ADVERTISEMENT

Rhianna Half Time Show

Didn't watch a minute of the entire SB and had a great evening. Finding out who and what I missed in the halftime show made me appreciate my decision even more. Congrats to the singer that's expecting and to her husband.

If there’s anything I value least in this world it’s old white men’s opinions about black artists and music.

Ya’ll still think Elvis invented rock and roll.
I don't know a single white dude who believes Elvis "invented" rock and roll. Elvis himself said he had lots of black influencers for his music and I don't see any whiteys calling him a liar. BTW, you don't realize it but you are a racist.

Not sure why this is a race-based conversation. Rhianna has good anthemic pop songs that everyone knows, so theoretically she could have been a good choice for the masses. But she was clearly lip synching (they all do, but she was more blatant about it) and barely moved around (perhaps due to her pregnancy, I guess). The focus was more on the other dancers than her. There was no emotional connection at all between her and the audience. The production was beautiful, but there was something missing from the whole thing.

So apparently the NFL creates a short list of stars that are popular (so mainstream pop often) and then the host city picks from that shortlist.

Who in those cities gets to choose? I don't know.

You're projecting.
PopQuiz81
0x0.jpg

The elevated stages were pretty cool. I do not think we have seen it done to that magnitude in any previous superbowls. Seems like it also might of helped save the field. I can't imagine how much the field would of gotten torn up if there would of been a lot of people on the actual field with the normal type stages they set up.

Rhianna did great. She is pregnant and the girl has some pipes. I thought overall it was pretty entertaining.

I do know that there is not enough money in the world to get me on one of those platforms. Watching me piss myself would be better than the Black Eyed Peas performance, but not by much

Reactions: GeraldV
I thought it was fine. At some points the dancers looked like white Ewoks. Another time, the dancers were turned with their backs to the camera and they looked like a bunch of tiny KKK members so that seemed really strange.

I'd like to see a behind the scenes showing how the platforms were all rigged.

Pretty amazing people don't understand music is a subjective subject and people have different tastes and it has nothing to do with race.

Saying a musician or performance is objectively enjoyable is just ridiculous.

I really don't get the lip syncing. I know apparently there is some audio delay or something but we see people kill the national anthem. Doesn't that have the same challenge?

It was a solid halftime show. Its not like a normal concert and is more for the spectacle and visuals than the singing.

Last years was fun with snoop dog, 50, Dr Dre and Eminem.

I'm not sure people realize how difficult a decision is it to choose an artist or band for something like halftime. You don't want repeats, you don't want bands with long ass intros (Metallica for instance) because you don't have a half hour, you need to appeal to different age groups at one time, you want someone who most of the world already knows exists and is currently successful, and it's gotta be a large party atmosphere. Would I like to see Chris Stapleton do it in a few years? Sure. Would it also be boring because he'd just stand there belting out soulful, bluesy tones while the rest of the country wants a light show and big props? Sure.

Not that I'm a fan, but the perfect halftime show performer would be Taylor Swift, and I'm sure the committee in charge of the event has probably asked her every year for the last decade.

I liked the different levels of stages, that was cool. The choreography of the dancer's was good as well.. I have niece who dances and does a lot of the choreography of their shows so I know that takes a lot of work and practice. so I respect that..that being said, I thought Rihanna herself sucked..i tell my wife all of the time, if a singer has to have dancers, pyrotechnics, a dazzling light show, they are covering up for the fact they suck as a singer..I vote for Chris Stapleton for next years' show..

I vote for Chris Stapleton for next years' show..
As I said in my post, I'd love that, but it'll never happen unless the Super Bowl comes to Nashville and the theme is a celebration of Country with several other artists involved. For the halftime show, you've gotta have the lights, the action, the big set-pieces. Stapleton just standing in place singing slow Tennessee Whiskey-type songs for 14 minutes isn't a spectacle, which is what the halftime show is. I love the guy, but for a large portion of the audience who only watches that part of the event he'd put a lot of people to sleep. Same reason why you'll never see Jason Isbell at halftime in front of the world singing "Cover Me Up" and "Elephant".

Reactions: ganner918
My pick for next year:

The Foo Fighters with Chris Novoselic joining him to do a FF/Nirvana medley sprinkled with maybe a Chris Cornell/Soundgarden tribute and/or a Prince cover tribute as a nod to Prince covering them in 2007. It's time to bring a rock act back on stage. Been too long.

More likely- Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Drake, or Justin Bieber.

Not sure why this thread went off the rails. But I do find it hilarious when someone prejudges an entire demographic, like “old white men”, and proclaims that demographic to be prejudiced. I laughed!

Back to the original topic… it wasn’t the worst ever halftime show! It was slightly better than the one featuring that clown that let a 6 year old with a tattoo gun draw doodles on his face.

Tell that to Prince, Bruce, Mick, Bono....you know, actual singing, music w/ instruments and stuff.
Yeah the iconic performance by Prince almost didn't happen because of the forecast of rain. They were afraid with the rain and guitars/mics that someone would get electrocuted. They wanted to do pre-recorded music but Prince said no and the rest is history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT