ADVERTISEMENT

Round 2 What horror movie scared you the most and you're favorite

michaeluk26

Senior
Feb 15, 2013
Scariest-The Exorcist by far. It seriously traumatized me. If you haven't read the book yet, do so. It's more terrifying than the movie.

Favorite-A Nightmare on Elm Street for not only having by far the scariest slasher, at least parts 1-3 and New Nightmare, but also the most brilliant horror concept ever.

I watched the Exorcist when I was about 10 years old at a friends house and didn't sleep right for a while after that. It definitely traumatized me

Other movies gave me a fright, but nothing else has affected me like that did. Obviously I was too young for that movie.

Reactions: michaeluk26
Covic17- a movie about a lab engineered virus from snakes that killed people at the avg death rate, but instead was labeled a pandemic and govts used it to kill or enslave millions and give them experimental substances without revealing the contents to anyone. Still resonates with me even today. It's comparable to Invasion of the Bodysnatchers in intensity (the one with Donald Sutherland).

Older movies that really creeped me out-

Hoosiers -indiana basketball folk... need I say more

Dirty dancing - still haven't seen it, but the thought of seeing it creeps me out. That counts, right?

Anything with Meryl Streep or Fane Jonda, Amy Schumer or Charlize Theron always creeps me out.

Sort of feel stupid admitting it, but I watched all of the ones you all mentioned and although scary did not terrify me as much as Piranha 2 did. The thought of a small fish that could eat you was 1 thing but a fish that could fly and eat you as well was over the top for 6-7 year old me.

• Haha
As a kid the movie that scared me the most by far was children of the corn and ….

AmpleFloweryHousefly-max-1mb.gif
Sleep away camp

My favorite of all time is probably
Jason I guess for slasher. I like the conjuring for straight creepiness maybe.

The Howling had me and my little brother hiding behind the movie seats. I was 13.

Poltergeist did a number on me as well. That stupid clown that everybody knew was coming for the kid and it still scared the piss out of me.

Didn't care too much for The Descent. Might have been the last horror movie I ever watched.

As a kid the movie that scared me the most by far was children of the corn and ….

AmpleFloweryHousefly-max-1mb.gif
Sleep away camp

My favorite of all time is probably
Jason I guess for slasher. I like the conjuring for straight creepiness maybe.
Excellent twist ending. The mom creeped me out more than anyone.

The original Last House on the Left for me. Rape scene stuck with me for a while. Tough scene for a kid to watch.

Scariest scenes:

Not a horror movie but the Russian roulette scene(s) in The Deer Hunter had me on the edge of my seat.

I watched The Shining the week if came out. You could hear a pin drop during the twins/big wheel scene.

Last edited:
Scariest as a kid: The Child's Play movies. Man, I remember at department stores or the mall, they'd have a poster of Child's Play 2, and i would be legit scared to even sift through the posters and come across it. Took me quite a while before I could watch those. The Shining, especially the blow-job bear scene, was terrifying.

Scariest now: Event Horizon is up there. Anything cosmic or lovecraft-ian. Things that are beyond humanity and lurking. Another movie that does a good job with that "dread" feeling, more recently was The Dark and The Wicked. Instilled a real sense of dread, watched it only a few months ago, basically with my eyes covered most of the time in suspense. I also saw Paranormal Activity in theaters the day it came out, and even though we knew it had to be faked, it was still had that "did this happen?" suspense.. I couldn't sleep for WEEKS. I don't think any movie had a better roller coaster effect of suspense than PA, as it went from day to night. When the title showed "Day 3 Night" the theater was going bonkers in

Favorite is The Thing. Goes without saying. It's the GOAT of horror movies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catemus and chroix
I’ve never been scared by horror movies but I saw Blade Runner when I was 12 and Rutger Hauer pushing that nail through his own hand is burned into my soul.

The exorcist 3 scene where the nurse gets chased by that thing in white with shears is probably one of the best jump scares. The entire build up to it is great.

The insidious jump scare with the demon is great too.

Favorite horror movie would have to be the first texas chainsaw massacre. I think it still holds up and the age/video quality to the film makes it scarier now.

Hereditary just made me feel dreadful the entire time.

Sinister

The vvitch

The Strangers

Also used to love Friday the 13ths as a kid...went back and watched them.and they're so bad. Manhattan is diarrhea on film. And the first nightmare on elm Street is good and 3 is pretty good, but the rest are basically comedies.

Poltergeist and the exorcist were messed up. They were supposedly based on real events etc. Elm st as a kid was terrifying on the premise alone. Being hunted down and mutilated in your dreams and no one could save you was deep for a youngster.

Not really scary per se but arachnaphobia got me. Would sleep fully clothed and socks and a hoody pulled over my head for weeks after that. Would always check the shower and under my blankets and pillows. Hate spiders.

The Evil Dead and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

The demon in the cellar screaming that she’d swallow the souls of her friends in The Evil Dead freaked me the hell out. It was supposed to be a fun movie. I did not have fun. Henry felt so real, like a documentary. I remember looking out the front window imagining someone was going to break in. I was horrified during one infamous scene and just sat in silence at the ending. Just a sad, brutal film.

Reactions: JStaff2187
As mentioned above, Event Horizon is a very good, somewhat under-the-radar movie that combines two of my favorite genres, sci-fi and horror. Excellent cast. Wish they'd made a director's cut at some point; there were apparently about 2-3 minutes of footage that were supposedly very disturbing that got cut to make the "R" rating versus NC-17.

Alien is another classic that blends both horror and sci-fi and was legit scary.

The Strangers and Sinister are also both very solid horror flicks.

Hereditary was a(n) (unintentional) comedy, change my mind. Saw it in the theater near my house with quite a diverse cross-section of society in the audience. Folks were cracking up at various parts of the movie, and afterward were basically just chuckling and like "WTF was that?"

The Witch is great if you like atmospheric horror. I thought it was really well done, but probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Reactions: chroix and Gromcat
Scariest as a kid: The Child's Play movies. Man, I remember at department stores or the mall, they'd have a poster of Child's Play 2, and i would be legit scared to even sift through the posters and come across it. Took me quite a while before I could watch those. The Shining, especially the blow-job bear scene, was terrifying.

Scariest now: Event Horizon is up there. Anything cosmic or lovecraft-ian. Things that are beyond humanity and lurking. Another movie that does a good job with that "dread" feeling, more recently was The Dark and The Wicked. Instilled a real sense of dread, watched it only a few months ago, basically with my eyes covered most of the time in suspense. I also saw Paranormal Activity in theaters the day it came out, and even though we knew it had to be faked, it was still had that "did this happen?" suspense.. I couldn't sleep for WEEKS. I don't think any movie had a better roller coaster effect of suspense than PA, as it went from day to night. When the title showed "Day 3 Night" the theater was going bonkers in

Favorite is The Thing. Goes without saying. It's the GOAT of horror movies.

I was still young enough when paranormal came out that I asked the age old question….

Is this based on a true story? We weren’t really google savvy to the extreme yet. So we naturally let the question linger.

Same with the Blair Witch Project. We completely allowed ourself to know it was real footage.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I wonder how many rapist serial killers were born from growing up in the 80’s/90’s watching teen sex with a knife in the chest for the finish?

I was still young enough when paranormal came out that I asked the age old question….

Is this based on a true story? We weren’t really google savvy to the extreme yet. So we naturally let the question linger.

Same with the Blair Witch Project. We completely allowed ourself to know it was real footage.

Hahah Yeah I really don't have an excuse.. I was like 22 maybe.. and I think deep down I knew it was fake, but it WAS the first day, no one knew anything about it, and because there wasn't anything inherently too unbelievable or remotely violent (until the last 2 min) , I think the thought was that this could really be some found footage of weird occurances.

That movie was masterclass in how to viral market things. I know BWP came out before it, but this came out in the social media age. It was perfectly done.

Reactions: Gromcat
There was another I can’t remember what the name was that is planted in my mind as a kid. Some movie with a sister upstairs that never left the bed with some kind of medical condition. Her body would contort in all kinds of weird ways or some shit freaky as hell in my mind even now. Just can’t remember the movie.

Hahah Yeah I really don't have an excuse.. I was like 22 maybe.. and I think deep down I knew it was fake, but it WAS the first day, no one knew anything about it, and because there wasn't anything inherently too unbelievable or remotely violent (until the last 2 min) , I think the thought was that this could really be some found footage of weird occurances.

That movie was masterclass in how to viral market things. I know BWP came out before it, but this came out in the social media age. It was perfectly done.

Shit I matured slow I was in my 20’s too when paranormal came out. I think Blair Witch was like middle school though. We really believed that shit was real footage. Puts that movie from the trash bin to HOF real quick.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT