ADVERTISEMENT

Richie Farmer Files Bankruptcy

Chuckinden

All-American
Jun 12, 2006
A guy that had life set up for him and squandered it all by being greedy and stupid, let alone being an arrogant prick.

BY BILL ESTEP

bestep@herald-leader.com

Kentucky basketball legend Richie Farmer, whose promising political career was derailed by accusations of misusing state money while he was agriculture commissioner, filed for bankruptcy this week as he tries to rebuild his life after serving time in prison.

The May 4 petition said Farmer is unemployed and living on $194 a month in food stamps and help from his parents, who give him an estimated $400 a month.

Farmer listed assets of $24,259, most of it in his state pension, and liabilities of $385,745.

The biggest debt is $207,904, which was the difference on what he owed on a house in Frankfort and what it brought at a foreclosure sale, according to the petition.

The second-biggest liability Farmer listed was $120,000 in restitution a judge ordered him to pay the state as part of his criminal case.

RICHIE FARMER FILED FOR CHAPTER 7 BANKRUPTCY, IN WHICH A JUDGE CAN ORDER SOME DEBTS WIPED CLEAN.

Farmer filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, in which a judge can order some debts wiped clean.

In Farmer’s case, the debts he is seeking to discharge include about $31,000 in credit-card charges and the shortfall on the foreclosure of his home.

Two debts that can’t be discharged through bankruptcy are Farmer’s court-ordered restitution and an estimated $15,000 in back child support, said his bankruptcy attorney, Matthew B. Bunch of Lexington.

Farmer, who once made $110,000 annually as a state officeholder, said in the petition that he has no property and that his savings and checking accounts are empty.

The assets he listed include $500 worth of furniture, $100 worth of clothes and $200 in cash, along with an estimated $23,000 in his state pension.

Farmer said he rents a home from his parents in Clay County, but he did not list a rent payment. He drives a 2007 Ford Taurus they own.

And the man who once brought fans to their feet with his jump shot said he owns no sports or exercise equipment.

Bunch said Farmer is trying to get back on his feet and is looking for a job where he can earn enough to make good on his obligations.

“He wants to make amends and pay what he owes to his family and his country,” Bunch said.

Having a criminal conviction doesn’t help in the job search, but Farmer is in good spirits, Bunch said.

“He just wants to move forward with his life,” Bunch said Friday. “If there’s anybody that can do it, he can. He’s got a tremendous character.”

Farmer, 46, led Clay County High School to a state basketball championship in 1987 and was a guard on the iconic 1991-92 University of Kentucky team dubbed “The Unforgettables” — players who hung on through a period of NCAA probation and helped Coach Rick Pitino rebuild the program.

UK retired his jersey, which hangs in Rupp Arena.

Farmer, a Republican, easily won terms as state agriculture commissioner in 2003 and 2007, but stumbled while running for lieutenant governor in 2011 after a critical audit. He and then-Senate President David Williams lost in their bid to knock Gov. Steve Beshear from office.

A federal grand jury later charged that Farmer had misused state money.

Among other things, he was accused of creating jobs for close friends who did little or no work; using state employees to build a basketball court at his house and chauffeur his dog; and taking a variety of property the state had paid for, including electronic equipment, guns, knives, refrigerators and filing cabinets.

He pleaded guilty to two counts of misappropriating public resources. The debts he listed in his bankruptcy petition include $8,102 to the attorney who represented him in the case, J. Guthrie True.

Farmer’s bankruptcy petition said he was incarcerated from March 2014 until Dec. 18, when he went to a halfway house in Lexington for a short time.

He was released Jan. 21.

Farmer worked for a couple of months at Shiloh Roadhouse, a popular restaurant in London, said the owner, Scott Smith.

Farmer worked as a host, greeting people and showing them to tables.

Smith said he knew Farmer before he went to prison, and it seemed his religious faith had grown behind bars. He talked of leading Bible studies in prison, Smith said.

Farmer looked good physically and had a great attitude, Smith said.

“He just came in and worked hard,” Smith said. “Wanted to do whatever it takes to start over again.”

Smith said he thought Farmer left to look for another job.

Bill Estep: 606-678-4655, @billestep1

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article76177537.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article76177537.html

Hard to tell how much of this is his own personality or drunk privilege from being a UK bb player . Either way it rests on him for abusing his position and influence . For some people even local fame is just too much responsibility to handle . Who knows what he's learned from this but he's been mostly stripped of the tools to do it again .

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving POS.

Damn travesty he ever wore a UK uniform.

For those who want to preach forgiveness, second chances, yada, yada, go right ahead.

Karma is a bitch.

People handle success in different ways. He may be a POS, a crook, a thief, but the only thing I know of him that is not distorted is his playing days at UK.
He brought many good memories to me playing for the Big Blue. What he does with his personal life is his to deal with.
I haven't seen any scale of ranking crimes, so his is any worse than Pitinio? Rex? Crime is crime.
Glass houses anyone?
Let them man get back on his feet.

Reactions: Ugoff
The thing that bothered me was his comments about wanting to be able to see his son play.That was such an entitled comment.No one else charged with a crime would ask for such a thing.I'm all for second chances but he needs to realize he's not special and work from scratch to turn his life around.

Looks like he is seeking a hand out from the state. Don't blame him if you can get $250K for free. He may have funneled some money through his parents and living off that now.

Wasn't his dad a successful insurance agent in Clay County?

I don't know the family, but accusing his parents of having money funneled through them doesn't feel appropriate. That would make them felons too, wouldn't it?

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Well I hope he gets his life back together, but it's hard for me to have sympathy for him now. He had everything a Kentucky kid could have ask for, good family, playing basketball and getting a degree from the University of Kentucky and then holding public office for the state. Then used bad judgement and broke the law and embarrassed his family and his friends. No matter how old you are , you still have family and friends to confide in and preachers and old teachers to help you when you are struggling. Richie was up there with King Kelly Coleman and other Kentucky high school legends, I hate what happened and hope he gets it together.

Reactions: musrat59
I've never liked Farmer. Everytime I've ever seen him , he has walked around with his chest stuck out like he is something special. He acted like he was struck on himself or something. I'm all for forgiveness, but sympathy is something I have none of for Farmer.

Reactions: Chuckinden
He's got to earn that trust back,hoping he does.

Wasn't his dad a successful insurance agent in Clay County?

I don't know the family, but accusing his parents of having money funneled through them doesn't feel appropriate. That would make them felons too, wouldn't it?

Don't know his family. I was trying to be careful with that but to think it would be above him considering all that he did do that we know would be naive. Even good parents can become victims of their children.

For those who want to preach forgiveness, second chances, yada, yada, go right ahead.

Karma is a bitch.
Lol what do you really think?

Don't know his family. I was trying to be careful with that but to think it would be above him considering all that he did do that we know would be naive. Even good parents can become victims of their children.

Sadly, it happens ALL the time.

I've never liked Farmer. Everytime I've ever seen him , he has walked around with his chest stuck out like he is something special. He acted like he was struck on himself or something. I'm all for forgiveness, but sympathy is something I have none of for Farmer.
I loved Richie farmer in that movie Harry and the hendersons. He was great! By far the harriest college player ever

I was always a big fan of Richies, being from EKY myself. Remember listening to some of his state tournament games when I was at work, thinking how awesome it must be to be Richie Farmer. Now, not so much.

I hope he lands on his feet. Can't feel sorry for someone that had it all and through stupidity and arrogance, lost it all.

Karma is a bitch.

I hope you never need a second chance. Otherwise you might be singing a different tune.

Reactions: Kybluedude
People handle success in different ways. He may be a POS, a crook, a thief, but the only thing I know of him that is not distorted is his playing days at UK.
He brought many good memories to me playing for the Big Blue. What he does with his personal life is his to deal with.
I haven't seen any scale of ranking crimes, so his is any worse than Pitinio? Rex? Crime is crime.
Glass houses anyone?
Let them man get back on his feet.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you said, but not all crime is equal. There is a rough ranking of crimes. For example, murder is worse than petty theft. To say "crime is crime" is not accurate at all.

Also, people aren't really mad about his personal life decisions. People are upset with his professional life decisions. You know, misappropriating public funds, i.e. the taxes paid by the citizens of Kentucky.

How in the hell does he work for 10 years for the state and only have $23k in pension? State does 401k right? That kind of job, getting that much free stuff and favors and he nets $23k in a pension fund? I hope he's learned his lesson and gets back on his feet too.

He was fine until he got into politics and we all know the reputation the Commonwealth has in that regard. Memories of his Clay Country and UK performances will never fade. Here's hoping he makes a successful comeback and I'm pulling for him.

I feel like Farmer Had everything and threw it away
He clearly didn't have everything, or he wouldn't have needed to steal that filing cabinet.

All kidding aside, I do hope he gets his life together. What would a better story for a former UK player? A guy that turns his life around and becomes a productive member of society? Or a guy that hits rock bottom, gives up, and stays on those food stamps till he dies?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT