ADVERTISEMENT

Rogers in portal

Well that blows....but if this is NIL....is Rogers really commanding a bunch of NIL? He's solid but he's not great by any stretch. Walker as a Fr was a good bit better IMO.

It will be interesting to see where e lands if this is NIL-ish.

DT - Ox/Saunders
NG - Walker/Dinkins/Hayes
DE - Rybka?

Is that the DL rotation? If so, Ox needs to fatten back up and play back to his 2021 levels.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Let him take his fat ass the hell on out of here. Not going to do anything til he gets in shape. Immature, heart not really into it. Won’t be missed. We have better players that will step up.

Why would a defensive lineman care about how many point the offense scores? 😂

Several reasons actually. Some of which follow-

1. Viewership. Viewers want to watch offense. It's a fact. They like a team that scores. The more they watch the team, the more the defensive players get publicity.

2. Efficiency. No one wants to see their efforts go to waste. The defense worked their asses off in this game, like many others, but have nothing to show for it.

3. Durability. How many snaps do you have in a career? It's as simple a question as that. If our offense was really productive, that might have cut the defensive plays in half, leading to fewer snaps and possibly more years in the business for defensive personnel.

No doubt. Jmo but he wants the same nil as walker. No way he deserves it. No way he gets it elsewhere. If he wants to leave out of principle, it's fine but no one is opening the checkbook for a nose that doesn't require a double team

At this point, someone would open their checkbook just to hurt UKs depth and perception. We can't take the next step if we don't have depth of talent. We'll see how it plays out

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Everybody is tampering at this point

It's bad right now, UGA has multiple players being contacted by reps from various teams. AU is bad right now, OM is too. UGA will have multiple players hit the portal next week. Expect some from both sides of the ball,but waiting to see if they can get a ring.

At this point, someone would open their checkbook just to hurt UKs depth and perception. We can't take the next step if we don't have depth of talent. We'll see how it plays out
Lack of depth is the killer. UK lost a NT last year when Jones was arrested and never made it to campus then didn't sign a NT in the current class. CANNOT go 2-3 years without signing NTs, it'll just kill you 2-3 years down the road. I suspect UK will try to salvage Rogers, hit the portal themselves or try to find a JUCO. Rogers had a good year despite what some think and with the success McCall/Q are having should be a destination for NTs.

Because he is on the field all day after constant 3 and outs and playing from behind all of the time. If we ever got any nice leads on teams we could develop more depth by playing more players. Maybe he feels he is being misused. I don’t know but I hope this clears it up a bit for you.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Several reasons actually. Some of which follow-

1. Viewership. Viewers want to watch offense. It's a fact. They like a team that scores. The more they watch the team, the more the defensive players get publicity.

2. Efficiency. No one wants to see their efforts go to waste. The defense worked their asses off in this game, like many others, but have nothing to show for it.

3. Durability. How many snaps do you have in a career? It's as simple a question as that. If our offense was really productive, that might have cut the defensive plays in half, leading to fewer snaps and possibly more years in the business for defensive personnel.
I think you're stretching it....their is smoke that NIL/tampering is afoot makes a ton more sense than Rogers was upset the offense was bad in Music City Bowl w/o Levis and CRod.

Reactions: UKat1 and yoshukai
Two weeks to go before portal cutoff. That is a long time to sweat it out. Maybe we can pick up another DL by then. Then have to worry about the spring portal I think the first two weeks of May.

Because contrary to whatever the small gears turning in your head says you have to score points to win, which we was pretty terrible at.
Tbh if I was a defensive player I’d be pissed at the O.
Defense played good enough to win any game we played besides maybe UT. The offense cost us the big year.

I think you're stretching it....their is smoke that NIL/tampering is afoot makes a ton more sense than Rogers was upset the offense was bad in Music City Bowl w/o Levis and CRod.
But that doesn't fit the agenda of those intent on minimizing anything and everything having to do with UK football.

DYK Rogers ended the year on the XP/FG unit after some tries were blocked?

This is going to happen more and more often. UK is getting left in the dust on NIL.

Well i get this sentiment...but UK held onto alot more than other schools (Heck we got top line guys from some schools).

This whole "UK needs to get it's NIL where it needs to be"....UK probably paid a pretty penny to get Leary and Cox. I'd imagine Ray Davis as well. Plus had to fend off to keep Walker, Brown, etc...of the current players. Jones was lamenting that the Craft family had to pony up to ensure Leary to UK.

So, this entire escapade that we have to pay up more to keep kids we've recruited and developed from schools with likely more resources is just plain silly in the end.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Calling this a massive loss is a bit much. He has never lived up to the 5 star status. Hayes has been more productive and disruptive
The alarming part isn't 1 guy

The aspect that ought to alarm smart fans is the alleged reason why this 1 guy is leaving

The part that ought to worry those paying attention is how many more feel like Justin

Calling this a massive loss is a bit much. He has never lived up to the 5 star status. Hayes has been more productive and disruptive
This is a bit much imo. He’s has higher production than Hayes in all categories except Hayes has one pass break up. He would have started last year if not for an eventual NFL nose on the 2022 team.

Now, there’s probably a longer debate to be had about measuring the value of noses with their prep rankings. Also, if he’s a NFL player (I think so).

…But I wouldn’t minimize his departure either. This is easily the first transfer that stings this year.

No Hayes has not been more productive...hell he's behind Rogers and Dinkins at NG

The aspect that ought to alarm smart fans is the alleged reason why this 1 guy is leaving

The part that ought to worry those paying attention is how many more feel like Justin
And the fact that it's going to take NIL money to get a 1 for 1 replacement out of the portal.
This is going to continue to be a problem going forward. Even if KY progresses as a program, that's just going to make it more attractive for the Michigan's and TAMU's of the college FB world to pilfer our better players. There isn't enough NIL money available in KY to stand up to programs with deep pocket boosters.

No Hayes has not been more productive...hell he's behind Rogers and Dinkins at NG
Hayes was hurt the last third of the year which opened the door for Dinkins, Hayes finally returned for bowl. Saunders has been hurt, DNP in bowl but Anaele did.

Reactions: The-Hack
Maybe! But also maybe not...

The backup in bowl game was redshirt freshman Jamarius Dinkins (high three star w/ multiple P5 offers), and on Senior Day, and most of regular season, it was Josiah Hayes who will be a senior with a COVID year remaining.

If they can get someone good I'm sure they'll hit the portal; otherwise, they got some depth coming back. I'm not sure how many nose guards are in the portal you'd pay big NIL for over what you have proven that's returning.
JR mentioned Dinkins could be moved there. Ifk where he played in the bowl game but he had 10 snaps and Hayes had 9

JR mentioned Dinkins could be moved there. Ifk where he played in the bowl game but he had 10 snaps and Hayes had 9
Dinkins showing up as second string at NG for the bowl when Hayes had been second string all year makes me think UK maybe knew Rogers was leaving after the bowl and they were giving Dinkins reps there. I figured prior it just meant that Hayes was banged up which may still be the actual case as far as I know. But, Hayes will be his 4th year in the program so he's probably what he's going to be at this point.

@JHB4UK, question for you regarding NIL. I’m guessing that UK ponied up top $ for Leary. So, do you think it is the lack of total NIL, or how existing NIL was distributed? (Again, I‘m guessing Walker got a big piece of the pie to stay at UK.)

I’m confused that UK can get enough NIL $ to do well in portal, keep top freshmen out of the portal, but not have enough NIL to keep Rogers.

I agree 110% that UK can only go to top 5-7 donors so many times before the well dries up. Longterm NIL success will have to be built on grassroots, and I’m not confident UK can succeed in that area.

Here’s my guess at Roger’s situation. There’s a limited amount of NIL dollars that was mainly spent on QB, LT, and top freshmen. The remaining NIL is spread out among returning starters. Stoops decided to spend money on underclassmen instead of upperclassmen. Walker‘s NIL value is higher than Rogers’s value which is a hit to a young man’s pride. Again, this is 100% conjecture.

I agree with your question, “How many more feel like Justin?” Yet, how many times does this same scenario play out in the everyday workforce. There’s a limited amount of $ for payroll and bonuses. Some reap benefits, and others feel slighted.

The only good news (I don’t find a lot of good news related to NIL) is that this same scenario is playing out with most other teams. There should be some good DL that enter the portal between now and end of spring.

I recall the staff saying that Rogers has really done good things in the latter half of the season. My recollection is that they said he has not reached his potential. Hopefully, he reaches his potential at his next location and fulfills his NFL dream. I wish him well.

@JHB4UK, question for you regarding NIL. I’m guessing that UK ponied up top $ for Leary. So, do you think it is the lack of total NIL, or how existing NIL was distributed? (Again, I‘m guessing Walker got a big piece of the pie to stay at UK.)

I’m confused that UK can get enough NIL $ to do well in portal, keep top freshmen out of the portal, but not have enough NIL to keep Rogers.

I agree 110% that UK can only go to top 5-7 donors so many times before the well dries up. Longterm NIL success will have to be built on grassroots, and I’m not confident UK can succeed in that area.

Here’s my guess at Roger’s situation. There’s a limited amount of NIL dollars that was mainly spent on QB, LT, and top freshmen. The remaining NIL is spread out among returning starters. Stoops decided to spend money on underclassmen instead of upperclassmen. Walker‘s NIL value is higher than Rogers’s value which is a hit to a young man’s pride. Again, this is 100% conjecture.

I agree with your question, “How many more feel like Justin?” Yet, how many times does this same scenario play out in the everyday workforce. There’s a limited amount of $ for payroll and bonuses. Some reap benefits, and others feel slighted.

The only good news (I don’t find a lot of good news related to NIL) is that this same scenario is playing out with most other teams. There should be some good DL that enter the portal between now and end of spring.

Experienced interior DL entering the portal are right there with skill players. He will have several P5 options and multiple SEC options.

Reactions: bballcat4
Tennessee and Auburn hot on his trail...just another example of Stoops inability to recruit top classes and maintain them.

Tennessee and Auburn hot on his trail...just another example of Stoops inability to recruit top classes and maintain them.
What do you call Stoops’ ability to recruit and keep top freshmen? I guarantee you they were in higher demand than Rogers. (And I think Rogers is a very good player.)

My point, if you place blame for Rogers then you must give credit for keeping Key, Brown, and Walker. If a person can’t do both then they just have an agenda and see only the info that supports their agenda.

Man this stuff brings them out.
Stoops has been and continues to be excellent at retaining contributing memebers of the team. Overall have lost very few that hurt, but have brought in several from HS that rode till the end and several from the portal that helped immensely.
(Will/Wandale/Dare ect).
I’d give stoops a overall 9.5 on keeping his guys. That’s a terrible take.

The group clueless as to what NIL is and how it works continues to throw out wild speculations that is then accepted as truth then repeated over and over. These are the same people who think you can only give to one collective and you could only start giving to it a few weeks ago. This is how their lies build, all from a cryptic tweet from cult leader Daddy Matt

I keep seeing people talking about Dinkins filling the spot. Folks, Dinkins is 6'5" and weighs 280 lbs. How many 280 pounders do you see playing NG in a 3-4 defense in a league such as the SEC? He has the right size to play end. But if we have to play him at NG, we're probably in deep, deep trouble unless he eats a whole lot more beans and taters in the off-season.

All the Ding Bats that use to watch All In The Family seem to have come out of the wood works. IMO Roger's didn't like playing with Walker, he got too much praise, from everyone. Thought he'd look better somewhere else helping his draft status.

My guess is that Stoops had to make a business decision on how to divy up the NIL pot that was available to him like bballcat4 stated.

No inside info but I suspect this is exactly it. The "nil issue" is that he feels he isn't getting an appropriate cut while watching walker get much more. Unfortunately for him, walker is worth more; way more.

We'll see what happens but the distribution of nil funds will be this staff's next big obstacle

The group clueless as to what NIL is and how it works continues to throw out wild speculations that is then accepted as truth then repeated over and over. These are the same people who think you can only give to one collective and you could only start giving to it a few weeks ago. This is how their lies build, all from a cryptic tweet from cult leader Daddy Matt
Whether people like MJ or not, I think he is right about NIL from this standpoint. 1) Our NIL is currently dependent on a very few big donors. This is not sustainable. 2) Our AD is very opposed to NIL, and is not energetically promoting NIL. (I’m not anti-Mitch, but his dislike & lack of energy relating to NIL is obvious to everyone. Well … most everyone.) 3) Very few people knew HOW to contribute to any collective before a few weeks ago.

This post isn’t about MJ, but I don’t disagree with his statements about UK being late to the NIL game. It feels like MB was forced to do NIL, and he came kicking and screaming.

You can guarantee whatever collective the Crafts choose to channel their NIL contributions through is the preferred collective of the coaches and administration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT