ADVERTISEMENT

Rex Chapman…. Just how good was he?

Would you take him over say, Ron Mercer if you had them both for 3 years?
just in the last few years if they all played 3 years i would take Quickley, Maxey and Herro over him
of course it is a different game today

as far as your question he was very good college player and a good pro player
as others have stated he was a better player than person even in his UK days

Reactions: Gromcat
I was born in 79 and really don’t remember Rex either I was really too young when he played. My first years of really remembering UK basketball was the 90’s

And what a time for us to remember! I remember hearing my father say “we’re down 10” and looking up at the game thinking “we’ll come back we always do’.

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
just in the last few years if they all played 3 years i would take Quickley, Maxey and Herro over him
of course it is a different game today

as far as your question he was very good college player and a good pro player
as others have stated he was a better player than person even in his UK days

You’d seriously take those 3 over him? I don’t know man, I’ve been watching a lot of his games and I can’t see that.

RAqI7NR.jpg

And what a time for us to remember! I remember hearing my father say “we’re down 10” and looking up at the game thinking “we’ll come back we always do’.
Exactly with a Rick Pitino coached team we were never out of a game if we were down. On the flip side of that we would blow teams out Rick wouldn’t play good old stall ball he would put his foot on the opponents throat! Run and Gun and Press full court ,man it takes me back to the good old days when I think about it.

Exactly with a Rick Pitino coached team we were never out of a game if we were down. On the flip side of that we would blow teams out Rick wouldn’t play good old stall ball he would put his foot on the opponents throat! Run and Gun and Press full court ,man it takes me back to the good old days when I think about it.

Think about Rex on the 96 team…undefeated?

I ran down my leg a little

I’ll just ask it. Whites are rarities these days in basketball.

Is he a top 5 white player of all time?

Bird obviously….then?

• Haha
Reactions: J_Dee
Okay college basketball white players then. He’s gotta be up there on that list.

He's even lower on the college list than he is the pro list.

Issel, Pistol Pete, Bird, Walton, West, Mikan, Barry, Lucas, even Laettner. And many, many more.

Laettner? Just watching I can’t see that. I know he won two rings, but to me Christian was overrated. Aside from Chapman I just don’t think he’s as good as people think.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
He's even lower on the college list than he is the pro list.

Issel, Pistol Pete, Bird, Walton, West, Mikan, Barry, Lucas, even Laettner. And many, many more.

Too 20? I think we could easily say top 20.

In all seriousness let’s say this, where does he rank at UK? Whites only.

1. Issel
2?

Go through 10. Louie Dampier is my favorite retro guy.

I’ll say this, Chap scored 39 on Jordan. The 72-10 Bulls, Jordan. Good grief, he’s gotta be up there on our list.

Some down home revisionist blue colored glasses history being used a lot in this thread. Rex was a great player. He was the 8th overall pick.

But let’s keep it real. He’s not in the top 10 all time at UK in any career, season, or single game statistical category. There’s a plethora of players I’d take over him at UK if I was building an all-time team.

Some down home revisionist blue colored glasses history being used a lot in this thread. Rex was a great player. He was the 8th overall pick.

But let’s keep it real. He’s not in the top 10 all time at UK in any career, season, or single game statistical category. There’s a plethora of players I’d take over him at UK if I was building an all-time team.

Where do you honestly place him all time at UK?

Top 20? 30?

1. Issel
2?

I’ll say this, Chap scored 39 on Jordan. The 72-10 Bulls, Jordan. Good grief, he’s gotta be up there on our list.

His competition after Issel is Dampier, Hagan, Ramsey, Grevey, Macy, Groza, Nash, Burrow, Spivey, Beard, and Wah-Wah. And that's just off the top of my head.

His competition after Issel is Dampier, Hagan, Ramsey, Grevey, Macy, Groza, Nash, Burrow, Spivey, Beard, and Wah-Wah. And that's just off the top of my head.

Just watching him, he’s definitely better than Macy or Ramsey.

1. Issel
2?

WTF is wrong with you with this whites only nonsense?

Take a breath and check yourself.

Considering Rex is a classic example of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, this thread has probably made his day.

In response to the original question, he was a fantastic talent and player. Not even close to Mashburn though. Obviously some issues in his personal life.

Reactions: J_Dee
[/QUOTE]
Led the team in scoring the 2 years he played. Streaky shooter but didn’t over shoot. Athletic ( i.e. Jeff Sheppard). Good shooter off the dribble. Got great elevation on his jump shot.

Was and could have maybe been the most beloved player ever to play at UK. You know the rest of the story.

Shep is one of the best athletes I've ever seen. He could jump out of the gym. The block of Kareem Reid at rim was absurd. Also freeze frames of him jumping knee high on jump shot of Michael Doleac or one of those tall Utes. Incredible athlete.

Last edited:
Considering Rex is a classic example of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, this thread has probably made his day.

In response to the original question, he was a fantastic talent and player. Not even close to Mashburn though. Obviously some issues in his personal life.
Could there be any two past UK icons than RC and Richie that stepped in it to the ultimate degree in Kentucky? Both could very easily be/been super heros in this state.

No reason really. Whites are more of a rarity in basketball these days, so it’s just something to look at.

Why not?
I actually don’t think they are more of a rarity than say 20 -30 years ago. Just my thought, no data. Look at the influx of European players in college and NBA that has happened in that time frame.

Reactions: Gromcat
He was a goat of his time. Skills not like most awkward white dudes. He had huge hops, flashy dunks and shot the hell out of the ball. All the while hearing a whispered earful from Kentucky fans that didn't think whites should date blacks. And he still has love for UK. He's an all time UK great. Both on the court and off.
Off the court? Seriously? Politics aside, he is a "social media influencer". Does that impress you? It doesn't impress me- it's a joke. What's more, he's a convicted felon.

Reactions: gollumcat
I actually don’t think they are more of a rarity than say 20 -30 years ago. Just my thought, no data. Look at the influx of European players in college and NBA that has happened in that time frame.

Probably true for these days. It’s turning out to be a little more balanced than it was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT