question, why isn't anyone looking for these missing people?

But still, better than Halloween Ends. I still have so much more to watch.. but for as much as I love horror movies, I shift right to the Christmas season after halloween.

Yep, watched this too. I liked it. Simple but pretty effective "found footage" movie. Although they didn't do the best job explaining the reason for why the staff HAD to stay and finish the movie. Unless I missed it (which is a very real possibility with how I watch movies and miss shit), but I read about it later, and many other people were confused.

They had to stay because the company wasn't doing well financially, and it's why the head guy was pushing for this so much, why they had to stay there and not a hotel, etc.

Good rec @Gromcat , was a solid movie. I thought the camera guy was pretty funny, too. Seems like how I'd be if I was filming this lol.

I also can;t imagine the sequels are good, as usually this stuff turns into cash grab.

Yea I thought so too man. Simple, and just sort of trips on ya. I feel like so many people want to act like a bad ass with horror movies. “That shit sucked”. Every single damn horror movie lol. Like they want to pretend they’re too good for it and too tough to be afraid. Horror movies to me aren’t meant to necessarily “scare” an adult to death. But if they seem like a situation where you think “ I’m glad I’m on my couch and not in that house” or you catch yourself pausing for some noise you’d otherwise ignore? Lol. To me that’s when it’s okay to say cool horror movie. And I feel like Hell House hit that mark.

Number 2 is worth watching. Not as good, but okay to catch especially since it gives you something in the “wish it didn’t end” category.

Number 3 is totally retarded. If I were you I’d just let someone tell you what happened so you get the gist of the story. Not at all worth watching. I mean the lead evil guy legit says “you can’t stop me!!!” Like a kid’s transformers movie lol. It was awful. Hard to believe they couldn’t do better than that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT