ADVERTISEMENT

Richie Farmer Files Bankruptcy

We all have missteps, to varying degrees.. I for one hope he finds happiness.

Just another example of how greed can cause the downfall of anyone who succumbs to the temptations that power and corruption can bring. We should all pray for this young man that if he has not turned to Jesus that he will do so and that by doing so he will be able to get his life back on track. It is our responsibility to do so.

Reactions: ukgrad2004
Classic case of you reap what you sow! Hope he fixes his situation, but he gets zero sympathy!

I'm surprised no one asked if he would be starting the next game.

If he did, how many points do you think he'd get? LOL!

Seriously though, I'm a little torn on RF. Certainly remember his role on some fun years of UK basketball, but OTOH I'm a taxpayer so still not happy at all with what he did.

I'm all for second chances and redemption, but it has to be earned. One of the first steps is to pay back all the $ to the state that he owes. I find it interesting that even with the skeletons, he can't find a decent paying job with his name (even with it being tainted) recognition.

I wonder if this article will bring it to Cal's attention to try and reach out to help him. Even though what RF did was reprehensible, once a member of the BBN always a member of the BBN. If RF has truly been humbled and genuinely wants to try to regain his respect/stature within the state, is there not some type of low level assistant job that he could do? Assistant video coordinator, etc.?

He has served his prison term. We are all taxpayers. lol at some of you. I bet you wouldn't want a magnifying glass under your world. I hope he finds peace and for the sake of his children.

If he did, how many points do you think he'd get? LOL!

Seriously though, I'm a little torn on RF. Certainly remember his role on some fun years of UK basketball, but OTOH I'm a taxpayer so still not happy at all with what he did.

I'm all for second chances and redemption, but it has to be earned. One of the first steps is to pay back all the $ to the state that he owes. I find it interesting that even with the skeletons, he can't find a decent paying job with his name (even with it being tainted) recognition.

I wonder if this article will bring it to Cal's attention to try and reach out to help him. Even though what RF did was reprehensible, once a member of the BBN always a member of the BBN. If RF has truly been humbled and genuinely wants to try to regain his respect/stature within the state, is there not some type of low level assistant job that he could do? Assistant video coordinator, etc.?
To your point of once a Bbn member, always so, I disagree. Porter, Pitino(wouldn't go anywhere near those guys or want them associated with the program). We have some skeletons whom I'd like to keep buried(except Pitino as he represents UcesspooL quite well). If you cheat and steal in public office, sexually assault anyone, or become the coach at Lewisville, you are out as a bbn member to me.

Well what he did was wrong but in comparison to some other politicians his wrongdoings were on the lower tier. Some are still in office. He is paying his debt. Has my sympathy. Politics corrupts so many .

Reactions: UKWildcatT
Is Reechie gonna eat?

Good thing he stayed and got that UK degree instead of leaving school early and going broke.

Well what he did was wrong but in comparison to some other politicians his wrongdoings were on the lower tier. Some are still in office. He is paying his debt. Has my sympathy. Politics corrupts so many .

After reading up on what he did, I don't think it is accurate to say that politics corrupted Richie. It would be more accurate to say that money corrupted him. Too many see the government as a source of free money for themselves and their families.

Reactions: Chuckinden
I'm sure many other Americans have filed for bankruptcy throughout the country....where are the articles on them, or why do we care about this?

He effed up and did his time for it....there are many out there who haven't been caught for their wrong doings. I couldn't care less about this.

I always think it's funny when people harp on stuff like this about "whoasme they had it all and threw it away"...okay, well it's not your life..why do you care. The same when people decide to stop playing sports...kinda like Manziel. Why do people care?

After reading up on what he did, I don't think it is accurate to say that politics corrupted Richie. It would be more accurate to say that money corrupted him. Too many see the government as a source of free money for themselves and their families.

I agree with much of what you say Preacherfan. But, I think it is more likely that athletics corrupted him. Too much adulation based on being a basketball star that started at a very young age in a community where he could do no wrong because of that basketball ability. When you grow up with that sense of entitlement (looking at you Donald Trump) it's probably pretty hard not to think you deserve and should be able to do whatever you want.

Reactions: preacherfan
I don't agree with everyone who says what a sad story it is. I don't see it that way. A sad story is the average person working 6 days a week 12 hour shifts and making an honest living without shafting those around them. People that work their ass off with little rest just to make ends meat, and have never been handed anything, especially positions they weren't qualified for. I hope he straightens things out but he doesn't get any sympathy from me.

I'm sure many other Americans have filed for bankruptcy throughout the country....where are the articles on them, or why do we care about this?

He effed up and did his time for it....there are many out there who haven't been caught for their wrong doings. I couldn't care less about this.

I always think it's funny when people harp on stuff like this about "whoasme they had it all and threw it away"...okay, well it's not your life..why do you care. The same when people decide to stop playing sports...kinda like Manziel. Why do people care?
If it has to be explained to you, then you will never understand.

Redemption is a strange thing because none of us really deserve it, but it was given anyway. Each of us have done things that are deserving of punishment in one form or another in our lives. It just so happens that most of us are not in a position where our actions hurt the public consciousness. What Farmer did raised the ire of many because he had been placed on a pedestal by many and received his station in life largely from the trust that he garnered from that position. When that trust was violated it is only natural to have the kind of repercussion that we see in so many of the comments here.
All of us have the right to redemption, but it must be earned. The hard times in life is what truly shows one's character, and hopefully he will take this opportunity to show himself worthy of respect. Mr. Farmer owes me nothing personally, but as fellow human being it would do my heart good to see that lessons have been learned and that he is at least trying to better himself.

Reactions: HipTer
I agree with much of what you say Preacherfan. But, I think it is more likely that athletics corrupted him. Too much adulation based on being a basketball star that started at a very young age in a community where he could do no wrong because of that basketball ability. When you grow up with that sense of entitlement (looking at you Donald Trump) it's probably pretty hard not to think you deserve and should be able to do whatever you want.

I can't really argue with that.

Reactions: HipTer
I don't agree with everyone who says what a sad story it is. I don't see it that way. A sad story is the average person working 6 days a week 12 hour shifts and making an honest living without shafting those around them. People that work their ass off with little rest just to make ends meat, and have never been handed anything, especially positions they weren't qualified for. I hope he straightens things out but he doesn't get any sympathy from me.

Just as a counter point P C Fan I see the story you described as a success story, not sad.

Hope to see him back on his feet.

Exactly. Having himself thrust back into the spotlight under the scope of Bankruptcy is bad enough. Having "fans" bash him when he's down doesn't make any sense to me. Yea, he made some mistakes, took some undue privileges but he was tried, convicted and served his sentence. I don't know the guy from Adam but I do have compassion for my fellow man and I have even more compassion for a guy who was part of one of these most loved basketball teams in my lifetime. If we start condemning folks on this site for being arrogant pricks, I am going to be quite lonely posting here by myself. Wish him luck, it's a true test of a man's character when he had been stripped of everything, including his dignity.

Reactions: FFWhite
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT