ADVERTISEMENT

Remember When John Calipari Wouldn't Start Reed Sheppard?

Reed will always be one of us.

Can’t say the same about Cal.
Sorry...I just don't feel the same. Now he's just another one of the old coaches hired mercenaries that used Kentucky for one year to get himself drafted. No different from all the others and soon to be forgotten. I'm really disappointed in his decision; I knew it was probably coming, but I wanted him to be different.

Sorry...I just don't feel the same. Now he's just another one of the old coaches hired mercenaries that used Kentucky for one year to get himself drafted. No different from all the others and soon to be forgotten. I'm really disappointed in his decision; I knew it was probably coming, but I wanted him to be different.
You are a stupid, shellfish, ignorant, asshole who makes our fanbase look bad.

So if a kid who is literally UK basketball royalty doesn’t come back for a second year that should tell you that’s just how it is these days. No kid is putting their NBA aspirations behind their love for a program. Guys do not care about a program’s tradition or historical success. It just doesn’t matter. It’s about time some UK fans realize the world has changed and stop thinking it makes the kids selfish or mercenaries. It’s just reality.

You are a stupid, shellfish, ignorant, asshole who makes our fanbase look bad.
No, just an honest man who has been a Kentucky fan for 60 years and is tired of this one and done garbage. I don't wish anything bad on the kid, but I would have loved for him to be loyal to Kentucky, but he's just like the others.

Obviously, since you have to start calling people names and have to act so outraged, you are the one that makes our fanbase look bad. Seems you should have followed the destroyer to Arkansas.

Trying to improve DJ stock.

To be honest IF it was not for Reed being a legacy player. And feeling statewide pressure to recruit him.
If not for that NO WAY Cal would have recruited him.

Only way he got his minutes was he just performed and made Cal play him.
If that 1st game or so would have been bad or average. He would have sat from that point on.

That’s a really poor take. In no way can he be lumped into the mercenary pool. He exploded onto the scene and worked his way into a likely top 10 draft selection. Not like he’s leaving for a potential 2nd rd selection and taking his chances like the group you are lumping him into. I hate the one and done with a passion, don’t watch the NBA as a result, would have loved him for a 2nd year obviously but hard to blame him and saying he used UK is just a horrible take on his situation.

While they won't agree with you, you speak the truth. Take away the name Sheppard and the fact he is from KY, and he would be the exact same in their eyes as the other players who used UK.

Cal can go to the draft now and get screen time with two lotto picks though. I’m sure he will be there to support Rob and Reed on their big day.

• Haha
Reactions: LmdCat
While they won't agree with you, you speak the truth. Take away the name Sheppard and the fact he is from KY, and he would be the exact same in their eyes as the other players who used UK.

Oh absolutely. It's only because of who his dad is and what state he's from.

I dont blame him or anyone for taking money at 18 or 19. Only losers wouldn't make more money at that age.

I guarantee if you played one season for Kentucky and were a projected top 5 draft pick you would declare so fast we would all get whiplash. Feel free to say otherwise, but everyone here will just know you’re a liar.

It’s not like Reed is anticipated to be a late first or even second round pick. Lottery picks almost have to go due to the insane contract. If he was projected mid first round this isn’t even a debate, I believe he comes back. That’s the difference between someone like Reed and all of the other players who bail ASAP.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Oh absolutely. It's only because of who his dad is and what state he's from.

I dont blame him or anyone for taking money at 18 or 19. Only losers wouldn't make more money at that age.
No one is saying don't take the money, but that literally proves it was primarily about the money and not a legacy, the program or the fans. Which is just like the other good freshman we have had here that were OAD that are often referred to as hired assassins.

Take away the name and the state he is from and there is no difference in him and them. I have no issues with any of them taking the money and running. Most all of us would do the same. However, lets not act like he was in any way different.

Reactions: thedahc
Hey y'all, remember when John Calipari wouldn't start Reed Sheppard? Remember when Cal wasted our entire season trotting out Wagner and Edwards and digging an 8-10 point hole at the beginning of every game?

Totally worth squandering Reed and Dilly's only year here wasn't it?
That's what I tried to say, and I got shamed and banned.

Why on earth would Shep want to come back to this sh**show after being treated worse than Hawkins in the Saul era.

So if a kid who is literally UK basketball royalty doesn’t come back for a second year that should tell you that’s just how it is these days. No kid is putting their NBA aspirations behind their love for a program. Guys do not care about a program’s tradition or historical success. It just doesn’t matter. It’s about time some UK fans realize the world has changed and stop thinking it makes the kids selfish or mercenaries. It’s just reality.
They can care plenty and still not have it override reason.

The kid is a lottery pick with no realistic chance to improve his stock or even likely tread water.

What percentage of your lifetime earnings and career opportunities are you sacrificing for tradition or historical success?

And Dillingham.

Two most talented players on the team and he flat out refused to start either of them. When has that ever happened anywhere else in CBB history?

Never understood how people couldn’t see what was going on there. To me it’s fairly obvious. Cal should have been told mid season to start Dilly and Reed or face serious consequences. There’s a reason they made their move to have him removed after this year.

The bigger issue is, why someone in the media wouldn’t hold his feet to the fire over it. We have the analytics clearing showing his best lineup never saw the floor much.

It’s so bad it’s almost like he didn’t even want to win.

Fail and bail player #87

Reactions: KFuqua
Hey y'all, remember when John Calipari wouldn't start Reed Sheppard? Remember when Cal wasted our entire season trotting out Wagner and Edwards and digging an 8-10 point hole at the beginning of every game?

Totally worth squandering Reed and Dilly's only year here wasn't it?
Yeah but he will be there to pat him on the back when he goes in the lottery.

But he his from KY, he is a legacy player. He didn’t sign with KY because of cal or the quickest path to the NBA. He signed because he grew up dreaming of playing for KY. He would have came here if whacking Daffy Duck had been the coach. The fact he ended up being good enough in his freshmen campaign to get bumped into the top 10 is all credit to him. I’m sure he had zero intentions of this when he first committed unlike the true cal mercenaries who already have one foot out the door before their first practice. Will also point out he was the only “one and done player” to not miss a single game due to sickness or “injury”.

He IS different

Did you see his interview after Oakland? Don’t compare him to all the other one and dones. Most of this board this time last year was saying he could not even play at Kentucky. He came in and killed it. Best freshman in college basketball. He will not fall out of the top 10 picks. Disappointed in his decision? 😂 I’m sure if you faced the same dilemma you would turn the draft down too …. 🫠

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
But he his from KY, he is a legacy player. He didn’t sign with KY because of cal or the quickest path to the NBA. He signed because he grew up dreaming of playing for KY. He would have came here if whacking Daffy Duck had been the coach. The fact he ended up being good enough in his freshmen campaign to get bumped into the top 10 is all credit to him. I’m sure he had zero intentions of this when he first committed unlike the true cal mercenaries who already have one foot out the door before their first practice. Will also point out he was the only “one and done player” to not miss a single game due to sickness or “injury”.
Sounds like a less accomplished Shai that had the accident of a different birth place and parents.
He contributed exactly zero to either consideration.

The mercenaries garbage is delusional sour grapes.

It is pure I love Reed so he is magically different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT