ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Pitino with a message for BBN

Here's my question: Rick Pitino, Andy Katz, Jimmy Dykes, Seth Davis, Sam Vecinie, Fran Fraschilla and several other college basketball "experts" are all raving about this hire and Pope's ability to coach.

I wonder, what's stopping you from being excited and supportive of it as well?

The Incredibles Pixar GIF by Walt Disney Studios

I spent about 2 hours last night in a deep comparison between Danny Hurley, Who every Kentucky fan was about write a personal check to get, And mark pope. I realized it took Danny Hurley 12 years before he found any success. Year 13 and 14 were back to back titles which is impressive but before that it was NIT and first weekend exits. His first 4 years at UConn were abysmal. In fact pope is on a faster trajectory and imo is a better offensive mind than Hurley although I think Hurley has a better defensive acumen. I don’t see any reason why pope won’t have the same type of success at Kentucky given the time. So I started looking at this more as an investment. It could be a rough couple of seasons but he’s gonna have the tools and the passion to get the program there. The more exited we are as fans to support this dude the more players are gonna wanna play for him. That’s coming from someone who’s been super negative about this entire process.
It's funny you mention Hurley, because if we hired Hurley back when UConn did after his very limited success at Rhode Island the haters would be having the same response they are now. When he was hired by UConn his brother was considered the better coach.

I’m sold . This brought tears into my eyes. Thanks Rick , that was a classy and timely message. I am board now!

Pope is going to bleed blue and give it all.

Jeff , give Reed a chance to experience what did in Kentucky uniform. You know he is going to be in great hands now being coached by your Captain and roommate.

Big Z you got stay too baby!

Let’s go!

Rick’s endorsement is welcome, heartfelt, and insightful. Happy to have you back on our side, Rick. Pass along any tips you think Mark would benefit from on defense.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Damn you Rick for making me like you again. Well done sir.

Time is past to question this hire. It’s a done deal. I also was shocked and disappointed. Now it’s time for all of us to get behind our guy. Give him the fair shot he deserves. If he begins to fail, he is fair game just as anyone else would be.

Here's my question: Rick Pitino, Andy Katz, Jimmy Dykes, Seth Davis, Sam Vecinie, Fran Fraschilla and several other college basketball "experts" are all raving about this hire and Pope's ability to coach.

I wonder, what's stopping you from being excited and supportive of it as well?
He's mostly unproven, especially NCAAT wise. I'm willing to give him his fair shot.

Reactions: CatsFanIL
surely we are in the end of times. rick pitino getting love on rupp rafters?
😳

Pitino didn't have to put that message out there if he didn't want to, but he did anyway. I'm sure most of it is just supporting Mark. I hope he's right. As strange as this is to say, I would have been slightly more disappointed if Drew had been named. I'm not disappointed with Mark Pope at all, I'd just like to know that Barnhart made all of the top candidates say no first. Either way, I'm on board with seeing what Pope can do. I'm willing to give him more support right now than I would have Cal in his last several years.

Reactions: ala_kat2
The Pitino years at Kentucky were the best in college basketball.

I have this feeling that we are going to see this again with Pope.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Is Pitino making a play to be an assistant or something?

I think we've received more love from Pitino today than in the entirety of the time he's been gone from here.

I have done a 180 on this one. The combination of learning more about Pope’s offense and Rick’s endorsement video was powerful. I think we got our guy. I think he’s the next great one. Probably didn’t need to pay what we did but I won’t nitpick. LET’S GO

Reactions: 9timeChampion
Nice message and perspective. He did push for Ford and Pelphrey for previous openings though.
This. Those guys were terrible HC’s and Pitino wanted them at UK. Forgive me if I don’t care what his opinion is on the Pope hire.

No better judge of talent than Pitino no better coach so if he recommends Pope good enough for me.

It does. I've been sulking over the hire since last night, but I'm getting over it. It's done. Time to see what Mark can do. I'm optimistic.

What a great story it would be if Pope comes back and gets us #9.
Same. I stewed all day over it, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that change was always inevitable and we have to give him a shot. I'm ready

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
I love the hire. I also never stopped liking Pitino. I think he's always had UK in his heart. He brought the program back from the dead, won a championship, took us to the finals the next year, and put together them that won the title in 98. How can anyone not appreciate that?

Really cool he put out that video. I totally agree with what he's saying. I hope it helps the crazies on this board see the light.

That is quite possibly the happiest and proudest I've seen Rick Pitino since he left Kentucky back in 1997. And what an inspiring message!

Hell, I guess I am now fully onboard too. Let's do this! Succeed or fail, we now have a coach that represents what we hold dear, not some sleazy, snake oil salesman promoting his "brand" over the things that actually matter.

Mark Pope has a system that will allow him to take a group of unheralded players like "The Unforgettables" and kick John Calipari's ass and his roster full of "draft picks".
I haven't watched but a few minutes of UK basketball in three or four years........I am starting to get excited about what could be for UK's future.........my prediction is that Pope will bring excitement back to the program....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT