ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones Update

You really need to let go of the silly notion that guys are coming to play for the name on the front of the jersey. That started being phased out in the 90s, and was blown to pieces once NIL came about.

These kids want to get paid and they could care less whether it’s UK, Duke, or Toledo doing it. As long as those checks are clearing.
I think the quote actually means he is going to make them work their ass off in practice. More of a they will earn the right to wear this jersey kind of comment than they need to understand the significance when they sign up. Pope himself was a transfer and not from the state but he understands it. I think this also explains two defensive minded guys being the first to join him, those kind of guys aren’t scared of tough practices

Go fly in a private jet ever and you will know what you just typed is 100% uninformed. They can do it, and will be back in time for a nice dinner lol.
That went right over your head. I was saying you can do it in 3.5-4 hours in my previous post, Wildcat Whiskey was saying it can't be done, 5 hours minimum he said. READ THE THRED POST.

They're halfway back to Lex right now. So, WTF? Weird post. They're not flying Delta, they're using private jets.
Read my response to the other poster. I know you can, Wildcat Whiskey was the one saying 5 hours. I was telling the guy WW would doubt him.

Exactly why many were unimpressed with this hire. Xs & Os are great and all, but without the Jimmy's and Jo's, it doesn't matter. I'm 100% behind Pope, but.... nothing in his background proves that he can land talent at the level needed to win here.
Nothing proves anyone can do anything.

Sadly the name on the front of the uniform doesn't mean as much anymore to most recruits. It's all about the NIL $$$. Players have been getting 'paid' for years. Now it's on front street and legal.

Reactions: track42
Sadly the name on the front of the uniform doesn't mean as much anymore to most recruits. It's all about the NIL $$$. Players have been getting 'paid' for years. Now it's on front street and legal.
In my opinion agents were funneling money to players that were connected to certain coaches and telling them where to go to school. Cal distanced himself far enough from the money to not get caught

Exactly why many were unimpressed with this hire. Xs & Os are great and all, but without the Jimmy's and Jo's, it doesn't matter. I'm 100% behind Pope, but.... nothing in his background proves that he can land talent at the level needed to win here.
I’m coming around but I feel where you’re coming from. Pope has brought in some really nice pieces so far but we’re still waiting for a big one like Davis or Richmond.

Although I’ll say this too; I’m starting to feel like having a big NIL pot will be a bigger factor in landing top transfers and recruits than having an ace recruiter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT