ADVERTISEMENT

Richard “Master Blaster” Madison….one of my all-time favorite nicknames!

Arguably the most disappointing player ever to lace ‘em up for the Cats. Sometimes he was spectacular, but too often he was merely pedestrian.

Arguably the most disappointing player ever to lace ‘em up for the Cats. Sometimes he was spectacular, but too often he was merely pedestrian.
His senior year was insanely disappointing. He went from 9.1ppg/7.4rpg/55%fg his junior year to 2.9ppg/3.1rpg/42%fg his senior year. Was a huge recruit coming in (McDonald's AA) along with Ed Davender, Rob Lock and Cedric Jenkins. Potentially the most disappointing recruiting class in UK history.

As for nicknames, give me "Baby Magic".

I got to play when him once. He didn't really try and just shot 30 footers the whole game.

Bob "the frog" Fowler
Jay "blond bomber" Shidler
King and Kong Phillips and Robey
Jack "goose" Givins

Jack “Goose” Givens.
The whole crowd would shout “ Goose Goose Goose Yeah!! “ while his shot was in the air.

images

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Madison came to UK heralded as a multi sport superstar. Had college football offers, if I remember correctly, and threw a baseball 90 miles an hour as a pitcher. He was a pretty good rebounder and always played well against Louisville.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Madison was a great person. He and I did some youth games at the Y together as coaches during his time in Lexington. We played a little 3 on 3 and he just played to the competition. He did not try to show everyone in the gym what he could do. He ran it with normal guys at the Y. He would score when he wanted and rebound when needed. On the court for UK he did not become the Master Blaster we all hoped he would. He had a few great games. Not sure what he is doing now.

Reactions: katwest
I played pool with him in Wildcat lodge, he was a great guy and so laid back. He had all the talent in the world but not the drive to use it all the time. He is the only guy I've ever seen that it didn't bother to sit on the bench.

I never got the potential argument for him.
I guess he was athletic, but I don't remember him being skilled and he wasn't that tall.
I always thought we got out of him what was to be expected really.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT